Penance for Volunteering His Time

I sat at the kitchen counter after finishing all of my homework and bounced my leg nervously. Why had I not considered the possible repercussions stemming from putting my older brother and my boyfriend alone in a room together? Not to mention I sent Nick in there rather heated, poor Matt. Visions of the possible scenarios happening in the music room were now running through my brain. I could not seem to shake the image of Matt walking out with a smashed guitar over his head. When I heard the door to the music room open I quickly jumped off my stool and ran into the hallway coming to an abrupt stop as I almost collided with Nick.

"Can I help you?" Nick said chuckling.

"How did the lesson go?" I questioned starting to wonder where Matt was.

"The lesson was fine," He said opening the hallway closet and grabbing my guitar case "Is your homework finished?"

"What are you doing with my case?" I said ignoring his question and cocking a brow.

"Matt is taking Zelda home with him to practice," he said matter-of-factly.

"What?!" I nearly squealed. I mean, I like Matt and all but that guitar was like my baby, you don't just send your baby to some teen boy's house...I've seen his room...that is no environment fit for a child.

Nick chuckled satisfied fully with my reaction. "Hey, it was your idea that I give him lessons," he said "he needs to practice."

"But..." I whined immediately contesting his decision "Can't he take one of your old acoustics? Those are better for practice anyway."

"Nope," Nick said simply before walking back into the music room and closing the door behind him.

I stomped my foot in a rather toddler like fashion "Jooooooeyyyy," I called out walking back into the kitchen.

Joe chuckled. "What's wrong baby girl?"

"Nick is letting Matt take Zelda home with him just to get back at me!" I whined.

"I am sure Matt will take care of her," he reasoned "besides, I haven't seen you play in weeks."

"He is a boy!" I spat "boys are messy, what if he leaves her on the floor or something!"

Joe smirked. "Well, a good way to judge how a boy will treat a girl is to see how he treats his guitar."

"What? So this is some sort of twisted musician big brother test to see how he will treat me?" I scoffed "Why does Zelda have to be the guinea pig?"

"Well you don't expect him to send Rose do you?" Joe questioned cocking a brow "he is vindictive, not insane."

"Gee Joe, thanks...I feel so much better now," I said mockingly as Nick and Matt walked past the kitchen toward the front door, Matt carrying Zelda's case. "WAIT!" I squealed running to meet them at the door. "PLEASE be careful with Zelda, don't eat while you are playing and don't leave her laying around where you might step on her or throw dirty laundry on her or spill something on her....in fact leave her in the case some place SAFE unless you are practicing...and..."

"I'll take care of her," Matt said cutting me off, "Don't worry."

"I will see you Thursday after school," Nick said patting Matt on the shoulder as he walked out the door. "Two hours of practice a day at least, otherwise don't waste my time."

"Yes Sir," Matt said shooting me a smile. "See you tomorrow CeCe."

I waved goodbye sadly, admittedly more toward my guitar than to Matt, before turning to glare at Nick. "If Zelda comes back with even so much as a scratch on her pickguard or humbucker, you are dead to me."

Nick's lips turned up in a smirk "So willing to offer up my services but not your guitar for practice?" he questioned.

"To use under supervision, yes," I said irritated "Not to take home!"

Nick shrugged ignoring my frustration "He needs to practice a minimum of two hours a day otherwise I am not wasting my time with lessons," he said matter-of-factly "deal with it."

"He is rich!" I spat tired of him dismissing my anger. "He can go buy his own guitar!"

"Yes," Nick said walking into the kitchen and opening the fridge "But then how would I torture you?"

Nick made himself a quick sandwich while I stood there shooting eye daggers in his direction, he seemed completely un-phased. "Scrounge night" he announced grabbing a plate for his sandwich. Awesome, not only did he give my guitar to a boy, but now he isn't making dinner...that has to fall under the category of child abuse and neglect. I should call social services. I opened the silverware drawer and grabbed a spoon before grabbing the jar of peanut butter and heading out of the kitchen.

"Hey," Joe said stopping me as I walked out "Where are you going?"

"To my room," I said spooning a glob of peanut butter into my mouth, "to eat my dinner and pout." Joe shook his head and smiled.

I pretty much pouted for the rest of the night up in my room cursing my decision of having Nick give Matt lessons. Why must he be so vindictive? I was only trying to help get him playing again...a lot of good that did me...no good deed goes unpunished...lesson learned. I rolled out of bed in frustration and looked at the clock, 2:45...awesome. I should be super pleasant tomorrow. I walked downstairs and opened the fridge to grab a bottle of water when I heard it...a guitar. Surely I was hearing things. I followed the sound to Nick's room and sure enough...music. A smile spread across my face. Nicky was playing again. I opened the door and peeked my head in, Nick looked up surprised.

"You are playing," I said with a proud smirk.

"You should be in bed," he said cocking a brow.

"So....do you want to be the pot...or the kettle?" I questioned. Nick chuckled and patted the bed beside him. "Why are you awake?" I questioned taking a seat beside him.

"Sugar is out of whack...what is your excuse?" he said playfully nudging me with his shoulder.

"Actually, I've kinda just been too mad at you to sleep," I confessed.

Nick smirked in satisfaction. "Is that so?"

"Yes, Matt wanted lessons and you never play anymore even though it used to be your favorite thing to do...so I thought why not have you teach him," I explained. "Then you turned all vindictive about it and sent Zelda home with him without even asking me. That is MY guitar, what if he doesn't take good care of her? I grew up with three brothers, I know how teenage boys are, they are gross. What if she ends up on the floor in a heap of dirty laundry and cold pizza?"

I knew that Matt's room had neither heaps of dirty laundry or cold pizza lying around but still...

"If Matt is serious about wanting to take these lessons, and I think he is, then he will take good care of her," He explained.

"And if he isn't serious?" I asked nervously.

"Then you shouldn't have volunteered my time," He said pointedly.

I sighed. "Point taken" I said "I won't volunteer you for things anymore, I'm sorry, I was just trying to help."

Nick wrapped an arm around my shoulder and kissed the top of my head. "I appreciate it," he said. "It was actually pretty nice to sit down and just play again."

I smiled and yawned. "Nice to hear you play again too."

"Go to bed," he said. "You are going to be a bear tomorrow."

"What about you?" I questioned cocking a brow. "You have a hot date with the sugar lady tomorrow night, you plan on introducing her to diabetes before you even make it to dinner? No sleep plus stress...not really a good combination for you."

"Goodnight Cecelia," he said making it clear that he was now pulling rank.

I sighed in defeat. "Night Nicky...love you."

Nick kissed me on the top of the head. "Night baby girl, love you too."

I did as I was told and headed up to bed, not particularly looking forward to tomorrow...Nick was right, with almost exactly three hours before I was to be up for school, I was definitely going to be a bear.