MY Diabetes

Shedding my jeans I pulled on my 'mingos before walking into my bathroom and pulling my hair back into a ponytail. Unzipping my 'betes kit I plugged a strip into my meter and fed a bead of blood into the tip; nervously I sucked the remaining droplet from my finger as I watched the meter count down before flashing a 145. WIN. Mentally high fiving myself for my nice bedtime number I shuffled to bed and discarded my decoy pillows to the floor before crawling in under the blankets. I grabbed my cell phone and texted Josh 'copacetic' to let him know that I had gotten home alright and that everything was well, moments later I was asleep.

The rest of the weekend seemed to fly by and diabetes spent most of the time kicking my ass. Monday morning came far too quickly and before I knew it someone was shaking me awake, my eyes fluttered open to see Cat sitting on the edge of my bed. "Morning sunshine," she beamed, her chipper demeanor nearly got her kicked.

"Time is it?" I managed to mumble throwing an arm over my eyes to block the light.

"six thirty" she answered still smiling, "Are you feeling ok? You went to bed early last night and you still look exhausted."

I rubbed my eyes and tried to dismiss the fact that Cat just basically, in girl speak told me I looked like shit as she started bouncing around the room, opening shades, and tiding up my mess. I groaned as the sunlight hit me. "It's too early and bright . . ."

"Good morning baby girl." Nick chimed, his demeanor matching Cat's.

"Oh for the love of all that is holy, please shut up and get out of my room! It's far too early for perkiness. I love you both, I do . . . but I am exhausted."

They both exchanged glances before Nick shot me a parental glare. "We leave in 20 minutes."

I let out an exasperated sigh, "Fine." I watched them both exchange a grin before walking out of my room and leaving me to get ready. Rolling out of bed I shuffled to the bathroom before making my way around my room and readying myself as best I could with my eyes still shut. Letting out a groan of discontent everytime I stepped, I made my way down the stairs and plopped onto one of the kitchen stools.

"Morning Monkey." Joe's voice chimed as I laid my head on top of my folded arms.

I let out a loud groan. "Why is everyone so wide awake?"

"You are pleasant, are you feeling alright?" he questioned cocking a brow in my direction as he poured himself a cup of coffee.

"I'm fine, just finding everyone's perkiness highly annoying this morning."

"Excited to get back to school?" Nick questioned walking into the kitchen and filling his travel mug with coffee.

"Ecstatic," I snapped sarcastically.

Nick cocked a brow before tossing me my 'betes case from the opposite counter, "300"

I looked up at him, my brows knit together in confusion, "300 what?"

"You are super pleasant this morning...I'm betting 300." He explained taking a sip of his coffee. I scoffed before plugging a strip into the monitor and feeding a bead of blood into the tip; sucking the remaining blood from my finger I watched as the meter made the slow count down from 5 before greeting me with the out of range tone and a 298. I threw the meter across the counter in frustration and it flew off hitting the ground. I was not in the mood for diabetes this morning. Nick retrieved the meter from the floor and checked the number before letting out a sigh and shooting me sad eyes.

Grabbing an insulin pen from my pouch Nick quickly dialed up the units before jutting it in my direction, I promptly declined. "No."

"CeCelia..." his tone was pleading and I again declined putting my head down on my folded arms. "You just plan to ignore this and hope it goes away on its own, is that it?" he questioned his tone snarky.