What Next?

Tatiana

"The war is really over? Are you sure?" I asked, feeling my heart race. Papa gave a wan smile and nodded. I couldn't help the smile that stretched my face. I jumped up from the couch with Maria and I embraced her. Olga and Anastasia walked over to us so the four of us could have one large hug.
"Oh, this is so wonderful!" Olga exclaimed.
"We can bring the soldiers home! My goodness, we can bring cousins Dmitri and Igor home!" Anastasia shouted and started jumping. I hadn't even thought about that at first. Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich was my second cousin from my father's side. He was very tall with dark brown-hair and dark-brown eyes. He was so very handsome. Now cousin Igor was handsome too. He had dirty-blond hair and crystal-blue eyes. But he was nothing compared to Dmitri.

"Let's not celebrate too much yet." Mama came over to us and put her hands on my shoulders. "If Germany surrendered, that means something could happen to cousin Wilhelm. It's only been two-days since he abdicated the throne."
"But he betrayed Papa and you. Why should we worry about him?" Olga crossed her arms.
"Even though he betrayed your father, they are still cousins after all."
Papa intervened in the conversation. "I will send a telegram to him and ask what he will do. But that's political things you girls do not need to worry about." Papa formed a larger smile and jogged over to us. He picked up Anastasia swung her around in a circle. She giggled and we all formed smiles. It was probably better that he picked her up rather than any of us. Papa was a shorter man, only 5'7". Nastya was 5'2", the shortest in the family.
He set her down but kept his arm wrapped around her. "The war is over! The war is over!" Papa cheered. We started cheering with him and rushed over to them to give a large group-hug. Papa took turns kissing each one of our cheeks as we laughed together. Mama loudly cleared her throat, making us all turn our attention to her.
"Nicky, I think we should give the girls a little time to do what they'd like today. Perhaps you and I could go speak in your office." Mama raised her eyebrows in a serious manner. Papa's smile faded and he looked at us. I could tell he faked a smile and kissed each one of us on the head one last time. Papa and Mama quickly walked out the door. But I felt a need to know why Mama seemed so stressed out more than usual. So I had followed them out the door.

"Mama, Papa!" I shouted. They turned around and I approached them. "Please, why do you both seem so blue? What may I do to help?"
Mama gave a side smile and put her hand on my face. "Oh, our sweet Tatya. What would we do without you? All I ask is you keep your siblings happy. Baby doesn't know yet about the war so you have our permission to go tell him and Pierre Gilliard."
"Alright Mama. But how are you feeling is the real question?"
Papa sighed. "We simply don't know what to do next. The war is over but what will happen to Germany and Austria-Hungary? And what about the economy worldwide. It's a whole situation that you mustn't need to worry about. Tatiana, my devoted daughter, just be here with us is all we can ask."
I nodded at them. "I can do that for you."
"Good." Papa replied. Mama and him walked off again. That left we alone to my own thoughts, but I couldn't dwell on them now. Remember Tatiana, it's a good day today. It's a good day.

The four of us rushed downstairs as fast as we could. We giggled and danced in the hallways. Anastasia jumped on Maria's back. Maria ran through the halls laughing with Nastya dangling. I laughed as Olga came and kissed my cheek.
"I am so thrilled we may have our soldiers home again. I'd be so happy to see Dmitri and Igor again. But oh, our poor Oleg."
I linked arms with Olga as we continued walking. "Oleg died honorably. He died serving his country."
"Do you remember how upset Igor was at the funeral? Igor grabbed Oleg's casket and sobbed. John had to pull him off the casket."
"Oh yes, I remember that. It was just so terrible, wasn't it? He was so handsome and courageous. All the men in this war were. We must have a memorial for them."
"What a beautiful idea, Tatya. Except for the German men. They deserved everything they had coming to them-"
"Now Olenka, they may have been German but they too died for their country and had families."
"I do not care personally. We have to thing about Russia right now. What can we do for our people is the real question."
I shrugged and looked down at my feet. "That's a question I don't have an answer to right now. But we can figure that out at a later date."

Maria and Anastasia opened the doors the library loudly. Anastasia hopped off her back and ran over to Alexei. He and Monsieur Gilliard seemed to have faces of confusion. Anastasia wrapped her arms around him and started kissing all over his face.
"What in the world is going on? Did someone die again?" Alexei groaned.
"No silly! It's good news, the war is over!" Anastasia exclaimed.
"Yes, and I'm guessing Joy, Ortipo, and Jimmy have all grown wings and have flown away."
"I'm being serious, Alyosha! The war is over! We can go back to living happily with parties and fun!"
Monsieur Gilliard stood up and clasped his hands together. "What amazing news! It's a miracle case!"
Olga laughed and shook her head. "It's not a miracle. All wars come to an end eventually, Monsieur Gilliard. I just wonder what made the Germans surrender so suddenly."
I scoffed. "I wouldn't exactly say it was sudden. The signs of the Germans surrendering have been there for a long time. All I have to say is thank God the Americans joined the war."
Maria nodded. "Agreed. America is very advanced in their military. Hopefully Russia and America can become even greater allies in the future."
"Oh, I must see my wife and celebrate with her! Your imperial highness, your lessons are dismissed for today." Monsieur Gilliard stood up and gave a small bow to each of us. He walked past Olga and I put the doors. Maria suddenly gasped and put her hands over her mouth.
"I wonder if Father Grigori knows the great news! I shall give him a telephone call. Oh, and do you think the press knows about the Great War ending?"
"Please Mashka, I think the press knew about the war ending before the Tsar did." Anastasia snickered.
"Good point." She replied. It was a good day today. But I could only focus on thinking about seeing cousin Dmitri again.