Chapter 68

Don woke up to soft voices and laughter. The more he woke up the more he recognized those voices and knew Henry and Meryl were awake. Don turned over onto his side and smiled at the sight of Meryl sitting on the love seat in their bedroom playing with Henry. It was a sight he had missed so much; and he couldn't help but be captured by the fact that they both looked so relaxed and happy. Don scooted more to the edge of the bed that was closest to where they were and smiled. "What are you two up to?"

"DADDY!" Henry clapped happily.

Meryl smiled as she picked up Henry and carried him over to the bed and sat next to Don and then giving him a good morning kiss. "Hey there, baby."

"How are my loves this morning?" Don asked trying to remain happy and upbeat.

Meryl smiled as Don sat up and Henry climbed up on his lap. "Good. No nightmares."

"No bad man, Daddy." Henry smiled.

Don kissed Henry's head and then Meryl's lips. "I'm so glad. So, my plan worked?"

"Your plan worked." Meryl smiled as she ran her hands over his head. "Hen woke up a little while ago and I didn't want him to wake you up, but I also didn't want to leave the room and worry you, so we've just been playing."

Henry nodded. "You pay, Daddy."

"Let's let Daddy wake up." Meryl smiled. "How are you feeling, baby? You have been doing way more than you supposed to."

Don ran his fingers through her hair. "So have YOU. You are still healing in MANY different ways and have preeclampsia. I should have been the one to get up with him."

"I didn't want to wake you." Meryl said lacing her fingers through his. "So, I was thinking I think I know one of the reasons Henry had a good night." Don nodded for her to continue; knowing she meant he didn't have any nightmares about the bad man. "His little butt was worn out by playing all afternoon yesterday. What if we called Larry and Liz and see if they all want to go to the park? It'd be nice to get out and this boy has been cooped up for almost 2 weeks; I think it would be good for all of us."

Don couldn't miss the change in her. "Are you comfortable with that? Leaving the apartment? Being out in public and everything? I mean you two will be right with me and I won't let ANYTHING happen."

"I know, Don Man, that's one reason why I feel comfortable." Meryl said. "We need to live our lives. We need Henry to live his life. I wouldn't want us to be out really long cause I want you to rest."

Don nodded as he winked at her. "You need to rest as well."

"I knew that would be coming." Meryl smiled. "We could go late in the morning morning, come back and eat lunch and then take a nap."

Don smiled as he kissed her. "I think that is a wonderful idea. Come on, let's go make breakfast and I'll call Larry."

"Me hungwy!" Henry babbled. "Me eat yum."

Meryl laughed as she picked him up then took Don's hand in her free one. "Come on, Daddy, your boy is hungry. So are your wife and baby!"

***

Don and Meryl were enjoying breakfast when the phone rang and Don started to get up when Meryl carefully pushed him down and placed a kiss on his head. "You eat; I'll get it."

"You need to eat too." Don said as Meryl nodded and answered the phone. Don then looked at Henry. "Women."

Henry nodded as he shrugged. "Weemen."

"Donald Gummer." Meryl chuckled at father and son as she answered the phone. "Hello?"

Mary was surprised at how happy her daughter sounded. "Meryl? How are you baby girl?"