Walking Out

5:45

I dialed Josh’s number listening to it ring and roll over to voicemail before ending the call and tossing my phone onto the bed in frustration. Three calls and two text messages since this morning, all of them unanswered; I was starting to feel like a stalker.

Why wasn’t he answering his phone?

Was he mad?

Why did I care so much?

Seconds later I nearly fell off my bed lunging for the phone as it buzzed to life with a text.

Whatsup

Whatsup? We spend the night together and the last time he saw me I was walking the green mile, I’ve been trying to reach him ALL DAY to no avail and he has the audacity to say Whatsup? I mean…we did just fall asleep studying and he is not bound to me by any sort of commitment in any way but still.

‘WTF, where have you been I have been trying to reach you all day’ I press send and stare at my phone willing it to answer me.

Sorry…phone was dead after last night, I’ve been asleep, just woke up

Must be nice, I would have loved to have slept the day away. Unfortunately I had to study. I seriously despised smart people. Not that I’m not smart, I am…but I have to bust my ass to be that way…naturally smart people like Josh irritated me to no end.

Everthing ok?’

I cocked a brow at my phone shooting it my best ‘are-you-fucking-kidding-me’ face.

‘If you are asking me if I survived this morning’s reunite with my brother then yes, everything is fine.’  I hit the send button a little harder than necessary and my phone seemed to react in pain as it wailed out my ring tone.

“Everything doesn’t seem fine.” Josh’s voice poured through the receiver as I answered the call.

“What makes you say that? You just woke up…you are still in that post sleep bliss, I highly doubt you are even capable of registering whether or not everything is fine. Which it is.”

Clearly lies.

“Alright then…so…your phone privileges still seem to be intact, I take it your brother was understanding about last night?”

“Understanding? Absolutely not”

“Are you sure you are alright? You seem…” Josh paused a moment to choose his words wisely, “irritated.”

Not wisely enough.

“You never asked if I was alright, you asked if everything was ok… oh, and you also said ‘whatsup’…you never asked if I was alright...which I am not.”

Clearly.

“What happened?” Josh questioned sounding genuinely concerned.

“I didn’t get into trouble for staying out all night, do you know why?” I questioned before continuing my rant and giving Josh no time to respond, “because Joe had a date last night with professor Davies…she spent the night and he didn’t even realize that I wasn’t home until the phone woke him up this morning…THAT is how important I am.”

“Wow…”

“Professor Davies! Of all the frickin’ women in this town he has to go and date one of my professors…as if the lines between my Chilton life and my home life weren’t quite blurry enough.”

“In his defense…Professor Davies is hot…” Josh piped in earning himself a nasty look through the receiver.

He didn’t seem to notice.