Anastasia's Birthday

Tatiana

A three-tiered chocolate was being made for Anastasia's birthday. Olga, Anna Vyrubova, and I spent much of the evening last night wrapping gifts. Even though she was twenty-nine today, we thought it was important to give her one-last sweet birthday before she was thirty. In the morning, Olga and I put streamers around the mini dining hall toward the back of the castle. But we invited the British and Belgian royal families to celebrate with us quietly. The other families were going to ride in cars around the property, so King George had to go with them.

"A little to the left, Olenka." I said.

"Here?"

"Perfect."

Dmitri groaned as he set the silverware around the table. "Why couldn't we have had the maids do this? They are servants for a reason."

"Because we are not incapable, Dima. This will mean a lot to Nastya, I promise." I smiled and walked over to him. "Please, just behave yourself."

"Always." Dmitri winked at me. I could not help but snicker as I walked away to adjust the presents on the table. The doors to the dining room opened suddenly. Papa, Mama, Vladimir, Dasha, Stephanie, and all of the children walked into the room.

"Good morning, Mama. Good morning, Papa. Take a seat at the table, please." Olga grinned and kissed both of their cheeks. Our parents sat themselves down along with the children. The children were still a bit drowsy as it was early in the morning, so they did not have much energy yet.

Irina plopped her head on the table. "Mama, I am exhausted. Why did we have to wake up so early?"

"Because it is Aunt Stasia's birthday. Do not complain." I scolded her and tapped her head. "Put your head up and straighten your back be a lady."

"But she is not one." Lyokha snickered. Olga lightly hit him on the back of the back of the head.

"Do not be rude to your cousin, Alexei Igorovich. Get up and make yourself useful." Olga pulled out his chair.

"What do you want me to do?" He groaned.

"Go find your father and escort your Aunt Stasia downstairs. Hurry up! Go!" Olga shooed him off. Lyokha threw his head back as he walked out of the room. Olga and I exchanged looks, to which she rolled her eyes in annoyance. The British family and the Belgian family joined us shortly after and took their seats.

A few moments later, Lyokha came into the room to warn us that Anastasia and Igor were coming down the hall. When the doors opened again, we all looked at her and yelled "surprise". Igor laughed hard and tapped his cane on the floor. Anastasia chuckled and hee face turned red out of embarrassment.

"Happy birthday, Nastya!" I exclaimed and came to give her a hug.

"Tatiana, I will murder you in your sleep. Possibly tonight."

"Perhaps, but not before we have breakfast. The chef made your favorite: Waffles with maple syrup, bacon, and a side of fruit. A classic American breakfast." I smiled.

"Ah, you know me so well." She giggled and sat down in a chair. I sat down next to her and the table began to eat the food.

"Anastasia, I see the American influence held on to you, huh?" Leopold laughed.

"Yes, while I was traveling, I fell in love with the United States. It is a beautiful country in many ways. Have you ever been?"

Leopold nodded. "Yes, I have been to California. It was very pretty, but so hot. There is never a day where it is not hot."

"You should go to New York. Or if you need a tropical place to visit, go to Cuba. Cuba is not part of America, but is a hot and bright place."

"Perhaps Astrid and I will go on our next holiday." He smirked at Astrid. She giggled and put her hand on his shoulder. All of us started to finish up breakfast. That meant only one thing: cake. I signaled to the butler in the corner for cake to be brought, and he disappeared. Not long after, the chef along with half of the staff came into the room with the cake. Everyone in the room started singing to Anastasia.