It's Ok not to be Ok

Wait . . . did he just say baby?

"Baby?” I repeated in shock forgetting that I was there on the sly.

"Cee” Nick’s voice was startled as his head shot around, his eyes meeting mine, “Why aren't you in school?" His hand crept up and scratched the back of his neck, a sure sign he was nervous.

“My last block was cancelled” I said plainly, “You’re pregnant?” I questioned ignoring my brother and turning my attention to Cat who looked back at me her mouth gaping, her lack of words was all the confirmation I needed. Suddenly I found myself flooded with emotion. I felt hurt…tears stung my eyes but never fell, the heat radiating from my body as I felt my anger rise seemed to dry them before they had the chance. “You guys aren’t even married!” I yelled, every word laced with distaste as I dropped my bag to the ground and ran out the door.

How could he be so irresponsible? He couldn’t have a baby! They weren’t even married yet, what if it didn’t work out?  Then what, he raises ANOTHER kid on his own? What the fuck was he thinking? He was supposed to be the responsible one for Christ’s sake!

I got a couple blocks from the house before slowing my pace and letting tears start to fall. Pulling my phone from my pocket I quickly dialed the first person who came to mind. “I need to talk to you, meet me at the tree.” I said weakly before ending the call. Shoving the phone back into my pocket I jogged the rest of the way to the cemetery and plopped down underneath my tree.

“You should know that your son is a whore…” I started my rant as I glared toward my parents. “That whole no sex before marriage ship sailed years ago by the way…when he was in high school…you probably didn’t know that and I was keeping it secret from you cause I’m no narc but since he has gone and knocked up his girlfriend the cat is out of the bag. That’s her name by the way…the baby momma…Cat. I barely see Kevin anymore because he is so busy with Dani and the girls and they have another baby coming too.  With this new bastard child on the way I am sure Nick’s attentions will be on Cat and her needs which leaves me Joe… I worry about him, he is going to end up old and alone. He has been particularly grumpy with me lately…he claims it is because of my bad attitude but it’s probably because he is the only one not getting laid. Why can't the boys just keep it in their pants? I mean the more babies there are around here the less they are focused on raising me and let’s face it, when left unattended I tend to get into trouble. I can only see this ending badly, with no supervision I will start to run wild and inevitably end up following in the boy’s path. I hope you guys are happy…this is all your fault!" I screamed, the sad tears that had filled my eyes when I had sat down were gone and my face flushed with anger over my parent’s careless lack of presence.

“Should I come back later?” the voice penetrated my rant and I turned to see Josh. I found myself wondering how long he had been standing there witnessing me accuse my dead parents for all that was wrong with my life.

“No, sorry, I just….” I paused letting out a sigh, “She is pregnant…Cat is pregnant.” Josh’s brows rose for a moment in shock before he nodded his head and walked over to take a seat next to me under the tree.

“And…this is something you are upset about,” He questioned sounding a bit confused.

“Um, YEA,” I scoffed.

Josh nodded again, remaining composed and calm, “Alright.”

His nonchalant attitude toward the information I had just provided him frustrated me to no end. “NO, it is NOT alright!” I spat. “It is definitely not alright…did you not hear me? She is PREGNANT as in they barely know each other and she is now knocked up with his bastard child NOT ALRIGHT!”