Chapter 56

"How is she?" Larry asked Dr. Abbott after explaining the Jane episode to him and Mary who happened to come check on her daughter and son-in-law. "She was really upset, rightfully so."

Dr. Abbott nodded as he finished taking her blood pressure. "Her blood pressure is really high which is to be expected with everything she's gone through and with her being so dehydrated. I would like to hook her up to a fetal monitor just to make sure the baby is okay. Her passing out is due to stress and sheer exhaustion."

"Mary, honey, it's Mama." Mary said stroking her daughter's hair. "Come on sweet girl, wake up for us."

Dr. Abbott stood and watched. "Poor kid. I will talk to security and administration that no one in Don's family is allowed near her, Don or Henry."

"Thank you." Larry said. "I will call one of my associates and have them bring over the paperwork as well as Don's living will showing that Meryl makes all the decisions for him."

Mary shook her head as she kissed her daughter's forehead. "I do not understand that woman. First of all, to have a son as wonderful as Don and to treat him like that."

"I've seen it most of my life, Mary." Larry sighed. "I still don't understand it; I never will understand her and James."

Dr. Abbott shook his head. "These two kids have gone through TOO much, as has Henry. I'm going to go get her some medicine to lower her blood pressure and I'll be right back."

"Thank you, doctor." Mary said as she then looked at Larry. "Larry, you have done so much. We love you, but I'm sure you would like to get home to your own family. I'll stay with Don and Meryl."

Larry shook his head. "I promised Don I would look after her and Henry if something happened to him. I intend to do that until he wakes up."

"Well, thank you." Mary smiled as Meryl started moving around. "She's starting to wake up."

Meryl was moaning and moving around in her sleep. "Sorry, Don, I'm sorry."

"Sweetie, wake up, it's Mama." Mary said as she was stroking Meryl's hair and kissed her forehead.

Larry squeezed her hand. "Come on, M, wake up. It's Larry."

"DON!" Meryl gasped as she woke up in a start.

Mary carefully pushed Meryl back down. "He's doing well, sweetie. He's resting."

"Jane?" Meryl cried.

Larry squeezed her hand. "She's gone, M, and won't get near you or Don or Henry."

"Push my bed closer to his." Meryl cried as Larry did just that. Knowing he could move it for the nurses if needed. Meryl buried her head in the crease of his neck. "I love you so much, my Don Man. I'm so sorry you're in here. I wish I were shot and not you. I'll spend the rest of my life making sure I'm good enough for you."

Larry sighed as he turned her head towards him. "And Don will say you are too good for him; he always says that. He feels he doesn't deserve you." Larry said trying to calm her down but it wasn't working. "You two are perfect for each other, I mean that, M. PLEASE don't let Jane get into your head. What she said and TRIED to do was crude and spiteful and so damn hurtful. She just said a relationship with her son good-bye. Look at how upset he was while in a medically induced coma at what she did; and he didn't even hear the worst of it."

"Jane was right." Meryl cried. "I deserved what was done to me for putting Don and Henry in danger. I really have tried to protect both of them during this but I failed. I might as well have pulled the trigger. It's because of me that he's fighting for his life, again."