Chapter 24

"PJ Clarkes?" Don asked smiling at Meryl once they were seated at their table outside, that was luckily close to an outside heater. "Is this warm enough for you?"

Meryl reached for his hand and kissed it. "I'm perfect, my Don Man. Yes, PJ Clarkes. After all this is where we came for our first..."

"Non-date." Don said finishing her sentence.

Meryl laughed at what he said. "Which quickly turned into the most amazing first date, ever."

"I was so worried when I suggested we come here. I didn't want to push you too soon too fast; but I also didn't want some guy to come along and steal your heart before I could just like you had already stolen mine." Don said holding her left hand in both of his.

Meryl smiled as she stroked his cheek with her free hand. "Wasn't going to happen because you had already stolen my heart in that little screening room when you kissed my hand and offered your apartment to me."

"Best move I have ever made in my life." Don flirted with her as he kissed her hand while staring deeply into her green eyes.

This was going just like Meryl hoped and she took this opportunity to assure him. "See, Don Man; you have protected and loved and looked out for me from the very beginning. Then Henry as soon as we found out I was pregnant with him; and now the baby as soon as I told you I was pregnant with him or her. That's who you are, the great Don Gummer. You are always making sure we are happy and safe and loved every moment of every day even if it means your head is drilled open. Which I NEVER EVER want to happen again."

"Ah, so all of this is a little lesson." Don said making her laugh.

Meryl leaned over the table to gently kiss his lips. "I've been found out."

"I love you for it." Don assured her.

Meryl knew that but she also loved hearing it. "In case there was any doubt, I love you, baby."

"I guess no rum and cokes this time." Don said making her laugh.

Meryl shook her head as they both looked at the menu. "For either of us. I just needed them because I was nervous, it being my first date since John."

"You mean non-date?" Don asked trying to not bring her down.

Meryl smiled at him. "Yeah, then that slut Barbara came up and I thought I lost you before I even had you."

"You had me when you first smiled at me at the screening; and then with every letter you sent to me in Europe. From the moment I kissed your hand there hasn't been anyone else for me; there never will be." Don assured her.

Meryl threaded her fingers through his. "Same for me, baby. You had me as well I just needed a little kick in the ass to realize it and I did right here. I knew I needed to embrace the best thing that happened to me, you and your love and patience and compassion and kindness. I'm never going to let it go. This, us, our family, is the best thing ever; and we can't let family or psychos or nightmares make us think otherwise."

"I never will." Don said huskily with a kiss to her lips. "I will NEVER EVER let you or our family go. You truly are the best gift of my life. I just want you to be as happy as you've made me."

Meryl smiled. "I am every day I have you and our babies. You want to make me even happier?Which is very hard to do, by the way."

Don nodded and had a serious look on his face. "Of course, Mer, anything."

"Let's order." She said making him laugh. "I'm starving."

***

"Well, how was it?" Don asked taking a drink from his iced tea.