Calling Shots

I let out an exasperated sigh as Kevin pulled into the school parking lot, “Today is going to suck”

 Shooting a parental scowl in my direction he pulled the keys from the ignition, “Nice attitude there Miss Suzy Sunshine”

“I have Nick first block” I said bringing my eyes to his in apology, “it's going to be awkward and what if he is still cranky with me and I say something totally defensive and inappropriate? Plus I have so much make-up work to get done on top of any homework I get today which will probably be a ton...”

“Take a breath” Kevin said placing a hand on each of my shoulders and pulling them square to face him. “Things will be fine with Nick, he has had time to think and cool off but even if he is still out of sorts you have the buffer of being in class so just try to fly below the radar.”

I took a deep breath before flashing Kevin a somewhat believable smile, “I'll try...” unhooking my seatbelt I released the breath in another heavy sigh before opening my door and pulling myself out of the car.

“By the way, you need to walk back to my house today,” Kevin said setting his coffee on the top of the car as he thumbed through some papers in his briefcase, “I have a parent teacher meeting after school…and don’t forget…”

“I know…I know…no fun until all homework is done.” I said cutting him off and trying desperately not to roll my eyes.

Kevin smiled, “See…it is possible for you to be mildly well behaved…you didn’t even roll your eyes.”

My brother’s joke at my expense did not go unappreciated as I cracked a smile and rolled my eyes “Very funny”

“Have a good day baby girl”

"You too Kev!" I called waving my hand over my head as I headed toward the courtyard. I smiled seeing Josh sitting on our bench. "Hey."

"Hey yourself. How's it going?" He asked watching me take a seat.

Fiddling with my backpack strap, I shrugged. "Oh you know . . . youngest brother is pissed at me for calling his baby a bastard, alpha dog and I are going to have a “little discussion”  if I don’t get all my makeup work done TODAY and then there is Joe who is still giving me the silent treatment after handing me my ass yesterday. Just another typical day…how about you?"

"See, that's why I keep you around,” Josh said shooting me a smile, “all your drama makes me feel better about my life."

I pushed his shoulder. "So that's why you keep me around . . . my fuckedupness makes you feel better about your fuckedupness?"

"Fuckedupness?"

“You have a better word for it?” I challenged.

He grinned before shaking his head “Nope…that fits, so what makeup work do you have to get done to avoid the “little discussion” with Kevin, which sounds like code for something not so little or discussion-like.”

“That’s because it is…and that ‘little discussion’ is inevitable cause I have a mountain of work.”

Josh cocked a brow “You seem rather nonchalant about your impending doom.”

I shrugged, “Like I said, just another typical day.”

“Anything I can do to help?”

“Depends,” I said letting out a sigh and rifling through my backpack. “How are you at history?”

Josh chuckled, “Isn’t history your brother’s class?”

“Yes, and my least favorite subject, I completely suck at dates.”