051 ; divination class

✿❯────「✿」────❮✿

✿❯────「✿」────❮✿

"WELCOME, MY CHILDREN"

you sit idly at a round table with a crimson sheet draped over it along with ron and harry, hermione apparently hadn't arrived yet, making you confused. she was always in class early so to see her not here was shocking.

in the room was many of the same tables, on the tables were your books and a teacup and plate each.

crimson curtains were draped all over the classroom as everyone was sitting on thick cushions.

"in this room, you shall explore the noble art of divination"

the teacher looked like a bit of a loonie, her hair was frizzy and the top was held back by a patterned headband. she had black, big rimmed glasses on, making her eyes look twice the size.

"in this room, you shall discover if you possess the sight" she stands up from her same-coloured crimson arm chair, nearly knocking over the coffee table sat in front of her, causing a few people to snigger around the room.

"hello. i am professor trelawney" she dawdles on, smiling at everyone.

"together we shall cast ourselves into the future" she shakes her hands with a wide grin, probably trying to spread enthusiasm, which was miserably failing.

"this term, which we'll be focusing on tasseomancy, which is the art of reading tea leaves. so please, take the cup of the person sitting opposite to you" she says quickly.

you all glance at each other, you take ron's cup, ron takes harry's and harry takes yours.

you peer inside harry's cup, "what do you see? the truth lies buried like a sentence deep within a book, waiting to be read" she steps up to seamus, touching his shoulder and then his head, "but first, you must broaden your minds" she shakes both of her hands on his head, you look at her weirdly.

"first, you must look beyond" she waves her arm out.

"what a load of rubbish"

you jump, looking to the side where hermione was now seated.

"where did you come from?" ron asks, you nod in confusion.

"me? i've been here all this time"

you squint at her before looking back to the front.

"you, boy.." trelawney brings her hand up to neville, "is your grandmother quite well?"

"i-i think so..."

she shakes her head, "i wouldn't be so sure of that. give me the cup"

dean thomas passes her the cup, she looks down into it, putting it right back down.

she kisses her teeth, "pity"

you furrow your eyebrows.

neville hastily grabs the cup, looking into it nervously.

"broaden your minds" she steps over near your table, stepping near ron and suddenly making a noise of shock.

she looks to him, "your aura is pulsing, dear. are you in the beyond?"

you sit back slightly.

"i think you are.." she says in a shaky voice.

"sure" ron nods fearfully, unsure of what 'the beyond' is.

"look at the cup" she urges, ron tilts the cup towards his face.

"tell me what you see"

he looks down at it, "yeah, uhm.. well.." he flips through the book which contains all the meanings of the different symbols that could pop up.

"harry's got a sort of a.. wonky cross"

trelawney hums impatiently.

"well, that's trials and suffering. and, uh.. that there could be the sun, and that's happiness.. so, uh.. you're gonna suffer, but you're gonna be happy about it" ron concludes awkwardly, you blink.

"give me the cup" she pops the 'p'

as soon as she looks into the cup, she immediately drops it, falling back and shouting slightly.

you scrunch your face up, hermione looks at you the same.

"oh, my dear boy" she holds her hand, "my dear... you have.. the grim" she says fearfully.

you rest your cheek in your hand boredly, unbelieving of what she says,

seems like a load of shit to me

"the grin? what's the grin?" seamus asks dumbly.

"not the grin, you idiot. the grim"

trelawney makes noises of fear as she steps back, you lean back,

oh, come on. she's just milking it now

" 'taking form of a giant spectral dog.. it's among the darkest omens in our world' " someone else from gryffindor reads out.

you perk up slightly, sitting forwards,

big.. black.. dog? no, i'm just overthinking things

you shake your head and sit back again, but you couldn't keep the thought out of your head, but thinking you sounded silly you pushed it as far back as you could.

" 'it's an omen.. of death' "

✿❯────「✿」────❮✿

✿❯────「✿」────❮✿

words ; 630

date posted ; 08/04/22

©_behindyou_