If it's Not Broken

I walked in through the back door of Kevin's house and found Dani standing in the kitchen; she greeted me with a smile as I set my backpack down and slumped into a seat at the counter. "Hey sweetie, how was your day?"

"Better than yesterday," I said trying to sound optimistic. "Is Kevvy home yet?"

"No, he should be home any minute, he told me you were coming. I was just getting a snack for the girls would you like something to eat?"

"No thank you, I'm too tired to eat." I said with a yawn.

"Poor thing, you look exhausted," Dani cooed as she called the girls into the kitchen for their snack.

"CECE!!" both Maddie and Ellie cried out when they entered the kitchen, running over and nearly tackling me off of the stool with a hug.

"What are you doing here?" questioned Maddie grabbing the stool next to me and sitting down.

"HEY! I wanted to sit next to CeCe!" shouted Ellie stomping her foot.

"Hey now! No fighting, just sit with me," I said pulling Ellie up into my lap.

"Are you here to play?" she asked, her eyes hopeful.

"I wish! Your daddy is going to help me with my homework."

"Boo! Homework is no fun!" argued Ellie jutting her lip out into a pout.

"Amen to that," I said holding out my hand for a high-five, Ellie quickly paid.

Kevin walked in and was immediately greeted by the girls chiming "DADDY!" He smiled, walking over to them and giving them each a kiss on the top of the head.

"How are my favorite ladies?" he said making his way around the counter to give Dani a kiss.

"Good," replied Maddie. "Is CeCe staying for dinner?"

"I don't know, she can if she wants but first we have some homework to work on, with no interruptions from you two," He instructed. "Go ahead and grab your backpack CeCe, we will work on your paper in my office."

I nodded and hopped down off my stool sitting Ellie in my place before grabbing my backpack and heading into Kevin's office.

"Alright, what is your assignment?" Kevin asked as he entered the office and closed the door.

I grabbed my old paper from my bag and handed it to Kevin. "Current Social Media and its Effects on Student Writing," Kevin read out loud then cocked a brow. "Is this the topic everyone was given to write about?"

"No, we were supposed to choose a type of technology or media popular in today's society and write about its advantages and disadvantages," I said.

Kevin remained quiet as he looked over my paper, gathering his thoughts before speaking. "CeCe, I think this paper is well written, I see some grammatical errors and a few things that I would change but overall definitely not a paper I would give a D."

I smiled. "I told you Joe was being unfair."

"I didn't say that he was being unfair," Kevin argued causing my smile to fall. "I said I wouldn't have given this paper a D, but he is your professor for Language Arts, not me. If Joe says that you need to rewrite the paper then you need to rewrite it without argument."

I lowered my head and nodded in agreement.

"And, if I hear of you talking the way you did to him yesterday again, I will take the belt to you myself, am I understood?"

I winced as the words left his mouth, being verbally reprimanded by Kevin was bad enough but him threatening to take a belt to me nearly brought me to tears. "Yes Sir." I nodded in agreement.