Drinks

Anastasia

Maria had written a letter to just Alexei and I. She said that the Summertime in the countryside of France is much prettier than in the city. Maria hopes Alexei and I will visit her next Spring and spend a few-weeks with her and Vladimir. Alexei got excited at the idea and immediately started thinking of ideas the four of us could do together. So as far as it was looking, we would go visit her.

Makari and I have been seeing more and more of each other. We had gone to get ice cream together one afternoon, then took a walk in the park the next. And now, Makari was going to take me dancing at some club on the poor-side of Petrograd. But according to him, they had enough alcohol and a band that went all night.

Tatiana was becoming a bit more suspicious of why I was always wanting to come spend the night. She said to me, "Nastya, I love you dearly. But I would not be described as the most fun sister." I convinced her that I simply loved spending time with her and that I wanted to spend more time with Baby Irina. Dmitri took my side, of course, and continues to help me sneak out after dinner.

The chauffeur dropped me off on the poor side of town, and I waited back on that street corner for Makari. I grinned to myself at the thought of what kind of night we would have together. And once I saw him approaching me from across the street, I could only smile wider. Makari had a large smile on his face and was obviously holding something behind his back.

"Anastasia Yevgenyevna." Makari softly said once he got in front of me. "Close your eyes and hold our both of your hands."

"Are you going to put a snake or dirt on my hands?" I asked.

"Close your eyes and you'll find out."

I closed my eyes as he said and held out both of my hands. Makari placed it my hands. The items was rather large, but not heavy. They were tied in a small band.

"Open." He whispered. I opened my eyes and saw three-pink roses. I giggled and looked up at him. Makari's cheeks were a bit pink with a small grin on his face.

"Roses...I like roses." I nodded.

"I remembered that you said pink was your favorite color. I saw these on an old-woman's flower cart and I thought of you. They'd look pretty on a window sill or something of that sort. I cannot afford a bouquet of them, so I hope three was alright."

"Oh Makari, three is enough. Thank you." I held the flowers in my right hand, then I linked arms with Makari with my left. Was it wrong to be spending so much time with man without my parents or a chaperone? I mean, I am an adult now. I am twenty-year-old and should not have to live by my parent's rules. But then again, it was immoral and I was lying. However, if my parents knew, they would never allow me to see Makari again.

We walked past all of the busy people until we made it to a brick-building with old-wooden doors. He opened the doors for me allowed me in. Inside, there were tables of men and women playing cards and drinking. There was a band in the corner, which was just a man with a piano and another man with a saxophone. Only one couple was dancing. Makari and I went over to the bar and sat down first.

"Vodka for both me and the lady, please." Makari said and handed the bartender a few coins.

"Do you have ice?" I asked him. The bartender furrowed his eyebrows at me and gave me a looks as if I were insane. "Never mind, I already know the answer to that."

The bartender slid two small glasses of vodka in front of us. Makari and I picked up our glasses and clicked them together before drinking. And when I did take a sip, I didn't know if the room or if the drink was warmer. But I was not going to complain too much now.