Flaws

I bounded down the stairs and into the kitchen grabbing my testing kit and plugging a strip into the meter. Feeding a bead of blood onto the strip I stuck my abused digit into my mouth sucking away the blood as I watched the 5 seconds countdown and my less than desirable number appear, I promptly growled before flipping my meter the bird.

"Where are you at?" Nick questioned cocking a brow at my profane gesture toward the defenseless device as he entered the kitchen. "And I take it Josh isn't coming over?" he added sounding far too pleased.

"How is it even possible that I am at 394, I took my correction ages ago." I whined rubbing my temples in frustration "And yes Josh is coming over, he should be here any minute, why would you assume he wasn't coming?"

Nick's brows furrowed together before grabbing my insulin pen off the counter and inspecting it. "When did you start this pen?"

I shrugged, "I think it was yesterday afternoon and you still didn't answer my question."

"Might be a bad pen," Nick said walking over to the fridge and grabbing a bottle of insulin and a needle, "Go old school for this next correction and see if you continue to hover."

I watched my youngest brother wipe the top of the insulin bottle with an alcohol swab and pull the plunger back on the needle to the units I would need filling it with air before piercing the rubber stopper on the insulin and pushing the air from the needle into the bottle. Tipping the bottle upside down he carefully drew my correction into the well of the needle and made sure to remove any air bubbles before jutting the needle in my direction.

I crinkled my nose. "I hate giving corrections like this" I whined "I always bruise so badly." I said lifting the hem of my shirt and wincing as the needle seemed to brush a nerve when I quickly delivered my units.

"It's probably because the insulin is cold," Nick said placing the insulin back into the fridge before depositing my discarded needle into a sharps container on the counter. "If Josh is coming over then why are you dressed like that?" He said nodding toward my pants of choice.

I looked down at my favorite pajama pants before rolling my eyes at my brother. "They are the most comfortable pants I have," I defended, "everything else was pretty unbearable thanks to you. Besides, I'm studying not going to the prom...and why do you care what I wear to study in anyway or are you just picking on me for fun?"

Nick held his hands up in mock surrender. "Woah there, no need to take your sugar rage out on me, it was just a question."

"Sorry," I said letting out a loaded sigh. "I wasn't ...I mean I didn't ...ugh ...Hulk SMASH."

Nick chuckled before pulling me in for a side hug. "Hopefully that correction will start bringing you down, just make sure you are checking often today, with your numbers being so high and no real decrease from your first bolus you need to keep an eye on it."

I nodded soaking in a hug before breaking ranks with Nick as the doorbell rang. Running to the door I flung it open my face breaking into a big smile at the sight of Josh.

"Are those flamingos?" Josh questioned cocking a brow at the sight of my outfit of choice.

I rolled my eyes holding open the door to usher him in. "Why is everyone so concerned with my pants?"

"It is usually customary for the host of an event to make guests aware of dress code," His tone was snarky as he entered the house and took a look around, "I feel very overdressed, I could have stayed in my Ninja Turtle pants."

"Yes, well, not all of us were raised in high society; I was unaware of the rules." I said closing the door and leading Josh into the living room. "Kinda sad that I missed out on the Turtle pants though..."