Putting on a Show

As I wrapped my coat around my body tightly I stepped out into the cold autumn night, “Can we drive please? It’s frickin’ cold outside.” I grumbled through gritted teeth as I willed them not to chatter.

“It’s not cold, it’s brisk…besides it is silly to drive to Kevin’s when he just lives a few houses down, suck it up.” Joe said stepping off the porch behind me.

“CeCelia Marie!” I turned on my heels at the sound of my name to see Nick and Cat standing in the doorway.

“Yes Nicholas Jerry?” I questioned with sass earning a cocked brow from my youngest brother.

“Did you forget something?” he questioned crossing his arms over his chest and glaring me down.

I shook my head, “No…” he let out a sigh of frustration before I suddenly remembered what I had forgotten, running past him and Cat back into the house I retrieved my black ‘betes kit from the kitchen counter and ran back out the door. “GOT IT” I yelled taking off down the street to catch up with Joe and to hopefully escape the cloud of disappointment looming around my youngest brother. Ugh…I swear, I seriously suck at being diabetic. Who forgets a little kit that essentially keeps you alive? I’m such a newb.

My eyes focused on the grass growing in between the sidewalk cracks as we walked. "Don't beat yourself up." Nick said taking place in step next to me

"Huh? What do you mean?" I asked looking over at him.

Pulling me closer to him, he rubbed my arm in encouragement. "Don't beat yourself up, you'll get the hang of this ‘betes thing, it just takes time."

“What moron forgets the kit that essentially keeps them alive at home?" I sighed trying to keep the tears at bay.

Nick smiled slightly before pointing to himself. "I did lots of newbie moves when I was first diagnosed. Half of them, I predict, you'll do just like me. Just like anything that you are learning for the first time, you'll make mistakes, just remember to learn from them and move on. No one is expecting you to be perfect . . . just do the best you can and you'll be just fine."

Walking up to Kevin and Dani's house, I sighed.  Nick gave me a side squeeze before releasing the arm around me to take Cat’s hand and lead her inside. I followed in suit walking through their front door before getting engulfed in a hug. "Oh Cee, how ya feeling sweetie?" Dani gushed.

"I’m good." Pulling back, I gave her smile. "How about you?"

Dani waved her hand with a smile. "Oh I’m fine . . . just pregnant."

"Auntie Cee! Auntie Cee" My two nieces came hurling at me as I dropped to my knees to wrap an arm around them both nearly knocking me over.

"Hi munchkins. How have you been?" I asked before listening to them both chatter about their day. I saw Dani smile and let out a sigh as if she were relieved that they were rambling to someone else for a few moments.

Family dinner went smoothly and blousing was much simpler with Nick by my side to help. Afterward the boys sat around relaxing with a glass of wine and I played Barbies with the girls until it was time for them to get ready for bed. We said our goodbyes before making the short walk home and I smiled as I watched Cat cuddle against Nick attempting to shield herself from the cold night air. As I picked up my pace walking ahead of them Nick wrapped his arm around her and started to whisper sweet nothings in her ear. The more I saw them together the more I became convinced that Cat was perfect for my brother. Entering the house I quickly shed my coat hanging it by the door before turning on my heels and coming face to face with Joe who had arrived at home mere moments before me. Handing me an armful of folded clothes he smiled. “Get your clothes put away and we can do a movie…your choice and I’ll make popcorn.” I nearly squealed in delight as I hurried up the stairs to put away my clothes. With Joe’s Mystery Science Theater style commentary throughout the entire movie and Nick’s inevitable argument on how something in the movie was completely illogical and or unrealistic, movie night with my brothers was always entertaining.