Fake Crying and Alpha Dog Lectures

-CeCe's POV-

When Joe stood from the chair and moved to sit on the coffee table in front of me next to Nick my smile faded. He did not look very happy. Nick seemed to take the non-verbal cue and stood.

"I'll let you two talk" he said giving me a kiss on the top of my head before grabbing Cat's hand and leading her out of the living room. I knew exactly why Joe was upset, I sat there silently picking at invisible fuzz on the couch cushion avoiding eye contact; His last words to me before he left for his date echoing in my head.

"I mean it Cecelia, if I get anything other than a glowing report from Cat tomorrow there will be big trouble, understood?"

I had promised to behave and clearly that didn't happen. I was praying that just this once he wouldn't follow through on his threat. My brothers had many a time threatened to 'wear me out' if I didn't start behaving; a punishment I had heard of but yet to be privy to until this morning with Nick and he most definitely thoroughly wore my butt out. I don't think I could survive another punishment.

Just the one pop from Kevin earlier had nearly sent me into an ugly cry.

"You didn't come home last night." I said, my voice small as I finally brought my eyes to Joe's, he cocked his head as if trying to determine if he had heard me correctly.

"And you did," he mirrored my accusation, his tone sharp. I quickly broke eye contact and brought my attention back to the nonexistent couch fuzz.

So much for trying to distract him from the topic at hand...this was not looking good for my butt.

"You promised me you would behave CeCelia," my older brother started lecturing, "and I told you that if I didn't get a good report that there would be big trouble."

"I know, I'm sorry," I said shifting uncomfortably in my seat on the couch. "Nick already punished me before you came home this morning."

"I am well aware" Joe said his tone still sharp, "That doesn't mean that you aren't still in trouble with me."

Crapity crap crap!

Time to bring out the big guns, flaring my nostrils I closed my throat and quickly felt the tears flood my eyes, one slow blink sent the first few drops trailing down my cheeks. Joe sat there unfaltering. "I know I messed up Joey," I said in a small voice. I figured at this point throwing in my cutesy name for him couldn't hurt especially since my tears didn't seem to be having the effect on him that I had hoped for. "Nick wore me out because of it and I totally deserved it." I heard my brother sigh in frustration and I knew my ploy was starting to work. Blinking again I sent a fresh trail of tears down my cheek before mustering up my best puppy dog eyes and bringing them to his. "I'm sorry I've been such a brat lately, I just feel so overwhelmed with everything. My diagnosis, Cat getting pregnant, finals and now you dating I feel so unstable like my world around me is spinning out of control...like 'the way the eye of a tornado must feel, moving dully along in the middle of the surrounding hullabaloo.'" I said skillfully incorporating a Plath quote that was sure to tug at my brothers literary heartstrings. I watched his eyes soften and what was left of his anger dissipate.

Got him. Mental high-five

"I'm sorry you have felt so overwhelmed lately," Joe said bringing his hand up to rub at his neck in frustration, "I'm afraid a lot of that is our fault, God I hate when he is right."

I cocked a brow in confusion. I really had felt very overwhelmed and unstable lately, that much was true but as far as the tears and theatrics go, they were just that...theatrics. I certainly had not anticipated this lovely turn of events in which my brother was taking blame for my recent stint of bad behavior...not that I would argue. "When who is right?" I questioned still confused.