A Day In The Sun

Olga

Papa had an idea for all of us. The family could spend the day at Catherine Park. We could go canoeing around the lake and then play tennis with each other. It was an excellent idea, but I would feel rather lonely. Igor and Nina have been getting along so well and now even have inside jokes. Tatiana and Dmitri would stay close to each other. Maria and Vladimir would do the same for some reason. At least I had Alexei, but he was starting to befriend Xenia so I didn't know about him anymore.

"Come on! Hurry up!" Anastasia laughed and ran down the dirt path to Catherine Palace.
"I'm coming!" Alexei shouted and ran behind her with Nagorny quickly following behind him. Nina and Igor walked with their arms linked, just like Tatiana and Dmitri. Maria and Vladimir were awfully close, not holding hands or anything though. But their arms were brushing against each other's and they often smiled at each other. I truly wished Maria would stop leading Vladimir on to believe they could be in a marriage or something of that sort.
"Children, slow down. Alexei, be careful!" Mama shouted. And with that, Alexei slowed down and started to walk at a regular pace. By the time we finally got to the small creek part at the Catherine Park, some imperial officers had already gotten the boats ready for all of us.

"Your imperial majesties." One of the officers bowed at both Papa and Mama. Papa smiled and started to walk to the canoes.
"Sunny, will you be joining us?" Papa asked Mama.
"You know I cannot, Nicky. I'm afraid my arthritis is rather painful today. I will sit out on the grass over here with my book. I hope you all have fun." Mama nodded. Papa slowly got into one the canoes by himself, Tatiana and Dmitri got in one, Xenia and Anastasia entered one boat together, Alexei got into a boat with Nagorny, and Nina got into one by herself. There were two remaining, one for both Igor and I.
"Well, let's hope I don't fall. This is a new dress." I chuckled with Igor. I stepped down and attempted to step into the canoe. But the canoe started to move away and I felt myself start to fall over. I gasped, shocked at what happened and knowing I was about to go into the creek. I suddenly felt something wrap around my waist and pull me back.
Once I stopped myself from panicking, I looked down and saw it was Igor's arm. My breath was taken as his arm slowly unwrapped around my waist. I turned my head to look at him. Igor opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out.
"You should be more careful, dear Olishka. You could've really hurt yourself." Igor gave a wan smile. We looked into each other's eyes for one moment. Until Nina interrupted us.
"Come on you two! We're going to be left behind!" Nina laughed. We smiled along with her. Igor took my hand and helped me into my canoe this time. I successfully made it in and sat down. I slowly took the ore and slowly paddled. I turned around for just a split second to get a glimpse of Igor and Nina. And I found myself doing that until we paddled all the way to the lake.

We were allowed to take a break and float around for just a little bit once we got to the lake. I set my ore down and settled in the middle of the lake. We all branched out all over. Nina paddled over to Xenia and Anastasia, but Igor actually came over next to me.
"It's a beautiful day outside." He commented and set his ire down.
"It truly is. The sun has been hotter than usual."
"Is that a bad thing?"
"No, not at all. I prefer it this way. The last four summers with the war going on have been rather sad and cold."
"I know, I was fighting in that war." Igor frowned and looked down at his feet. Something told me he thought about Oleg again. But he quickly shook his head and then stood up. "Well, it is a hot day. It's a nice time for a swim." Igor started to unbutton his shirt and let it slip from his shoulders.
"Igoryok, what are you doing?" I laughed. He took off his boots and smiled widely at me. With one more move, Igor jumped into the lake which made a few waves. I laughed at him and tried to look around for him in the water, but he was nowhere in sight.
"Igor? Igor?" I said and started to run my hand around in the water. Suddenly, Igor's head popped up from underwater and grabbed my canoe. He tipped it enough to where I went into the water with him.

I gasped for air once I got my head above the water.
"My dress! It's new! Igor, I'm going to kill you!" I laughed and started to splash him. He laughed harder than I did and started to splash me back.
"Children! Oh dear!" Papa laughed and rowed over to us along with the others.
"What are you two doing?" Maria grinned.
I giggled. "Just having some fun."
"It looks a bit childish to me, don't you think?" Nina snickered. Now I'm sure she was only joking. But Igor was so determined to impress her, that his smile totally faded.
"You are right, Nina. Sometimes I forget that I'm not sixteen anymore." Igor weakly smiled. I exchanged looks with him and Tatiana both. She knew what I was thinking in that moment. They were not good for each other and I wish I could tell them that. But. I couldn't for obvious reasons.
Papa cleared this throat. "Why don't you two go back to the Alexander Palace and change your clothes in time for tennis?"
"We will. But I would like to talk to Nina for a few minutes. Olga, why don't you go ahead without me?"

I rowed back to the creek by myself. Mama was sitting on a blanket and reading a book.
"Mama!" I exclaimed. She looked up at me and a disapproving look appeared on her face.
"What happened?"
"Igor and I got into the water and started to play around. I need to go back to the Alexander Palace and change my outfit." I smiled. A couple imperial officers came to my canoe and assisted me out. I kept a large grin on my face as I approached Mama. She just deeply exhaled and looked me up and down.
"Oh, my dear Olga. You must learn when it's time to give up."
I scoffed. "What are you talking about?"
"You know exactly what I am speaking about. Olga, you must let Igor go."
"I seriously don't know what you are talking about." My smile faded and turned into a frown. In just a matter of seconds, my happy mood faded.
"He wants to be with Nina now. I am sorry, but I don't think he has romantic feelings for you any longer. And I'm saying this because I love you-"
"No, you're saying this because you want me to marry an English prince." I bellowed at her. Mama was taken aback at my mood and tone.
"I'm sorry, Mama."
"It's alright. I understand that you are hurt, no matter how well you are able to hide it."
I didn't want to cry in front of her knowing Igor could be just seconds away from us.
"Please, I'm just going to walk back now." I muttered. I quickly jogged away from her and over the bridge. Oh, I hated this side of me that was so emotional. But I couldn't help it this time. This Olga was hurt, and it was her own fault.