Retrieval

Josh and I sat under my thinking tree for over an hour talking about his life before coming to Chilton, my life since the death of Mom and Dad, poetry, and favorite authors. I was surprised to find that he and I were really very much alike and he was not at all the bad boy his reputation dictated.

“Favorite kind of music?” Josh questioned hopping down from the sprawling branch he had been walking like a tight rope to take a seat beside me again on the grass. I bit my lower lip squinting my eye deep in thought for a moment.

“I don’t know,I like different genres of music it just depends on my mood I guess. I’m not really fond of rap…mostly because I can’t rap and if I can’t sing to it I won’t listen.” Josh’s shoulders bounced as he chuckled.

“Fair enough,” He said simply.

“What about you? What is your favorite type of music?”

He paused for a minute before speaking. “Rock . . . Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Who, Pink Floyd, Queen...the classic old stuff." I smiled and nodded, thank God he had good taste in music.  "Now my turn, do you smoke, drink, have any tattoos?”

I looked at him amazed that he would even pose that question, “No, and if I ever got a tattoo I’m fairly certain I would never see the light of day again. My brothers are pretty strict.”

“What they don’t know won’t kill them,” Josh mused.

I chuckled loudly, “Apparently you have a lot to learn young grasshopper, my brothers know EVERYTHING.”

A comfortable silence fell between us as the autumn breeze blew off the Atlantic Ocean and over the cemetery.  The crunching of leaves caught our attention as my eyes widened with realization of who was interrupting our alone time.

“What do you think you’re doing Cecelia?”  What the hell was he doing here?

Hopping up, I looked at Matt with fiery eyes. “What do you think you’re doing here? You’re supposed to be in school.”

“That’s rich, so are you. Your brothers are beyond pissed, it’s all around school that you’re out skipping with the bad boy.” Matt sneered looking over at Josh.

“What I do doesn’t concern you. In case you forgot, we broke up so I’m not your charge anymore.”

Matt shook his head. “I still have no idea why you broke up with me, you are acting erratic and stupid, skipping school…being with him.”

“What is stupid is that you’re here hoping to get her back after she broke up with you.” Josh threw in his two cents as Matt took a step toward him.

“I wasn’t talking to you,” Matt said before turning his attention back to me, “your brothers are beyond pissed.”

“You said that, twice, and I’ve heard you both times,” I said, “but thanks for the update.”

Matt looked me up and down as if he were meeting me for the first time. “This isn’t like you CeCe, you are acting like a completely different person, one I don’t really care for and it’s because of him, I don’t like you hanging out with him.”

 “Well, I don’t need your approval Matt, we broke up.” I repeated. “Now you can go back to school and tell my brothers what you saw like a good boy.”

“Actually you’re coming back with me,” Matt said with a smirk, “I’ve been sent on retrieval duty.”

“The hell I am!” I crossed my arms over my chest, “for the last time, we broke up and stop bossing me around like a child. Who I see, talk to, or hang out with is none of your business.”