The Spanking Debate

I walked into my speech and debate class with Nick to find him standing at his desk leafing through a stack of papers, as I made my entrance he made it a point to glare at me, clearly he was still unhappy.

"Professor," I said, letting him know that his glare had not gone unnoticed.

"Cecelia," he returned, his tone sharp. I took my seat without another word and groaned internally as I noticed two podiums in place at the front of the class. Apparently, today we were having a debate, perfect. This class was by far my least favorite, and not because I didn't enjoy talking and / or arguing,  Lord knows those seemed to be two of my strongest suits, but speaking in front of the class simply made my stomach churn. I was not a fan of public speaking. As the other students started to filter in, I was surprised to see Josh was among them, shooting a smirk in my direction he took the liberty of sitting next to me.

"Well, well, Miss CeCe," he said with a smile.

"Josh," I responded simply.

He leaned over his desk and continued with his smirk. "I was so hoping you and I would have a class together."

"Can't say I echo those sentiments," I replied, uninterested in his bullshit.

"Cecelia, will you join me up in front of class." Nick smirked before turning his attention to the desk beside me. "And Joshua, you can join her up here as well." Josh and I both exchanged glances before reluctantly joining Nick in the front of the class.

Nick turned towards the class and smiled. "I thought we'd participate in a two-sided debate today since we haven't done it in a while. You know how this works; I give a topic, and you have five minutes to come up with your arguments before presenting them to the class."

Nick knows I hate public speaking, I can only assume this was my punishment for my attitude with him this morning.

Vindictive bastard.

"What's the topic?" I asked, giving him the stink eye.

Nick simply smirked. "Corporal Punishment . . . Cecelia, you will be the pro, and Joshua, you'll be the con; your five minutes start now."

Fuck me. At least it was a topic I was familiar with. Thank God for the small miracles in life, I guess.

I groaned shooting Nick pleading eyes that brought a smirk to his lips before he turned his back to the class and lowering his voice to a level only I could hear. "You seemed more than happy to share your opinions this morning, I found it only fitting you should put that skill to good use." He whispered in my ear.

Yup, definitely a vindictive bastard.

I stood there willing my stomach not to churn in preparation for the debate. There was no need to come up with points to touch on or practice my argument. I knew about spanking all too well, I could practically preach about it in my sleep. My only concern was calming my nerves enough not to vomit in front of the entire class.

Clearing his throat, Nick looked at the class before smiling at his two debate victims. "All right, you're five minutes are up. We are going to go about this the old-fashioned way to decide who is going to go first. Call it in the air, Joshua." He took out a nickel before placing it on his finger to flip.

"Tails." Josh called as I groaned and held my breath as the coin flipped through the air.

Unveiling the coin, Nick smirked. "Heads." Damn it all to hell. I let out a ragged breath before stepping up to my podium.

Clearing my throat, I decided to start off the debate with the tried and true argument on the pros of spanking. "Corporal punishment, specifically spanking, can be an effective deterrent for childish misbehavior. If a child does not respond seriously to a verbal warning from a teacher or parent, then a sharp stimulus inflicting pain, but leaving no lasting damage will cause the child to associate his misbehavior with punishment."

"I disagree," Josh argued, "children can learn to abstain from certain unacceptable behaviors so long as the parent is present, in fact children that are spanked might even find themselves more prone to unacceptable behaviors in the absence of the parent. By spanking a child, you are making them dependent on external controls for good behavior rather than forcing them to develop internal controls or self-discipline." Josh smirked in my direction as he started his portion of the debate off with a strong and compelling argument.

"Agreed, self-discipline is important, but it is a result of having a nurturing upbringing and a strong sense of morals; to imply that a spanked child is somehow void of these is certainly hypocritically pious. 'He that spareth the rod, hateth his son,' Proverbs 13:24," I spat irritated by his argument. So long as the parent is present...what the fuck was that? A personal jab at me? Asshole.

"To say that I am being pious it to imply that I am religious, which I am not," Josh retorted, "But since we are quoting, how about, 'The Devil can cite Scripture for his purpose,' Shakespeare. The Bible frequently condones practices that are outrageous in modern times, such as stoning."

"Oh please," I scoffed, "are you likening a spanking to stoning?"

"It is never right to hit a child. Even the power of physical punishment to teach a child the difference between right and wrong is dubious; if anything physical punishment can act to reinforce aggressive behavior and the idea that physical aggression is the way to get what you want."

Good God, check please! Nick just had to pair me with him, someone who not only matched me in wit but in the art of arguing. "There is a difference between administering a spanking and abuse." I defended, "Spanking is a very effective form of discipline when the child understands why they are receiving the reprimand and the person delivering the punishment is doing so for correction of the behavior not out of anger."

"No matter how orderly you make the beating of a child, it is still a physical action that can leave them feeling humiliated and resentful leading to severe misbehavior in the future," Josh argued simply.

"I see," I said, my tone condescending, "tell me Joshua, were you spanked as a child?"

"No, I was not," Josh responded cocking a brow in curiosity as to where I was planning to go with my next statement.

"Seems to me that maybe if your parents had thought to spank rather than simply coddle you when you misbehaved, you wouldn't have been kicked out of so many schools," I said laying my low blow. I saw Nick's shoulders bounce as he attempted to stifle a chuckle. Josh's eyes narrowed and he shook his head, rubbing the back of his neck as he considered his next words.

"Tell me, Cecelia," Josh retorted, "Are you spanked?" I felt my cheeks flush with embarrassment suddenly finding me, and my ass, in the spotlight.

"Yes," I answered hesitantly.

"And do you enjoy it," he questioned with a smirk. What the fuck kind of question was that? Had this discussion just taken a turn for the kink or was he asking me if I were some sort of masochist?

"No, of course not, what kind of question is that?" I said taken aback by the sudden turn in our discussion.

"I was just wondering," Josh said with a smirk, "With the buttocks being a sexual zone, spanking can often send mixed signals, especially when administered to an adult or an adolescent." I nearly died on the spot, this discussion had definitely taken a turn for the kink, and in front of my brother and the entire class no less but I was not about to let him have the last word.

"Oh, see now I'm confused Joshua," I said, my tone thick with fuck you, "sounds to me that you are pro spanking...just as long as sex is involved." The class immediately erupted in laughter and cheering as Nick quickly ended the debate.

"Alright, that is quite enough." Nick said crossing his arms over his chest and sending a glare in the direction of both Josh and I. "You can both take your seats." I took a moment to revel in my last words of the argument and how uncomfortable they seemed to make my brother before turning my eyes to Josh who simply nodded and smiled before leaving his podium to take his seat.

End Chapter Notes:

LOTS of drama to come! Please take the time to vote for this story and drop me a line, I'd love to hear from you guys!