Chapter 47

"What do you think you're doing?" Meryl asked walking into the office she shared with her husband to find him on the phone. They had just gotten home not long before and Henry was still sleeping from his afternoon nap. After calling Dana to see if he and Mary could babysit that night Don was trying to make plans.

Don winked as he hung up the phone before he started dialing. "I was going to make dinner reservations for tonight.

"I don't think so, Mr. Gummer. I'm in charge tonight." Meryl flirted.

"I love it when you try to direct me." Don said making her laugh as he pulled her to him. "Baby, this was my idea. I want to plan it."

Meryl shook her head as she placed kisses on his chest that was revealed by his top buttons being undone. "You have surprised me over and over. You have held me when I cried. You have massaged my tired and stressed body every night this week. You carried me out of the courtroom and into the hospital. Hell, you even insisted on carrying me into the apartment when we got back that day. Tonight, is about you."

"Sweetheart, I did all those things because I love you and you mean everything to me. You don't have to pay me back if that's what this is about." Don told her. He didn't want her to think that she needed to repay or thank him.

Meryl leaned up on her tip toes as she placed kisses all over his neck and face. "You are my world and I love you more than anything. This isn't about paying you back. This is about romancing my man. I mean, women can romance too you know."

"Yes, my gorgeous feminist wife, you can." Don said as he kissed her lips.

Meryl moaned as his lips traveled from her lips to her chin and down her throat. "Take me to bed."

"Already?" Don moaned against her mouth as she pulled his head back to hers and attacked his mouth.

Meryl started to trail her hands from his chest and down to his belt buckle then froze when they heard Henry crying. "Damn it."

"It's okay. I want to make it fantastic for you tonight. Go make your plans and I'll take care of him." Don said.

Meryl nodded as she kissed his lips and walked to the phone. "Tonight, Gummer, you're all mine."

*** 

"I love it when you're in charge and blindfold me." Don whispered in her ear while they were riding in the back of the cab.

Meryl giggled like a little school girl. Both of them were relaxed, happy and more in love than ever. "Don. It's part of your surprise."

"I figured we would have to wait until we got home and got rid of your brother and what's her name." Don teased. "Before we got to this part."

Meryl shook her head as she kissed his cheek. "Mary, that's her name. That shouldn't be hard to remember. Mary."

"I can't help it. They leave his life quicker than they come in." Don said making her laugh. "At least it's not Candy." Don smiled when he felt her tense beside him. If he could see her then he could see the fire flashing in her eyes. "No woman HAS EVER or WILL EVER stand a chance next to the love of my life."

Meryl couldn't help the blush that rose from her chest to her neck to her cheeks. "Thank you, baby. We're here."

"The Rainbow Room?" Don asked turning to her shocked once she removed the blindfold. "This is too much, baby."

Meryl looked at him with tears in her eyes as she stroked his cheek. "Don Man, you almost died for me and our family. You have been put through complete and utter HELL as well. You are why I got through this nightmare from fucking HELL. I know you have gone through hell and were breaking on the inside but you remained so strong and positive for me. NOTHING is ever too much when it comes to showing you how much I love you and that you mean the world to me. This is where we came for our first date night."