New Kid

After ingesting what seemed like half a bottle of Nyquil, I finally stopped coughing enough to drift into a deep sleep, I was awoken shortly after 3:30 when Morgan came busting through the front door slamming it shut behind her as she called out my name running up the stairs toward my room.

“What’s your damage woman, I am right here.” I called out, stopping Morgan in her tracks halfway up the stairs. She quickly turned around and ran toward the couch.

“Ohmygosh, so you missed everything today, and I had to come fill you in before the boys got home.” Morgan said nearly out of breath.

“Did you run all the way here? What on earth could be that important?” I questioned my curiosity heightened.

“That meeting the boys had with the Dean today, it was about a new kid. He started today, and he is HOT.” I rolled my eyes.

“You ran here to tell me we got a hot new student, I could have gotten this information tomorrow and saved you the exercise.” I scoffed still groggy with sleep.

“I don’t think you understand, not only is he insanely hot, he is also apparently this big badass, rumor is he has been kicked out of like 6 schools and Chilton is his last resort…apparently his family is loaded.”

“Gee, an unruly privileged rich kid…how will he ever survive at Chilton,” I said sarcastically. The truth was that seemed to fit at least ¾ of the student body at Chilton Academy. “I’m still not seeing the cause for exercise.” Morgan let out an exasperated sigh.

"When you see him tomorrow, don't say I didn't tell you so," Morgan said in a singsong voice. I rolled my eyes.

"Morgan, I'm with Matt, or did you forget that little piece of information? I’m not really seeing the cause for all the excitement. If he is as bad as his reputation dictates, he'll probably be gone before I even make it back to school."

I barely remember Morgan making her exit before I slipped back into my Nyquil induced coma,sleeping soundly until I was awaken around 6:30 by the smell of garlic bread wafting from the kitchen. My eyes popped open as I found my appetite suddenly rekindled, and I stumbled into the kitchen to find Nick, Joe, and Cat all standing around drinking wine, a pot of spaghetti boiling on the stove.

“She’s alive!” announced Cat with a smirk as I shuffled in.

“How are you feelin’ baby girl?” Nick asked, setting down his glass of wine to bring a wrist to my forehead.

“Better….starving,”  I said, eyeing the pot on the stove, “is dinner ready?” Nick cocked a brow.

“I see your appetite is back. That is a good sign,” He said, placing a kiss to my forehead, “your fever is gone as well.” I nodded.

“So I can go back to school tomorrow?” I said hopefully. Nick smirked.

“We will see. How is your cough?” I let out a sigh.

“Worse…much worse,” I admitted. Joe smiled, turning the burner off on the stove and pouring the pasta into the strainer in the sink.

“That’s good!” he piped in a sing-song voice.

“It is?” I questioned, confused. Joe nodded.

“Mom always said, if you sound worse, you are getting better. Just means all that congestion is finally breaking up.” He said fixing me a plate with plain noodles and setting it on the counter in front of me, I scrunched my nose at him and he chuckled. “I am glad your appetite is coming back, but you were tossing your cookies all weekend, let’s not tempt fate quite yet with sauce.” I sighed hopping up from my stool and grabbing the spray butter and parmesan cheese from the fridge.

“Butter noodles it is then,” I said before doctoring the plate of plain noodles in front of me. “Anything exciting happen without me today?” I questioned remembering my little visit from Morgan earlier in the day, I was anxious to hear the boys’ opinion of this new kid, although I was fairly certain I knew exactly what their opinions would be.

“We have a new student.” Joe said simply not volunteering any other information on the subject, Nick sneered from across the kitchen.

“He is bad news.” He said, serving up a plate of spaghetti to Cat before fixing himself one as well. I furrowed my brows.

“That’s kind of harsh don’t you think? I mean, you just met the kid,” I said, defending this new student that my brother had already deemed a lost cause.

“I was being nice,” Nick said, attempting to justify his harsh judgment.

“What about you? Do you think this boy is bad news as well?” I said cocking a brow at Joe. He shrugged taking a bite of spaghetti.

“He doesn’t have the best reputation.”

 "Don't always believe what you hear." I said slurping my noodles.

"Don't slurp!" Joe and Nick both barked in unison causing Cat and I to jump.

I swallowed and rolled my eyes. "Sorry…but Joe, you said yourself, reputations aren’t always about what really happened, why not give him the benefit of the doubt?"  

Cat smirked, "She's right, you shouldn’t judge this kid based on rumors.” Nick scoffed.

“I’m not judging him based on rumors, I’m judging him based on the six other schools he has been kicked out of. Not to mention the long list of infractions.”

“If he is so bad then why is Chilton letting him in?” I asked challenging Nick’s argument.

“It’s called money…LOTS of money,” He said putting extra emphasis on the word LOTS. It came as no surprise, that pretty much described every student at Chilton…rich and privileged. “The Dean made it clear that his father has a bottomless wallet and that he was at Chilton to graduate.” I rolled my eyes.

“Great, I love how money allows you to get away with murder at Chilton.”

“Oh he won’t be getting away with anything in my class,” Nick added seeming irritated with the topic at hand, “we may be stuck with him until graduation but I will not hesitate to blister his butt if he steps out of line.”  I cocked a brow in Nick’s direction, deciding it was best to drop the subject of this new student as I finished my plate of noodles and hopped up to grab a second helping.

“Don’t overdo it,” Joe warned eyeing me as I helped myself to another plate. “You just got your appetite back, don’t make yourself sick by gorging.” I rolled my eyes and sat down shaking some parmesan onto my noodles, no matter what it seemed I couldn’t make my brothers happy. I don’t eat…they nag. I do eat…they nag…it was enough to make me want to scream.

Chapter End Notes:

Lots coming up in this story....any predictions? PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE AND LEAVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS BELOW!!