What is your Deal?

Josh and I both sat rather uncomfortably in our chairs as the bell rang signaling the start of first block, Nick stood at the front of the room and cleared his throat earning the undivided attention from the class. "I thought instead of doing a debate today, we would have a group discussion on a topic I feel needs to be discussed, bullying and harassment." Nick said, taking a seat on the corner of his desk at the front of the room. "Now, everyone take out those smart phones and go to Google...who can be the first to tell me the definition of bullying?" Half the class took out their phones quickly looking up the definition, a sea of hands shot up almost instantaneously. "Yes, Adam." Nick said, picking out one of the boys that had been teasing me relentlessly since the last debate.

"Bullying is a form of aggressive behavior manifested by the use of force or coercion to affect others, particularly when the behavior is habitual and involves an imbalance of power. It can include verbal harassment, physical assault or coercion and may be directed persistently towards particular victims, perhaps on grounds of race, religion, gender, sexuality, or ability." Adam said, reading the definition from his phone.

Nick nodded, "Alright, and who can tell me the definition of harassment?" he questioned before choosing yet another boy, Sean, that had made my last couple days at Chilton unbearable.

"To annoy persistently or to create an unpleasant and or hostile situation for someone especially by uninvited and unwelcome verbal or physical conduct." Sean read aloud from his phone.

Nick nodded, "Alright, now we all know the definitions...tell me then, would it be considered bullying or harassment to tease someone or ask them inappropriate questions and make them feel uncomfortable...let's say, for example, over something like...spanking." Nick said, turning his gaze back to Adam, who immediately blushed with embarrassment.

"Yes?" he replied sheepishly.

Nick nodded, "And Sean, what do you think? Is it considered bullying?" he said, turning his gaze to Sean, who slumped in his chair.

"I guess so, yes."

"Fascinating," Nick spat in a condescending tone before passing a stack of papers to each row of desks to be passed back. "I took the liberty of making a copy of Chilton's Code of conduct for each of you. This is something all of you and your parents signed upon enrolling at Chilton. Sean, why don't you read the section labeled zero tolerance for me, please?"

Sean shifted uneasily in his seat before picking up the paper in front of him and reading aloud. "Chilton Academy has a zero tolerance policy for behavior that infringes on the safety of any student. A student shall not intimidate or harass another student through words or actions. Such behavior includes: direct physical contact, such as hitting or shoving; verbal assaults, such as teasing or name-calling; and social isolation or manipulation through rumors."

Nick nodded and then turned his attentions back to Adam, "Adam, can you read the section just under that labeled disciplinary action."

"Any student who engages in bullying may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including expulsion." Adam read aloud before letting out an exasperated sigh. It was clear to both boys and everyone else that they were receiving a verbal reprimand and warning in front of the entire class.

"Ok, so, we are all very aware now about what is considered bullying and how it will be dealt with here at Chilton. Are there any questions?" Nick asked his tone remaining calm and condescending. Needless to say, no one raised their hand.

***

The news of Nick's public reprimand spread like wildfire and suddenly it seemed no one had anything to say to me on the subject of spanking, second block math was boring as usual and proved to be even more torturous as I found myself unable to find a comfortable position, I excused myself twice for bathroom breaks just to give myself a reprieve from my hard seat. When the bell ending second block sounded I quickly rushed out of the room and made my way to my locker; I was pleasantly surprised to find Josh waiting for me when I arrived.