Embracing the Suck

Delilah Davies just might be the sweetest human I have ever met. It's like someone captured a Disney princess character and brought her to life; she is so happy, soft spoken and smiley and she says things like 'Oh my goodness sakes' and 'gosh' and I find it all to be very unnerving. She can throw down some pasta though, I'll give her that much.

"Oh my goodness sakes," Delilah said taking a sip of her wine after finishing off her second plate of pasta, "I am so full, dinner was delicious." I attempt to ignore the intense desire I have to roll my eyes, nope, can't do it. Joe notices and subtly narrows his eyes at me before returning his smile back to Delilah.

I have GOT to work on controlling my face.

"So, Delilah, are you glad to be done with finals week?" Cat questioned noting the moment between Joe and I.

"Honestly, I'm always sort of sad when finals end," Delilah admits taking another sip of her wine, "for an entire week we don't have to follow a lesson plan or teach we just show up and hand out tests and it's a nice little break. We have teacher institute on Monday and with classes resuming on Tuesday I have a very long weekend ahead of me grading exams and preparing for this next semester, it's going to suck."

Both my brothers nodded silently in agreement. "To embracing the suck," Joe said shooting Delilah a smile before raising his glass of wine. All three professors seated at the table clinked their glasses sharing a moment of solidarity before taking a ceremonial sip of wine.

"What about you Cecelia," Delilah said turning the question on me, "are you glad to be done with finals, how do you think you did?"

I shrugged. "I think I did pretty well, except for maybe econ," I confessed causing Delilah's brows to rise in surprise.

"Why do you say that?"

"It's boring," I said honestly earning me a glare from Joe, "no matter how much I study I just can't seem to make it stick."

"CeCelia..." Joe's voice was low and full of warning.

Delilah flashed my brother a sweet smile, "I get it," she said not seeming upset by my comment in the least, "the fundamentals of econ can be pretty boring; this semester should be much more fun, lots of projects and partner work." I mustered a small smile even though the thought of another semester of econ made me want to scream. "I was actually kind of surprised that you were here this evening, aren't most of the kids heading to some big end of finals party tonight?"

I cocked a brow toward Joe, "Yes, they are," I said pointedly, "did you get to go to parties when you were my age?"

"CeCelia," Joe warned again.

"I am just trying to get to know her," I bargained turning my eyes back to Delilah and waiting for her answer.

"I did," Delilah confessed, "but when I was your age I was kind of a nerd, I didn't have very many friends or a social life to speak of and I spent all my free time working ahead on the syllabus and reading." Cat unintentionally snorted nearly choking on her water. "My mom was worried I was going to turn out to be some weirdo with no social skills so she practically shoved me out the door on weekends and told me not to come home 'til curfew."

"May I be excused?" I requested now fully annoyed, apparently I'm a nerd, Josh was right, I do need to get out and do something fun.

***

-8pm-

Josh, Morgan and I all stood in the kitchen listening to my brothers go over the rules for the evening for the third time. "Your curfew is eleven," Joe said his tone firm, "I am not kidding CeCelia, do not test me, this was always one of Dad's biggest rules and we plan to enforce it with you, do not be late."