Come Undone

Nick hovered over me for a moment, staring me down, and I began to mentally panic. "Nick...I..."

"Not another word, Cecelia, just shut your mouth." Nick said, standing from his hovering position and jutting a reproving finger in my direction. He walked toward his desk, bringing his hand up to his neck to rub it in frustration before grabbing his phone and sending a text...to Joe or Kevin, no doubt. I shifted my weight on the couch uncomfortably, suddenly aware of the rekindled fire in my backside. The burning seemed to radiate through me, making me feel dizzy as I sat there on the couch, replaying my actions in my head and slowly going insane. Nick's cell phone rang, and he quickly answered it, telling the person on the other end to 'come down here' ...definitely Joe or Kevin. I was praying it wasn't Joe, I couldn't take another belting from him today. The hard pounding of my heart soon seemed to vibrate my entire body and became the only thing I could hear. In that moment my fight or flight instinct kicked in, as Nick's back was turned I hopped up from the couch and darted out the door through his empty classroom and into the hallway running straight into Josh.

"Woooah," Josh said, managing to stand his ground despite my unintentional tackle. "What's wrong?" Josh looked at me, his eyes full of concern as I turned to look over my shoulder, and I saw Nick exit his office. The hard beating of my heart became so loud I had to resist the urge to cover my ears as I turned back to Josh a look of worry etched into his face...that was the last thing I remember before blackness seemed to consume me.

-Josh's POV-

I was making my way into Nick's classroom a few minutes early when I ran into Cee...literally. I put my hands on her shoulders to steady her from our collide, and her eyes met mine. They looked distant, almost drunk, and her body seemed to be shaking."Woooah, what's wrong?" I asked. Cee turned her head, looking behind her before turning back to me, a look of panic on her face, and suddenly, her entire body went lax. I quickly dove forward, catching her mid-fall as her body crumpled to the ground. "HELP!" I screamed out frantically, hoping someone would hear me. "HELP ME!" Almost as soon as I yelled for a second time, Nick exited his classroom and Joe came running down the hall pushing past a sea of students who were all gawking at the scene but making no attempt to assist.

"What happened?" Nick asked, looking just as panicked as I felt.

"She . . .she just collapsed," I stuttered."What's wrong with her? Is she alright?"

Kneeling down beside us, Nick ran a hand over her forehead. "Did she hit her head?" he asked. I shook my head.

"No, she ran out of the class right into me, and she looked...odd...almost drunk and then she just fell, I caught her." I rambled, growing worried as Cee still lay lifeless in my arms. "Is she ok??"

Joe was on his phone with who I assumed were the paramedics, pacing back and forth, his free hand on the top of his head as if trying to catch his breath. Nick checked Cee's pulse and attempted to calm me. "Josh, she's going to be fine, just breathe, I don't need you passing out on us as well."

I nodded, taking a deep breath, attempting to calm myself as I tried to remember the correct way to address God with a prayer... Screw this, God, please let her be ok, I need her in my life. I'm a little out of practice...It was short and perhaps came out sounding a little more selfish than I had hoped, but I was sure God would understand my uncustomary cliff note version of a prayer.

"The paramedics are on their way." Joe said, looking between his brother and me. "Josh, go tell the Dean what's going on. Let him know that Nick, Kevin, and I will be leaving. I'm going to get Kevin from his class."

"I'm coming with you." I said, making no move to get up and go tell the Dean as instructed, Joe turned a glare to me, and I quickly amended my demand to a request. "Please, Sir, with you guys leaving, my next two blocks are canceled anyway."