Hanging Up

JOE'S POV

"You don't need to risk getting yourself sick. Cece is fine, She's been sleeping most of the day away so you're not missing much." Nick practically yelled into the phone. It was a wonder Cee managed to sleep through it all. "Catherine, just stay put. You'll see her tonight before our date . . . we'll be alright."

I smirked at my younger brother as he paced back and forth in front of the oven, a hand in his curls while talking on the phone. Cat was just itching to come over and give us a hand with Cee, and Nick was becoming frustrated to no end at her persistence.

"Dammit Cat just stay -" Pulling the phone away from his ear, Nick looked at the phone before looking at me then again at the phone. "She just hung up on me!"

"Trouble in paradise?" I smirked as he let out a frustrated growl under his breath. "Ten bucks says she is already on her way over ."

Throwing the phone on the counter, Nick raised his eyes at me. "She doesn't need to be over here getting sick. We can handle Cecelia . . . speaking of which, any peep from her?"

The doorbell rang before either of us could say a word. Walking from the kitchen into the hallway, I saw a female silhouette through the window and smirked before opening the door for our guest. "Well, well what do we have here?"

"Shut up Joe. Is he pissed?" Cat grinned walking into the house, stopping to give me a light hug, before moving towards the kitchen.

I merely laughed before following her. "He's pissed that you hung up on him."

"Nick will just have to get over it." Setting the pot she was carrying on the stove before flipping the dial to medium warm, Cat looked around the room in curiosity. "So, where is he?"

Shrugging, a smile tugged at my lips. "He must have snuck upstairs to check on Cee. Up the stairs, second door on the right."

Picking up a pen, I watched her run upstairs before sitting down at the table to finish my crossword puzzle. "Sixth U.S. President John _ _ _ _ _ _ Adams . . ."

The phone interrupted my spin through history. "Hello, Roadkill Café, you kill it, we grill it . . . how may I assist you?"

There was a long pause on the line. "I think I called the wrong house . . ." followed by a click. I chuckled before hanging up the phone and going back to my chair. A few minutes later the phone rang again. I smirked before answering it, "Hello, Time Traveling Agency, We do not exist at this time, but call us yesterday and we will contact you before you know it." The caller immediately hung up as I laughed loudly.

"What are you doing? And who keeps calling?" Kevin stood in the doorway of the kitchen with an amused smirk on his face.

Shrugging, I grinned. "Decided to have a little fun. I think its Matt calling again to check up on Cee."

"Quit giving the poor boy a hard time." Kevin brought out the parental voice as I rolled my eyes. "Besides, we don't want to scare him away. All three of us actually like him."

Shaking my head, I picked up my crossword puzzle again. "That is where I disagree, I want him to be scared of us . . . I don't want Matt getting too comfortable."

For the third time, the phone rang I quickly picked it up and answered it before Kevin could. "Good afternoon, Jonas Residence. Joe speaking." I said receiving an approving nod from Kevin.

"Hey Professor, its Matt, is something going on with your phone line? I just tried calling twice and some creepy guy answered the phone; Something about a roadkill café and time traveling agency."

I had to hide my laughter before smirking at Kevin. "Don't know anything about that, Cee is still asleep but I'll let her know you called."

"Thanks Professor." Hanging up the phone, Kevin and I both busted into laughter. "Nice."

"I've learned from the best."

"And when Matt tells Cee what happened, what's your plan then." Kevin asked stealing my crossword and giving it a once over. "Quincy"

Grabbing my crossword back I jotted down the answer "Thank you Mr. History...I don't need your help, and as far as Matt goes...he has no proof, we're in the clear."

Nick's POV

There are times I don't know why I bother with dating. It's easier to just worry about yourself and no one else. But at the same time, I absolutely love being with Cat. There's something so unique about her that no matter what kind of mood I was in she instantly made it better . . . unless she does something like hang up on me. What is it with girls and hanging up the phone?

Pushing open Cece's door, I snuck quietly into the room. Her breath was even letting me know she was sound asleep.

I carefully took a seat on the edge of her bed before running a hand through her sweaty hair. "Cee, promise me you'll never hang up the phone on Matt or any other boy no matter how pissed off he is making you. A little hint for you . . . it makes us angry."

The creaking of the door caught my attention as I looked over my shoulder at the guilty party. "I'm sorry; I shouldn't have hung up on you."

"Then why did you?" I asked as Cat entered the room and leaned against Cecelia's door.

She smirked as I rolled my eyes. "Because you were pissing me off. I don't care if I get sick . . . even though I haven't known her or you long, you're both special to me. I want to be there for her too, even if it's just making her some chicken soup."

Pushing off the bed, I crossed the room before pulling her into my arms. "You're forgiven. I'm sorry I tried to keep you away. I worry about you and don't want you coming down with what she has. It's miserable enough that one of my favorite girls is sick, I don't want or need the other one to have the same thing."

"Favorite girl...I like the sound of that" Cat smiled before bringing her lips to mine.

"Ugh, please, I am nauseas enough." The grumbling came from under the covers as I turned around to saw Cee's eyes wide awake. "Why are you violating your lady friend against my door?"

"How are you feeling?" I questioned ignoring the drama.

"Like crap." Cee grimaced. "Again, why are you and Cat making out against my door? And by the way, you two suck at whispering."