55 ; chatting with lupin

✶⊶⊷⊶⊷❍⊶⊷⊶⊷✶

✶⊶⊷⊶⊷❍⊶⊷⊶⊷✶

"NOW REMEMBER, THESE VISITS TO HOGSMEADE VILLAGE ARE A PRIVILEGE"

everyone was standing around now, mcgonagall and filch were standing out the front with filch collecting the permission notes for hogsmeade village..

you were dressed in your now usual outfit, it was cold out and your legs were a bit chilly but you didn't care.

"should your behaviour reflect poorly on the school in any way.. that privilege shall not be extended again"

harry runs up to mcgonagall, she shakes her head, "no permission form signed, no visiting the village. that's the rule, potter"

"all those with permission, follow me. those without, stay put" filch orders, harry walks with mcgonagall, stepping in front of her.

"professor, i thought if you signed it, then i could go.." he says hopefully.

"i can't. only a parent or a guardian can sign. since i am neither, it would be inappropriate"

you step up to harry, "don't worry, harry. i'm staying behind too"

mcgonagall turns around to harry, "i'm sorry, potter. that's my final word" she pats him on the shoulder before walking off with the rest of the students.

harry sighs, "forget about it, guys. see you later" he nods to ron and hermione, you walk off with him, waving to the two as you walk away.

you stand beside harry, " m'sorry you can't go, harry"

he glances at you, "why aren't you going?"

you shrug, "i have nobody to sign my letter, both my parents are dead and i don't have a guardian" you say casually.

he blinks in shock, looking over at you, "oh.. i'm sorry" he says, you look back at him, "don't worry about it, it was ages ago"

but he looks at you in confusion, "but if you don't have a guardian, does that mean you live alone?"

you blink, "well, yeah. i'm usually on the streets, sometimes i stay at hotels" you shrug as if that was a normal thing.

he looks at you in shock, "it's not great either, but i'm sure we can convince the dursleys to let you stay with us" he offers, you look at him in shock, "oh, no... i couldn't do that"

he shakes his head, "rubbish. once the year is over, we can convince them, okay?" he gives you a kind smile, you turn away, your face rising about 100 degrees, "r-right..."

﹝•••﹞

"PROFESSOR, CAN I ASK YOU SOMETHING?"

you were both now accompanied by professor lupin, you were all standing on the large wooden bridge, staring out into the valley.

"you want to know why i stopped you facing that boggart, yes? i would've thought it'd be obvious. i assumed it would take the shape of lord voldemort"

"i did think of voldemort at first.. but then i remembered that night on the train.."

you glance at harry.

".. and the dementor"

"and i'm very impressed. that suggests that what you fear the most is the fear itself. this is very wise"

you both look up at lupin.

"before i fainted.. i heard something. a woman.. screaming"

"well, dementors force us to relive our very worst memories. our pain becomes their power"

you look down the bridge.

"i think it was my mother... the night she was murdered"

lupin looks off the bridge, "you know, the very first time i saw you, harry, i recognized you immediately"

you lean forwards, resting your arms on the bridge, feeling awkward being there when they're having a conversation.

"not by your scar, by your eyes. they're your mother, lily's" lupin nods, smiling bitterly, "yes. oh, yes. i knew her" he walks off, "i knew your parents quite well, too, [name]"

you blink, looking over at him.

"your mother was there for me at a time when no one else was, harry. not only was she a singularly gifted witch.. she was also an uncommonly kind woman. she had a way of seeing beauty in others.. even, and most especially, when that person could not see it in themselves. your mother, on the other hand, [name].." he trails off.

"now, don't take any offense from this.. but, she was a vile and cruel woman" you snort, "oh, i know"

he sighs, "how is she doing?"

you cough awkwardly, "dead"

"ah.. very sorry.." he says awkwardly, you shrug it off, "don't apologise, she was a bitch"

he coughs, "and your father, harry. james, on the other hand.. he, uh.." he chuckles, "he had a certain, shall we say, talent for trouble. dearie me, him and your father, [father's name], they were... certainly something"

he steps back over to you both, "a talent, rumour has it, they passed on to you both"

harry smiles slightly while you purse your lips.

"you're more like them than you know, harry"

✶⊶⊷⊶⊷❍⊶⊷⊶⊷✶

✶⊶⊷⊶⊷❍⊶⊷⊶⊷✶

words ; 776

date posted ; 10/04/22

©_behindyou_