Chapter 3

After Don and Meryl held each other and Henry all 3 of them laid down for a morning nap, holding one another. While Meryl was making lunch for all of them Don sat on the floor playing with Henry as he talked to Larry on the phone. They decided he would come over later in the day to talk about everything while Henry was taking his afternoon nap. After lunch Meryl laid Henry down for his afternoon nap. She stood over his crib for a long time just watching him sleep, smiling at how much he looked like Don. With a kiss to her fingers she pressed them to his forehead and went out to see what Don was up to. She found Don in the living room of their loft, watching him as it looked like he was finishing putting a deadbolt lock on the front door. They had long since made-up from their fight that morning; she knew how worried he had been when he woke up and he couldn't find her and Henry. However, watching him put an extra lock on their front door only cemented to her just how worried he was. Her heart constricted with love for the man he was. He was always putting her and Henry first; their health and safety was always his number one priority. She decided to make her presence known as she went over and placed a kiss on top of his head. She was rewarded with his Don Gummer smile when he looked up at her. "Hey, baby. Henry go down okay?"

"Yeah, he did. I think all the activity at the Farmer's Market wore him out." Meryl said as she sat down on the floor next to him. "Can I help you?"

"No Darl, I'm almost finished." Don said as he finished screwing in the last screw.

Meryl sat there in silence for a little while until she spoke what was on her mind. "I'm sorry I scared you so much this morning."

"Baby, we've been over it. You don't need to apologize. I should have known I would have been able to know and feel if something happened to either of you. I would have heard commotion or something. I really am sorry for going off the handle." Don apologized again. "By the way, I don't think I've told you yet today how incredibly much I love you, my girl."

Meryl smiled as Don pressed his lips against hers. Both of them moaning as their tongues swept across each other until Meryl broke away and pressed her forehead against his. "I love you so much, my Don Man. What is the lock all about?"

"I said I would put it on when that little boy not far from us was abducted and I never did. I should have done it before that when James and Peggy appeared in New York City. I don't want to worry you. I just want to make sure we are all safe." Don said as he put his tools he had out back in his tool box.

Meryl nodded as she helped him. "You always do. So, is there another key we need to carry?"

"No." Don shook his head. "It's mainly for when we're here, when you and Henry are here alone. I want us to keep this extra lock locked. Just added precaution."

Meryl took his hand as he helped her stand up. "I appreciate that, sweetheart, I want you to be safe too."

"I will be, my love." Don said as he started to press his lips against hers until the phone ring. "Always interrupted."

Meryl laughed as she placed one more kiss on his lips and went to answer the cordless phone that was on it's base there in the living room. "Hello?"

"Meryl, it's Sam." Meryl's agent said on the other end of the line.

Meryl was surprised to hear from him so soon. "Oh, hi Sam." Meryl said as Don's eyes caught hers and he immediately went over to her side. "I'm surprised to hear from you so soon."

"Yeah, well I have news. Is Don there with you?" Sam asked, concerned.

Meryl hadn't taken her eyes away from Don's. "Yeah, he's standing right here. What's up?"

"Can you put me on speaker phone?" Sam asked.

Meryl looked at Don. She was still trying to get used to this fancy new cordless phone with speaker option and answering machine he had recently insisted on buying for them. "Can you switch it to speakerphone? He wants you in on this."