23

I shifted a little closer to him, resting my hand on his back, caressing it softly, trying to calm him down.

- I-It's b-been s-seven years b-but it f-feels like y-yesterday. - He kept on letting out choked sobs, tears falling freely. - A-And I couldn't d-do a-anything. -

I couldn't help but let my tears free as well.

- I'm sorry you had to go through this. -

My arm sneaked over his shoulders, bringing him closer to me, hoping I could infuse some warmth in him.

His breaths steadied after a few minutes, tears still trailing down his reddened cheeks.

He still didn't turn to look at me as he kept on telling his story.

- M-My father was a-abusive, he would b-beat us every day. - He wiped away more tears, biting his lip.

It all made sense now.

That was why he was mad when he saw those wounds on my cheek, or when I mentioned my father to stop him from hitting Felix. That's why he didn't back down in front of my dad.

- He b-beat Soojin to d-death. S-She was twelve. -

He broke down again, burying his face in his hands, but this time leaning into me, longing for any type of comfort.

I engulfed him in a tight hug, combing his hair gently and allowing him to let it all out, whispering soothing words.

After a few minutes, he sat back up straight, shoving his hands back into his pockets and going back to look in front of him, his eyes wet and pained.

- That's when I learned that the only way I could defend me and my friends was fighting. - His voice cracked a bit.

We both stayed in silence for a while, our bodies still touching and exchanging warmth as we observed the panorama around us.

A few houses on the other side of the river had their lights on, gifting a calming atmosphere to the place. On the banks of the river, you could hear frogs croak and crickets chirp in the thick air.

- She would have hated you. - He suddenly chuckled, sniffling and wiping away one last tear, a small smile morphing on his face. - You two would have been too similar to like each other. -

I smiled as well, bravely taking my hand out of my pocket to hold onto his, which was resting on his lap.

He turned to look at me, mixed feelings in my eyes.

- Thank you for telling me this, Changbin. - We stared at each other's eyes, both pairs watery. - I'm grateful for having you in my life. -

He scoffed, returning the hold on my hand.

- I mistreated you so much, Jiho. I don't know how you could ever forgive me for that. - Tears threatened of falling down his eyes once again, but I was quick in reassuring him by circling my thumb in his palm.

- You showed me what's behind the curtain and proved you care about me, even if you don't want to admit it. - I turned to look at him, faintly smiling. - That's enough for me. -

He smiled in return, a few last tears trailing down his cheeks.

- Should we go home? - He asked with a chuckle, standing up and offering me his hand to stand.

I nodded, taking it and following him to the car.

- Uhm, Jiho... - Changbin suddenly asked after buckling his seatbelt.

I turned to him, worriedly scanning his figure. He was looking at his hands, which were fidgeting in his lap, his leg bouncing nervously.

- Yes? -

He raised his head to meet my eyes, his expression worried and pained at the same time.

- Please sleep over at my house. - He smiled bitterly.

A thousand thoughts rushed through my mind. What did he want to do? Was he expecting us to fuck? Was this whole ordeal carefully planned to have me pity him and give in to his desires?

Thankfully, my mind was shut off by Changbin speaking again.

- I don't want you to stay there with your dad. I don't want him to hurt you. -

I sighed, slowly shaking my head, staring down.

- You're already doing too much, Changbin. You are driving me everywhere, you are protecting me, you are buying me lunch... - I met his eyes, a hint of disappointment behind his. - I don't want to be a burden for you and for your family. -

- But you are not! I'm sure my mom would love to have you around, she loves having people over! - He frantically explained, gesturing with his hands.

I internally cooed at him, smiling fondly.

- Promise me that your mom won't hate me. -

He nodded vigorously, his bright smile lighting up the whole car.

- My mom won't hate you, and my stepfather earns so much he could afford to have nine kids! - He joked, giggling a little.

His smile made me give in.

- Okay, I accept your offer. Thank you, Changbin. - I smiled, placing my hand on his, which was resting on the shift.

His cheeks slightly tinted pink at the gesture, having me want to coo.

- Alright, let's go. - He started the car, driving to his house, a little happy grin on his face.