Early Morning

It seemed like only minutes passed before I felt the weight on the mattress shift and a light tug on the sleeve of my shirt bringing my out of my dream. My eyes fluttered open and I came face to face with my bed intruder, little Ellie, her hair was tousled from sleep and she was wearing the biggest grin that I couldn't help but return. I glanced over at the alarm beside the bed before letting out a yawn. "What are you doing awake at 5am?"

"I'm not tired anymore" she said simply "will you make me some breakfast?"

It was in this moment that I came to the realization that I was powerless against the cuteness of my niece, she really did have me wrapped around her little finger; this became clear when I found myself willingly leaving my comfortable pillow topped haven at the un-Godly hour of 5am to make breakfast for my pint sized bed intruder. Grabbing my homework from the desk as I left the room I followed her down the stairs and into the kitchen. "Cocoa puffs or Cinnamon Toast Crunch?" I questioned holding both boxes up for her to choose.

Ellie propped her head on her little palms as she looked back and forth between the boxes. "I want french toast"

Cocking a brow at Ellie I put the cocoa puffs back into the cabinet and grabbed a bowl, "Cinnamon Toast Crunch it is...just pretend its French."

Ellie made no attempt to contest my decision and happily dug her spoon in taking a big bite "Fanks SheShe"

I smiled taking a seat next to her at the counter and opening up my textbook. "You are welcome...Don't talk with your mouth full, it's rude." She nodded before taking another big bite. With Ellie occupied by eating and the rest of the house still deep in slumber I was able to quickly read through the few chapters I had left in U.S. History and start in on the massive fifteen page study guide packet. I was knee deep in the American Revolution when Kevin shuffled into the kitchen. "Morning ladies. What are you doing up so early?"

"Ask the cute little brunette." I grumbled before answering a question about The Boston Tea Party.

Kevin cocked a brow before turning to his daughter. "Ellie did you wake up your auntie Cee?"

"I was hungry." She said sweetly attempting to justify her actions.

Kevin shook his head "Auntie Cee needs her rest, she has school, you should have come and gotten me or mommy." he said lightly scolding.

"It's ok, I didnt mind, besides it gave me a chance to start on the ridiculous amount of homework my brother insists I finish today." I teased before returning my attention to my packet.

"It's not a ridiculous amount," Kevin defended, "it's a few hours and I want it done today so you have plenty of time to study for midterms"

"I know...I know" I growled in frustration.

"Hey, dont get upset with me," Kevin said his scolding tone now directed at me, "You are the one that has been putting off this homework till the last minute not me, what are you working on, maybe I could help."

"Professor Jonas's monster U.S. History packet." Looking up at my older brother I smirked. "You are more than welcome to help."

"The answer to number 17 is the Stamp Act." Kevin smirked before walking over to the coffee pot and starting it.

I glared at his back. "That was the easiest question . . . how about number 15 or 21, or better yet 30."

Kevin chuckled "I cant just give you all those answers, that would be unfair to the rest of the students in the class."

"Oh please," I argued, "you and I both know that these study guides only get graded for completion so everyone besides me will just BS the packet anyway and save any actual studying for this weekend before midterms."

"Well then, perhaps that is why you get better grades than a lot of the students."

I ran my hand through my tangled curls in frustration, "Why do you have to design your packets to be so comprehensive and overwhelming." I whined as Dani came into the kitchen rubbing her eyes.

"Good morning all." she chimed in a singsong voice and rearing up on her toes to give Kevin a kiss. "What is wrong Cee?"

"Your daughter woke Cee up at 5am and now she is whining because her history study guide is too overwhelming and I won't give her any of the answers."

Dani cocked a brow, "Are study guides even graded? I mean, arent they just for the benefit of the student anyway?."

"They are graded for completion only, which wouldnt be that big of deal if my history professor didn't have such interest in my answers but I KNOW if they are wrong I will be made to do them all over again and with the stack of makeup work I already am being required to have done today I cannot afford to do this darn thing twice." I ranted feeling overwhelmed.

"Well then, if her paper is the only one that receives this special attention I see no harm in making sure she has the right answers." Dani said giving a smile to Kevin.

Kevin sighed knowing he was outnumbered and quickly took a look at the packet. "Number 15 is Boston Massacre; 21 is 1776 and 30 is 56 men signed the Declaration between August 2, 1776 and January 22, 1777, including two future presidents, three vice presidents, and ten members of the United States Congress... Don't say I never gave you anything."

I quickly jotted down the answers before shooting a huge smile at Kevin, "Thank you."

Kevin nodded taking a sip of his morning coffee and letting out a sigh, "Mmmmhmmm...now go take a shower."

I crinkled my nose, "I hate taking showers in the mornings, I always take them at night."

"Yes but you didnt take one last night..."

"That is because I was too busy trying to get all my homework done," I argued, "I will take one tonight."

"Gross Cee, dont be the smelly kid in class," Kevin teased, "Go take a shower"

"I dont smell..."

Kevin cocked a brow at me before jutting a finger in the direction of the stairs, "Shower...NOW...not a request."

Rolling my eyes I reluctantly hopped down off the bar stool, "Fine." I conceded before stomping up the stairs. 20 minutes later I reappeared smelling nice and fresh, my mood however had gone fowl.

"See, a shower didn't kill you afterall." Kevin joked as Dani slapped his shoulder playfully signaling him to stop teasing.

"Except now my hair is wet and I don't have time to blowdry and flat iron it so its going to dry all wierd and flippy and I'm going to look ridiculous," I pouted plopping down onto the stool at the counter again.

"But you don't smell," he teased again making light of my tragic hair situation. Dani turned giving him a scowl before turning back to me and smiling sweetly.

"Boys will never understand the lengths we women go to to make ourselves look natural," she sympathized walking around behind me and pulling my damp hair away from my face. "Today just sport a messy bun, it will keep those natural curls from looking unruly...AND its supposed to look disheveled so it totally looks intentional," she said taking a hairband from her wrist and twisting my hair up into a perfect messy bun. "There, crisis adverted."

I smiled, "Thanks."

She wrapped her arm around my shoulder pulling me into a side hug before kissing my forehead. "You're welcome sweetie."

Chapter End Notes:

OHMYGOD she updated again....what is life?

...ok so I may have had this hoarded away as well but this is the last of it. Enjoy and VOTE :)