Year Two: The Chamber of Secrets pt 5

*Later, we had Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall. I sat next to Hermione and our desk was next to Harry and Ron's.*

McGonagall: Could I have your attention, please? Right. Now, today, we will be transforming animals into water goblets. Like so. One, two, three, Vera verto.

*Her raven turned into a silvery water goblet. I was entranced that it took me out of my train of thought with this Weapon X nonsense. Professor McGonagall is awesome!*

McGonagall: Now it's your turn. Well, who would like to go first? Ah! Mr. Weasley. ―One, two, three. Vera verto.

Ron: *Clears Throat.* Vera verto!

*We all watched as Ron's pet Scabbers turned into somewhat of a goblet, but his tail and fur were still there. I couldn't help but snicker at this.*

McGonagall: That wand needs replacing, Mr. Weasley. *Hermione raises her hand.* Yes, Miss Granger?

Hermione: Professor...I was wondering if you could tell us about the Chamber of Secrets.

*Everyone went silent when Hermione asked this. I could see the fear in McGonagall's eyes but gave in.*

McGonagall: Very well. Well, you all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. Now, three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not. 

Ron: Three guesses who. 

McGonagall: Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, pure-bloods. Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Though, shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The heir alone would be able to open the Chamber and unleash the horror within, and by so doing purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic.

Hermione: Muggle-borns.

*McGonagall nodded sympathetically to Hermione. I placed my hand on top of hers in comfort.*

McGonagall: Naturally, the school has been searched many times. No such chamber has been found.

*It was Alexa's turn to ask a question.*

Alexa: Professor? What exactly lies within the Chamber?

McGonagall: Well, the Chamber is said to home to something that only the Heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be the home of a monster. 

*I could almost feel the entire room freeze with terror. After class, the five of us walked together in the hall to talk about what we just heard.* 

Ron: D'you think it's true? 

Jason: What do you mean? 

Ron: D'you think there really is a Chamber of Secrets?

Alexa: Yes! 

Hermione: Couldn't you tell? McGonagall's worried, all the teachers are

Harry: Well, if there really is a Chamber of Secrets. 

Jason: And if it really has been opened, then that means-

Alexa: The heir of Slytherin has returned to Hogwarts. The question is..

Hermione: Who is it?

Ron: Let's think. Who do we know who thinks all Muggle-borns are scum?