022 ; mandrakes

◈ ━━━━━━ ● ━━━━━━ ◈

◈ ━━━━━━ ● ━━━━━━ ◈

YOU PLOP DOWN ON THE SEAT ACROSS FROM HERMIONE ON THE TRAIN.

she looks up at you with a smile, you grin back.

"have you seen harry or ron?" she asks.

you shake your head, "nope! i just got here"

she checks her watch, "well, they better hurry up. the train leaves in two minutes"

you shrug, "they probably just can't find us or something"

she just nods hopefully.

◇☆★☆★☆★☆◆

"MORNING, EVERYONE"

you look up from your pot and up to your teacher ; professor sprout. you currently have herbology.

you glance at harry and ron from across the table, wondering why they were so late and why they weren't on the train,

i'll ask them later

she hits her wand on the pant plot, "good morning, everyone" she says louder.

everyone turns to her, "good morning, professor sprout".

"welcome to greenhouse three, second years. now, gather round everyone"

you take a spot between hermione and another girl in front of a pot.

"today, we're going to re-pot mandrakes."

she picks up a large pot from the side table, "who here can tell me the properties of a mandrake root?" she places the pot on the table in front of her.

hermione pops her hand up, "yes, miss granger?"

she takes an excited breath, "mandrake, or mandragora.. is used to return those who have been petrified to their original state."

professor sprout nods along, "it's also quite dangerous. the mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it."

you grin,

oo! i wanna see!

"excellent. ten points to gryffindor" professor sprout smiles.

"now, as our mandrakes are still only seedlings, their cries won't kill you yet. but they could knock you out for hours, which is why i have given you each a pair of earmuffs.. for auditory protection."

you grin excitedly,

that sounds super cool!

"so could you please put them on right away?"

you take out your black earmuffs and place them securely over your ears before turning back to the professor.

"you grasp your mandrake firmly" she grabs it by the bottom of the leaves.

"you pull it up sharply out of the pot" she pulls it up and it lets out a loud scream, you grimace and slap your hands over your covered ears.

"got it? and.." she places it in another pot, "now you dunk it down into the other pot" - she starts chucking soil in - "and pour a little sprinkling of soil to keep him warm"

you all turn to neville as he wobbles slightly before passing out and falling to the ground.

professor sprout sighs, "longbottom's been neglecting his earmuffs."

draco and his gang smirk.

"no ma'am, he's just fainted" seamus points out.

"yes, well.. just leave him there" she waves her hand.

"right, on we go. plenty of pots to go around. grasp your mandrake, and pull it up!"

you frown and grasp the top, ripping it upwards. the mandrake's bellow out, you snicker as draco gets his finger stuck in his mandrake's mouth.

you shove the mandrake back into the other pot.

◈ ━━━━━━ ● ━━━━━━ ◈

◈ ━━━━━━ ● ━━━━━━ ◈

words ; 500

date posted ; 13/03/22

©_behindyou_