Episode 10

It was after dinner when Denise decided they would go over to Joe and Dianna's house to give them some company. It was only down the street and Denise didn't know why they didn't know their neighbours already. Demi had the plate of brownies in her hands which were still warm as Denise knocked on the door, it took a couple of moments but the door opened revealing to them a young boy. Demi recognised him from some of her classes.

"You must be Joe, I'm Denise and this is Demi," Denise greeted. "Are you okay?" She questioned this time looking up at him. His eyes and nose were red and he was sweaty even though he only had a tank top and a pair of shorts on, it was nearly November so it wasn't exactly warm outside. Joe took in a deep breath shaking his head gently.

"I think I'm coming down with something, can I help you?" Joe stated.

"Yes get into bed before you make yourself worse, go on," Denise demanded but in a helpful way, Joe sighed nodding his head making his way upstairs after letting the two of them in. He knew he couldn't argue, she seemed like the kind of woman who wouldn't take no for an answer. "Demi follow him and keep him company, be his friend remember."

"What are you going to tell his mom?" Demi inquired handing her the plate of warm brownies the two of them had baked not long ago.

"I'll just explain to her that we're here to help." Denise stated.

Demi knocked on the door she presumed was Joe's after entering the bathroom and another bedroom not seeing him in either. She entered the room once she heard him say come in giving him a warm smile. She wondered whether he recognised her at all, they had never really talked or even got projects to do together.

"I've been ordered to keep you company, sorry if my mom seems a little pushy, she's just trying to help." Demi smiled entering the room a little more. It wasn't big but was still bigger than the other bedroom the house had. The house overall was small and run down, it looked as if it needed a huge make over but Joe and Dianna couldn't afford that.

"It's fine, my mom would have been like that at one point," Joe stated before coughing leaning his head down on the pillow but kept his eyes on Demi the whole time. "Do I know you from somewhere?" A smile came along Demi's lips as she nodded her head.

"We share some classes together, we're at the same school." Demi answered.

"Oh, I don't really talk to anyone at school." Joe revealed coughing again, he knew he was coming down with something. His body was getting tired and he knew it was probably something to do with that rather than him being out in the cold for too long.

"Why not? Don't you get lonely?" Demi inquired.

"Well yeah but I don't have time for a social life, I've had friends before but I never had time to hang out so they abandoned me. I have work at four everyday then I have to cook dinner, do homework then help my mom to bed before I can go to bed myself." Joe explained.

"Don't you have any family that can help out?" Joe shook his head gently.

"My mom was an only child and so am I, my Grandparents are dead and I don't know anything about my dad's side of the family so it's just us and has been since I was two when my father ran out on us." Demi couldn't help but frown, she wished she had talked to him before now. So she could be his friend and help out where she could.

"I'll be your friend, I don't care if you don't have time." Demi insisted Joe cracking a small smile but his body was exhausted to do much more.

"Thanks." He mumbled but he knew Demi being his friend wouldn't stop what has happened to him and his mother.

-----------------------------------------

Comments please!

Don't Forget Where You Belong | JemiOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara