When Sugar Goes Bad

The man in the lab coat walked to the foot of my bed, grabbing my chart and giving it a once over before bringing his eyes to mine. "Hello CeCelia, my name is Dr. Hunter, do you know why you are here?"

My eyes darted to Nick, who looked sick with guilt before turning back to the doctor. "I have a pretty good idea."

Dr. Hunter nodded. "Do you have any questions?"

I shook my head, "Diabetes isn't exactly something new in this family...I'm good." I said, feeling annoyed with the subject already. "So, can I go home now?"

Dr. Hunter's brows rose in a look of disbelief. "No, sweetie, I'm afraid you are going to have to stay for a few days."

I nearly screamed in protest. "DAYS? Why? We pretty much have the whole diabetes thing down at home."

He nodded, flipping through my chart again. "Your levels were very high. In fact, if you had waited another day, I can safely say this outcome would have been very different. You have been responding to treatment amazingly well, but you are far from being out of the woods. We need to monitor you for a couple of days and see how you react to the insulin, but our goal is to get you back home as soon as we can." I nodded with a sigh and nuzzled back down into the pillow. "I will let you two talk. There will be a nurse in here shortly to check on you, get some rest, and just let someone know if you need anything." The doctor hooked my chart back onto the foot of my bed before exiting my room.

I looked over at Nick, who looked even more sick with guilt. "Stop it!"

Nick looked up at me in confusion. "What?"

"Stop looking at me like I'm broken and that it's your fault." I spat fully irritated.

"This is my fault, I should have seen it...I should have known what was going on." He said, walking over to stand at the foot of my bed, lifting my chart to peek at the numbers.

"HOW?" I yelled, "HOW could you have known Nick? NOBODY knew!"

"I SHOULD HAVE!" he said raising his voice to meet mine, "I'm supposed to be taking care of you CeCe, all the signs were there and I just didn't pay attention...one more day....one more day and you could have died."

"BUT I DIDN'T!," I screamed tears now falling from my eyes, "I'm FINE, and you standing there blaming yourself just makes me feel guilty so STOP...YOU don't get to be the one who is sad today!" I rolled over, turning my back to Nick again.

Nick stood there for a moment in shock over my outburst before coming to sit beside me on the bed with a sigh. "Cee, please look at me..." I turned and brought my eyes to Nick's, his face no longer contorted with guilt. "I've been so focused lately on thinking that your bad behavior was because you were rebelling that I didn't pay attention to everything else going on with you and I feel guilty...but you are right, that is my problem, not yours...I'm sorry. I know what you are dealing with, I've been there...and I am here to help you or to talk to or to scream at if that's what you need...just don't shut me out, ok?" I nodded, sitting up enough to wrap my arms around Nick. He let out a sigh of relief before pulling me closer and placing a kiss on the top of my head. "Love you."

I smiled, snuggling closer into his shoulder. "Love you too."

****

It was nearly 2am when I woke from my sleep as the bed shifted underneath me, I opened my eyes to see my bed intruder as she snuggled under the blankets. "Cat?"

Cat smiled, gently pushing me aside with her hip, "Scoot over bed hog."

I scooted over, allowing her to lay beside me in the small hospital bed. "What are you doing here?"

Cat sighed. "I couldn't sleep, I had a scary dream that I was at work, and the gummy bears came alive. They teamed up with the sour patch kids and attacked me. I was screaming, 'Help! Help!' and the twizzlers just stood there and did nothing...after everything I've done for them."

I giggled,"Wow...that is scary."

"I know right...so I couldn't go back to sleep. I mean, there was far too much candy in my house. It wasn't safe. So, I thought I would come visit you. Where is your brother?"

"The nurses kicked him out at 10. They said visiting hours were over...how did you get in here?"

"Um, hello....they're called boobs." Cat said, gesturing to her chest, "and it probably didn't hurt that I brought them candy."

"Let me guess...gummy bears and sour patch kids?" I said, taking a wild guess.

Cat nodded, "And those damned traitor twizzlers."

Chapter End notes:
This was an actual dream I had one time...it was terrifying.