Chapter 256 - Love Shackles [05]

Yan Qing had an extremely long dream. So long that it seemed like he had lived someone else's life.

In the dream, his name was not Yan Qing, but Zhou Meng. He was a boy born in Haicheng. He had a disabled mother and a domestically violent father.

He grew up with his mother's tears and his father's violent temper. At a young age, he didn't learn anything else but to use his fists to grab what he wanted. It seemed to be a gene in his bones. 

Until one time, when he came back from school, he saw his father beating his mute mother to the ground, who was crying hoarsely with an underdeveloped throat and curling up to avoid his father's iron fist.

At that moment, he realized that bullying with fists were so disgusting. He was 7 years old and had just entered the first grade of elementary school. That was the first time he rushed out and stood in front of his mother to protect her. 

Since then, his mother has not been beaten as much as before, but there is no good skin on his body anymore. He is young, and even if he jumps up to resist, he is still no match for the strength of an adult. 

Sometimes he is beaten really hard. If he couldn't bear it, he would drag his mother and run out, but not every time he could run successfully. Sometimes if he failed to escape, he would only be hit with heavier fists.

It's not like he hasn't thought about taking his mother away from here, but his mother just smiled at him and shook her head every time. 

When he was a child, he didn't understand. He didn't understand why she stayed in this house where the devil lived when it was obviously so painful being beaten. She had hands and feet, she could at least support herself by picking up rags and rummaging through trash cans. 

When he grew up, he understood. Unfortunately, when he had the strength to protect his mother, his mother was no longer there.

Alcoholism and domestic violence seem to be the standard features of every similar unfortunate family. Only when his father drinks too much and drinks to the point that he can't get up can the family seem to have a little peace. 

Whenever this happen, he will drag himself to the top floor of their house with an injury, and then a child who lived in the shack on the top floor would come over and give him a candy.

The situation of the child's family is not much better than his, but the only good thing is that his parents still love him no matter how hard their life is. Even if they can't afford to rent a normal house and can only live in a shack on the top floor. At least they were willing to buy candy for their child.

It's not that he has never eaten sweets. When he was in kindergarten, he used his big fists to steal many cookies and candies from other children. Sometimes those children would take the initiative to hand over their own snacks. 

But those foods, the taste was not retained in his memory. Instead, it was the taste of the inferior hard candy, that seemed it could dilute the pain on his body every time, he remembered very vividly.

The days passed day after day in such a muddle. When he was 14 years old, his mother was hit by a truck on her way to do her handiwork. After the hit, the driver ran away, delaying her. There was no time for treatment, and when she was discovered, she was already cold. 

Later, the driver was caught. Although the driver's family was in ordinary condition, he bought car insurance and sold some of his belongings, including the truck. The insurance company paid 420,000 yuan, and from the truck driver himself the compensation was 140,000 yuan, a total of 560,000 yuan. One life was only worth that much.