Remind Me

Cat's POV

Time with Nick seems to pass by in a blink of an eye and the more time I spend with him the more I realize I never want it to end.

We walked in to find Joe lounging on the couch looking deep in thought. "How did it go tonight?" Nick asked flicking on a light in the living room as we entered the house. "How was she?"

"She came down and ate some soup while we had a serious conversation. She asked me if I regretted giving up my life and moving back." Joe said as Nick sighed.

Leaving them to discuss the evening I walked upstairs and headed towards Cece's room before pushing open the door. Tiptoeing in I sat on the corner of the bed before running my hand through her hair. My mom would always do this for me when I was sick. Cece stirred causing me to pull back and stop.

"Can you keep doing that?" Cee mumbled keeping her eyes closed but more awake than not. "My mom used to do that for me whenever I was sick."

Smiling, I raked my nails through her hair as she hummed in content. "My mom used to do the same thing...I was just thinking about that before you woke up."

"I miss the little things like that. It always made me feel better." Cee looked so much younger than 16 as she closed her eyes and enjoyed me softly raking my nails through her hair. "Seems like every day something reminds me that she isn't here. It's hard not having her around for the girl stuff."

"I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to ...about the girl stuff. You know where I work and I'll give you my phone number." Sighing, I continued to comb her hair. "I know how you feel, I'm sorry your parents aren't here to see you grow up. They would have been so incredibly proud of you and your brothers." Cee looked up at me with sad eyes. "My parents passed away about ten years ago and still little things constantly remind me of them."

Nodding, Cee locked eyes with me again. "Fresh cookies always remind me of my mom as well as the smell of fresh wisteria. She would always have fresh sweets on the table whenever we would come home from school, and we always had wisteria bushes in the yard, so when the windows were open, the scent would float into the house. "

The opening of the door caught both of our attentions. CeCelia was immediately frustrated by the intrusion, "Can't you knock!?"

"Excuse me?" my head snapped towards the door as Nicholas crossed his arms over his chest, not happy with Cee's tone.

Dropping her eyes back to the comforter, Cee mumbled an apology. "I'm sorry. You caught us by surprise. What's up Nicky?"

"Just got done talking to Joe about his night." Taking a seat on the bed next to me, he smiled. "I heard you're feeling a little better and you actually ate something."

Nodding, she had a half smile on her face. "Yeah, I did. I think my fever is breaking."

"That's good to hear. You should get more rest," Nick said, pulling back the covers of the bed.

Groaning, Cece reluctantly tucked her feet back under the covers. "I just don't see why its so important for me to get all this rest, all I'm doing is laying in a pile of my own germs...if anything I feel more sick laying here the whole time."

"Are you done with your whining and complaining?" Nick asked, unimpressed as I desperately attempted to suppress a giggle.

"Unless sitting here and pouting will make you change your mind about letting me move downstairs into the living room..." Cee countered, giving her brother the patented little sister puppy dog face.

I was impressed that Nicholas was able to resist the pitiful look on her face. "Maybe tomorrow you can move downstairs, but for now, I don't want to risk you infecting the rest of the house."

"Actually, the probability of her infecting the whole house is over 50%. She's been around-" Nick gave me a look that was clearly marked as 'shut up', I took the hint before smirking at Cece.

Crossing her arms over her chest, she clearly had Nick's most popular stance down. "Why did you shoot Cat that look? She was just voicing her opinion."

"You need to pipe down and get some sleep." Nick said, giving her a stern look. Bending down, he pressed his lips to her forehead. "Good night, baby girl. Get some sleep, and we'll see about moving you downstairs into the living room tomorrow morning."

"With visitors allowed over?" Cee grinned hopefully.

Nick smirked. "We'll see."

"I would have preferred a yes rather than a we'll see . . ." Cee mumbled before Nick chuckled.

"Keep it up, and it'll quickly turn into a no."

Cee's eyes went wide before shaking her head, which quickly caused her to grab it. "Dammit, ouch! I'll keep the we'll see . . ."

I giggled hearing her throw down a cuss word before Nick shot us both a look. "Cecelia Marie, language."

"I blame my raging fever, I'm clearly not well." She said as I laughed at her excuse. Nicholas was right about her being on top of her game when it comes to the quick wit.

Nick crossed his arms over his chest. "Your head won't be the only thing hurting if I hear it again. Being sick is no excuse, understood?"

Wow, stern Nicholas is kinda scary...in an incredibly HOT way. I quickly had to suppress the naughty student/teacher fantasy that popped into my head, I made the mental side note to find my old school uniform skirt for a later date.

"Yes, Sir." CeCe quickly answered, dropping her eyes to the bed, slightly embarrassed. Nick gave her a nod and leaned down, giving her another kiss on the forehead.

"I'm glad to see you are starting to feel better." I cocked a brow in confusion at his statement.

"You can tell she's feeling better just by her cussing?"

Nick nodded with a smirk. "This is the first time she has had to be threatened in over 24 hours." I couldn't help but giggle.

"HaHaHa...CeCe is a hellion...laugh it up...outside of my room of course, I clearly need my rest." I smiled, leaning over and placing a kiss to her clammy forehead.

"Come on, let's let the hellion rest." I said, a smirk playing on my lips as I pulled Nick out the door. After shutting her door behind him, he pulled me close, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"You two are going to be the death of me, I can see it already," Nick said, shaking his head with a slight smile. "And she is not to use foul language when I'm not around, either."

"Yes, Sir," I said, mocking his reprimanding tone with me. He cocked a brow.

"I mean it Catherine, I'm not naive enough to think she doesn't throw around language like that every once in a while for emphasis when we aren't around but I don't want it becoming a habit; it will inevitably come spewing out at the wrong time, like at school. If you give her an inch, she will take a mile, make it known it's not ok with you either."

Did he just call me Catherine?

"No need to lecture NICHOLAS, I am well aware of the expected teen boundaries." Pulling me closer Nick chuckled at my irritation before bringing his lips to mine, suddenly any irritation I had felt melted away with his soft kiss that lingered for a few minutes before he pulled away with a smirk.

"You really are just like CeCe. You have a fiery little temper." I cocked a brow and returned the smirk.

"Maybe you should punish me," I said, wiggling my eyebrows at Nick, who rolled his eyes and turned to head for the stairs.

"It's not a punishment if you are enjoying it," Nick said, a smile playing on his lips as he started bounding down the stairs.

"Is that a no?" I questioned, chasing after him. "I'm fairly certain you will like it too." Nick gave no verbal response, simply chuckling loudly as he cleared the stairs.

Chapter End Notes:

Big skittles and crazy twists that could possibly cause whiplash coming soon! get ready.
Please click that little star button and leave me your thoughts below!