Chapter 64

Okay, buddy, here's some juice and Cheerios." Don said kissing Henry on the head. "You didn't sleep very well did you? You're up pretty early after your early morning play time."

Henry shook his head. "No sweep, Daddy. Scawy. Bad man scweams."

"He did?" Don asked his son while stroking his pudgy cheek and kissed them. "Daddy is so sorry, Henry. He is NEVER getting to you and Mommy again."

Henry smile. "I happy now."

"I'm glad, buddy." Don choked when he thought of everything his wife and son went through. Yes, she told him what happened but he knew he could never quite understand what they went through. "I always want you happy."

Don and Henry both froze when they heard Meryl's blood curdling screams from the living room. "Bad man!" Henry cried. "No, bad man, Daddy."

"Come on, Hen." Don said quickly getting him from his high chair and running with him into the living room. He knew he wasn't supposed to but he didn't give a shit. He was shaking when he saw his wife on the floor, holding her stomach, and rocking herself back and forth. Henry was crying. Don was trying not to cry. He ran over and put Henry in his pack and play and dragged it closer to Meryl. "I know you're scared, buddy, but I need to help Mommy."

Meryl was shaking her head as she buried it in her knees. "No, God no, not again. I can't go through this."

"Baby." Don said kneeling in front of her trying to take her hands into his. "It's me, sweetheart."

Meryl started flailing and kicking and hitting Don. "Get away you fucker!"

"MERYL!" Don yelled as she got up and he was trying to recover from the blows she gave him. He knew his face was bleeding but he didn't care. She was hysterical. Henry was hysterical. He was just fucking scared. He saw her run towards the phone and he managed to run in front of her and cup her head in his hands. "Darl, it's me, it's Don. You're safe, baby, he's not here." Meryl was still struggling thinking it was Mann in front of her. Don didn't know what else to do so he took her in his arms and started singing his song to her that he called Meryl's Song when it was really Annie's Song by John Denver. He didn't know what to do. He let her fight and scream until he got through to her. Don didn't know if he could find his voice but he had to, for her.

You fill up my senses like a night in the forest,
like the mountains in springtime, like a walk in the rain,
like a storm in the desert, like a sleepy blue ocean.
You fill up my senses, come fill me again.

Meryl slowly stopped struggling as Don continued to serenade her.

Come let me love you, let me give my life to you,
let me drown in your laughter, let me die in your arms,
let me lay down beside you, let me always be with you.
Come let me love you, come love me again.

Meryl pulled away and looked into his eyes; that's when she saw him-her husband. She saw love in those eyes but she also saw immense worry.

You fill up my senses like a night in the forest,
like the mountains in springtime, like a walk in the rain,
like a storm in the desert, like a sleepy blue ocean.
You fill up my senses, come fill me again.

"Oh, Don." Meryl cried against his chest. "I thought you were him. My God, what is fucking wrong with me?"

Don held her as tightly as possible. "Shhhhh....you have been fucking terrorized by that psychopath. That's what's wrong. He's gone, baby, he's gone."

"MOMMY!" Henry was screaming. "NO BAD MAN, DADDY! NO!"

Don pulled away and kissed her forehead. "He's been pretty upset since we heard you screaming. Will you be okay for a second if I go check on him?"