Seeing Jesus and Missing Matt

Sunday Evening

I laid on the couch in the living room staring at the same spot on the ceiling for over thirty minutes my only sign that I was actually alive being the occasional struggled sniffle or bout of coughing. Nick walked in and sat on the edge of the coffee table beside me cocking a brow.

“What exactly are you staring at?” he questioned cocking his head to the side in an attempt to find what it was I found to be so amusing on the ceiling.

“If you stare at it long enough you start to see pictures…” I answered not taking my eyes from the textured ceiling, Nick looked up for a few moments before shaking his head and sticking his wrist to my forehead to check for fever.

“You don’t feel hot” he noted sounding confused. I scoffed.

“I’m not crazy with fever, it’s like the clouds…you stare long enough, you see things like dogs or boats…”

“Or Jesus” Nick added with a smirk. I peeled my eyes from the spot on the ceiling to roll them at Nick.

“Don’t be ridiculous, people don’t see Jesus in the ceiling….a grilled cheese sandwich or a potato chip however…”

Nodding along, Nick gave me a meaningful eye. “How are you feeling?”

“Ugh . . . better I guess,” I said as a coughing fit emitted from my mouth.

Grimacing at my coughing fit, Nick waited until I was done to hand me a tissue. “Cover your mouth. And don’t get your germs all over me. I don’t want to be sick.”

I faked a few coughs his way before he gave me the parental eye. “Joe and I were talking and we want you to stay home tomorrow and rest. We are going to excuse you from your classes. Think of it as your one free pass.”

“A whole day to myself without any of my brothers around? How did I ever get so lucky?” I grinned before celebrating internally.  “Wait . . .Will any of you be coming home for lunch?”

Nick pointed his short stubby finger in my direction. “Don’t push your luck. Cat will be checking on you periodically throughout the day so don’t do anything stupid Cecelia.”

“Aye aye captain.” Saluting him, I continued to look at the ceiling. “OH! Jesus!!”

“You are a very strange child.” Nick said looking at the spot I was currently pointing. “Where did you come from anyway?”

I smirked at the perfect opportunity. “Well Nicholas when a man and a woman love each other VERY much . . . they give each other a ‘special’ hug . . .”

“I see you have been talking with Professor Joe…I can revoke that one day pass if you keep it up . . .” I shook my head before shooting Nick a smirk as I relished in the dark shade of pink of my brothers cheeks. “I’ll leave you alone with Jesus,” he said glancing once more to the ceiling in an attempt to see the image of the all-powerful Alpha and Omega nestled among the stucco texture, unsuccessful he abandoned his search for the Savior and leaned down to kiss my forehead.

                                                                        *****

Monday 12:15

I sat on the couch clutching my phone as I stared at my last text message to Matt. ‘Brothers are detained at school all day, some sort of important meeting with the Dean, you should come see me, make me feel better :)' I anxiously  tapped my foot on the coffee table  waiting for him to text me back when there was a hurried knock at the door, excited, I hopped up from the couch quickly smoothing my hair down as I passed the mirror before throwing open the door, my big smile quickly fading. “Oh, it’s just you…” I said in disappointment as I turned and headed back toward the couch leaving the front door wide open for my unexpected guest.

“Who else would it be?” Cat questioned as she entered the house and shut the front door behind her. “You weren’t expecting a certain gentleman caller were you? Your brothers made it pretty damn clear that you were allowed absolutely no face to face contact with anyone because you were probably highly contagious…then again they told me to keep an eye on you so you see how I rank.”

“I wasn’t sneaking around, but come on, how long are they going to keep Matt away from me?” I know I was whining like a 2 year old, but in this case, I felt it more than justified.

Cat put her hands up. “I know absolutely nothing, I am not here to be their snitch, simply here to make sure you are still breathing and that you havn’t set the place on fire. “

“Thanks Cat.” I grinned as my phone vibrated with a text. ‘I can’t get away. Your brothers are watching me like a hawk .  I have Joe next block. If I leave now, it’ll look suspicious.’  “Dammit He won’t leave school to come see me; he’s too worried about the boys.”

Cat smiled. “Now I know why Nick and Joe can’t stop raving about him. He’s a good guy, and he doesn’t want to see you get into trouble. He must really like you.”

“If he REALLY liked me, he would take advantage of this opportunity. My being home alone isn’t going to come around again anytime soon.”

Sitting down across from me, Cat gave me the adult eye. “Cee, Nick told me you are starting to ask about a driver’s license. Do you think him and Joe are really going to let you get your license if they can’t trust you enough to leave you at home alone during a school day?”

“I hate to break it to you, but I almost never listen to what my brothers say.” I countered, sounding entirely more snotty than I had intended, Cat immediately cocked a brow in my direction, not appreciating my tone.

“A teen girl not listening to her guardians, how original.” Cat shot back, matching my snark. “Have you not seen any of the teen angst movies to come out in the past 16 years…this whole rebelling against the parentals thing almost always ends badly…and to be entirely honest it’s pretty played out.” I rolled my eyes before letting out a frustrated sigh and turned my attentions back to the ceiling that I had spent nearly all of the day before staring at out of boredom. Cat sighed, shaking her head. “Listen, I am not trying to be some overbearing grownup, I am simply trying to give you some advice, you need to start taking into consideration the price you will pay for these little rebellions of yours and decide if it is worth it…” It was good advice, not advice I wanted or asked for so I continued to stare at the ceiling without responding, Cat sighed. “Alright, well, I stopped by, you are alive and there are no fires so I am going to go, did you need anything before I leave?” I shook my head.

“I’m ok, thanks.”

“Alright, I’m going to go. You have my number if you need anything.” Cat said before standing and making her way for the door.

-----

Please click that little star button and leave me your thoughts below!