Year Two: The Chamber of Secrets pt 3

*The next morning, I woke up groggy as hell. I got my robes on, got my things, and was ready to head for class. Not before walking up to the boys' dorm and waking up Harry and Ron. I slowly and quietly snuck next to Harry's bed, and then....RING RING RING RING RING! I was shaking a cowbell next to his bed, causing him to fall out of his bed. Woke Ron up too. Their faces were priceless.* 

Ron: Bloody hell, Jason. You nearly gave us a heart attack.

Jason: Come on you two, Herbology is our first class.

*I left the dorm and head downstairs to encounter Hermione.*

Jason: Morning, Hermione.

Hermione: Morning, Jason. Ready for class?

Jason: Heck yeah.

*She let out a giggle at my enthusiasm. Hermione and I walked down the hall and caught up with Alexa. She spoke about how she and Oliver went on a Quidditch World Cup trip. She found it really amazing and was really intrigued by how much Oliver loved Quidditch. Couldn't blame him or anyone, Quidditch is the best. Me, Alexa, and Hermione were the first to arrive at the classroom greenhouse. As the minutes go by, Ron, Harry, and along with other students arrived at the classroom. While we waited for the teacher to arrive, I spoke with Hermione about how her summer went. She spent the summer catching up on one of Lockhart's books, "Magical Me." Just the mention of Lockhart's name makes me feel like he couldn't be trusted. Just then, Professor Sprout arrived.*

Sprout: Morning everyone.

*I looked over when she spoke up. However, most of the other students didn't. Professor Sprout tapped on a pot. That got everyone's attention.*

Sprout: Good morning, everyone.

Class: Good morning, Professor Sprout.

Sprout: Welcome to Greenhouse Three, second years. Gather around, everyone. Today we're going to re-pot Mandrakes. Who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake root?

*Hermione and I both raised our hands. She chose Hermione.*

Sprout: Yes, Miss Granger?

*I set my hand down and mouthed "Lucky." to her. She just laughed and rolled her eyes at me. Then faced the Professor to answer the question.*

Hermione: Mandrake, or Mandragora...is used to return those who have been Petrified to their original state. It's also dangerous. The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it.

Sprout: Excellent. Ten points to Gryffindor. As our Mandrakes are still only seedlings...their cries won't kill you yet. But they could knock you out for hours, which is why I have given you earmuffs...for auditory protection. So could you please put them on, right away? Quickly.

*We all put our earmuffs on.*

Sprout: Flaps tight down, and watch me closely. You grasp your Mandrake firmly. You pull it sharply up out of the pot.

*When she lifted up the Mandrake, its screams were so loud that not even the earmuffs did anything for me. I covered my ears and winced in pain. Hermione looked over at me, who was also covering her ears, in concern. Out of everyone, I was the most in pain. Why was it so loud?

Sprout: Got it? And...now you dunk it down into the other pot...and pour a little sprinkling of soil to keep him warm.

*Just when it was almost over, Neville fainted between me and Seamus.*

Sprout: *Sighs.* Longbottom's been neglecting his earmuffs.

Seamus: No, ma'am, he's just fainted.

Sprout: Yes, well, just leave him there. Right, on we go. Plenty of pots to go around. Grasp your Mandrake and pull it up.

*I gripped my Mandrake and pulled it sharply up. The screams were too much for my ears. I couldn't do it. I walked out of the classroom to catch my breath and to get away from the noise. Once outside, I felt so much better. I checked my ears to see if they were bleeding. Thank god they weren't. What the heck was that all about, anyway? Just then, Hermione walked up next to me.*

Hermione: Are you okay, Jason?