Chapter 89

Don woke up and smiled that Meryl was still curled up to his side. He didn't know how that was comfortable with her pregnant belly but he was just glad that she seemed to be in a restful sleep. He stroked her hair and smiled when he saw her smiling in her sleep. He was so proud of her and Henry and the progress they had made in the past week. By the end of their time in Indianapolis Henry had stopped screaming whenever he and Meryl would go to the trial. He and Meryl could be in separate rooms without jumping out of their skin. It was HUGE that Meryl went to the store by herself and that Henry slept in his room all night by himself. He knew what they went through in that hell hole; but he didn't think he would ever completely understand everything they went through. He was just so glad and relieved that they were all back where they belonged-together and in their home. It still made Don sick to think about everything they went through, it made him sick to see the damage his wife sustained every time he put on her ointment, his heart broke when she had a panic attack due to sleeping with the lights off. While they had all made HUGE strides in their healing; he knew they still had a ways to go and he was so grateful that he was the one with her, and with Henry. Don was brought out of his thoughts when he felt Meryl stretching in his arms as she woke up. Don smiled when he saw her smiling up at him. "Well, good morning, beautiful."

"Hi, handsome." Meryl said kissing his lips and saw from his alarm clock how early it was. "Why are you awake so early?"

Don shrugged. "I just woke up and I have been greatly enjoying watching my wife sleep in my arms."

"Don." Meryl started. "If you need to sleep in another room where it's completely dark I under-"

Don cut off what she was saying by pressing his lips to hers. "No way. We sleep together end of story. I can't sleep without you. I WON'T sleep without you. We're a package deal. You need the light on to sleep then we will sleep with the light on. I will turn every damn light on if it makes you feel safer and you can probably sleep."

"Thank you, baby; so much." Meryl choked.

Don kissed her forehead as he gave her the Don Gummer smile she loved so much. "I just want you to feel safe."

"I do, with you." Meryl said as she winked at him and then got a serious look on her face. "I don't know what happened last night. I really thought I was ready. I'm feeling so much better in so many ways. I mean that panic attack in Maine was just because of my dream."

Don nodded. "Which you could have had because the breaker tripped; and the lights were out. Sweetheart, if we slept with the light on for the rest of your lives, I couldn't care less. I couldn't care less because you are with me, safe; so is Henry. That is all that truly matters to me. While you were sleeping that's what I was thinking about-how glad I am that I'm the one you cuddle up to at night. That I'm the one Henry calls 'Daddy.' That I'm the one you reach out for in your sleep. That I'm the one you call out for when you're having a nightmare. That I'm the one to hold you. I don't care about the lights being on. All I want is you."

"All I want is you." Meryl choked as she leaned her forehead against his. "Thank you; thank you for being you and the love of my life."

Don nibbled on her lips as his lips then trailed across her face and neck. "Thank you for being mine."

"Henry still asleep?" Meryl asked as she laid her head back down on his chest.

Don nodded as he stroked her hair knowing how safe it made her feel. "I haven't heard him. I didn't want to check on him because you looked so cute and peaceful."

"I'm already in your bed, Gummer." Meryl teased. "You don't need to flirt."

Don smiled into her hair. "Don't you know, my beautiful and breathtaking wife, that flirting with you is one of my favorite pastimes?"