Year One: The Sorcerer's Stone pt 10

(Harry POV)

*In the hospital wing the next day, I wake up, put on my glasses, and sit up. There are cards and candy all over. I look over and see Alexa awake and enjoying a licorice wand Oliver got her.*

Alexa: Morning, Harry.

Harry: Morning, Alex. Feeling alright?

Alexa: Better. You?

Harry: A bit sore, but I'm alright.

*Just then, Dumbledore arrived.*

Dumbledore: Good afternoon, Harry. Good afternoon, Alexa. Ah. Tokens from your admirers?

Harry: Admirers?

Dumbledore: What happened down in the dungeons between you two and Professor Quirrell is a complete secret. So, naturally, the whole school knows. Ah, I see your friend Jason has saved you the trouble of opening your Chocolate Frogs.

Harry: Jason was here? Is he all right? What about Ron and Hermione?

Dumbledore: Fine. They're both just fine.

Alexa: But what happened to the Stone?

Dumbledore: Relax, dear children. The Stone has been destroyed. My friend Nicholas and I had a little chat and agreed it was best all around.

Harry: But then, Flamel, he'll die, won't he?

Dumbledore: He has enough Elixir to set his affairs in order. But yes, he will die.

Alexa: How is it Harry got the Stone, sir?

Harry: I wanted to know that as well. One minute I was staring in the mirror, and the next...

Dumbledore: Ah. You see, only a person who wanted to find the Stone, find it, but not use it, would be able to get it. That is one of my more brilliant ideas. And between you and me that is saying something.

Harry: Does that mean, with the Stone gone, that is, that Voldemort can never come back?

Dumbledore: Ah, I'm afraid there are ways in which he can return. Harry, do you know why Professor Quirrell couldn't bear to have you touch him? It was because of your and Alexa's mother. She sacrificed herself for you. And that kind of act leaves a mark.

*I thought he was talking about my scar.*

Dumbledore: No, no, this kind of mark cannot be seen. It lives in your very skin.

Harry: What is it?

Dumbledore: Love, Harry. Love.

*He patted my head gently and stood up. Then walks over and spots the Bertie Botts box.* 

Dumbledore: Ah. Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. I was most unfortunate in my youth to come across a vomit-flavored one. And since then, I'm afraid I've lost my liking for them. But I think I could be safe with a nice toffee. Mm. Alas! Earwax.

*Alexa and I couldn't help but laugh a bit at that. Later, Alexa and I are out of the Hospital Wing and we enter a corridor where up on a stairwell balcony, Hermione, Jason, and Ron are talking. They stop when they see us and lean over the railing.*

(Jason POV)

Jason: Hey, look who are back from the dead.

*Hermione lightly hits my shoulder as she chuckles. As did Ron, Harry, and Alexa.*

Alexa: Thanks, Jason.

Harry: All right there, Ron?

Ron: All right. You two?

Harry: All right. Jason and Hermione?

Jason: I'm good.

Hermione: Never better.

*Later that evening, we're all gathered in the Great Hall, eating and talking with each other. I looked up and noticed that there are green and silver banners with the Slytherin symbol above their heads, already indicating the house with the most points. I looked down ashamed, thinking because of sneaking out, we cost our house the points. Professor McGonagall then clinks her spoon to her glass to ask for attention from us. We all fall silent. Dumbledore stands up and speaks.*

Dumbledore: Another year gone. And now, as I understand it, the house cup needs awarding. And the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor with 312 points.

*There is medium applause from the crowd.* 

Dumbledore: Third place, Hufflepuff with 352 points.

*The applause for Hufflepuff is slightly louder than the clapping for Gryffindor.* 

Dumbledore: In second place, Ravenclaw with 426 points.

*Applause again, this time with a slight cheer from some students.* 

Dumbledore: And in first place, with 472 points, Slytherin House.

*A loud roar rises from the Slytherin table, as students stand up and clap for themselves. Hermione scowls with her hand on her cheek. I gave her a pat on the shoulder.*