Family Line

Vladimir

Paul and I moved into the Alexander Palace for Anastasia's visit. Olga and Igor along with all of their children came along as well. However, Tatiana and her three children came without Dmitri. I supposed she had finally put her foot down.

"Olga." I hugged her. She hugged me back and kissed my cheek.

"Cousin Vladimir. How are you?"

"I am well. Thank you. Hello, Cousin Igor." I smiled and then shook Igor's hand. Tatiana walked up to me and immediately wrapped her arms around me. I could tell she truly needed a hug. I embraced her back.

"Where is Dmitri?" I whispered to her.

"Home. He is not coming here and he does not wish to be with me anymore." Tatiana whispered back into my ear. We pulled away from each other. There were tears in her eyes. I could not imagine how hurt she was. Tatiana deserved much love.

"We can discuss this tonight, alright? Come to my sitting room after dinner."

She nodded at me. "Alright. Thank you, Vladimir."

"Where is Anastasia's fiancé? He was just here and now he is not."

"Oh...I think I saw him go upstairs. Perhaps he needed to use the toilet or something."

"Ah, I see. I met him once at Olga and Igor's home. Handsome and shy man. Maybe he is perfect for Anastasia."

"Maybe." Tatiana reluctantly agreed with me. She did not look me in the eyes when she said it. Tatiana obviously was not fond of Josiah either. For me, I thought he was perfect for Anastasia. Perhaps he could settle her down a bit. I did not mind at all that he was Jewish or American. I think I was the only one who did not mind.

"Oh Tatiana! I have decided to start writing again."

Tatiana gasped. "Really? That is exciting!"

"I decided it was time to get back to poetry. I missed it immensely. Would you like me to go retrieve some of my poems so you can read them?"

"I would like that very much."

"I will be back quickly then." I grinned. I jogged away and up the stairs. My newest poem was about a man and his love for his son. Paul was greatest pride and joy. It was him and I against the world. I believed my newest poem could bring an emotion out in everyone and allow us to think about Lilas again. I often think about how she would have been as a mother. But she would never have that chance, and some part of me would forever be angry at God for that.

I opened the doors to my sitting room. Surprisingly, Josiah was standing in front of my desk, holding something. He looked up at me and jumped. A panic took over his face. Josiah frowned and then loudly gulped.

"I am so sorry, your highness. I wanted to use the toilet and then I was not ready to go back downstairs. Your sitting room was the closest room, sir."

I chuckled. "Do not worry about it. I know a thing or two about avoiding your future in-laws."

Josiah did not reply or even smile. He looked down at the little object in his hand. I realized it was the framed photograph I kept of Maria on my desk.

"Can I assume this was Maria Nikolaevna?"

"Yes, it is." I took a few steps forward. It was a photo of her on our wedding day. She wore her veil and dress. Her portrait was beautiful with her slight smile. I kissed that photo every night before I went to sleep. It was one of my favorite photos of her.

"She was beautiful. Anastasia talks about her all the time." Josiah handed the photograph to me. "What was she like?"

"Maria... my goodness. She was a beauty, wasn't she? But her heart was just as pure and kind. All Maria wanted in life was for there to be peace and kindness in the world, even if it started with her. She was the kindest soul anyone had ever known." I sighed, setting her photograph back on my desk. I looked at Josiah who had a slight smile on his face.

"Anastasia tells me many stories of Maria Nikolaevna and The Tsarevich. She claims they would play hide-and-seek all of the time. But she especially remembers the holidays to Livadia and the Finnish Skerries."

I smirked. "Those were some of Anastasia's favorite times. Maria and Anastasia loved each other so, in spite of how much they bickered."

"Anastasia misses her and The Tsarevich immensely. I am sorry...forgive me for being rude. But how did Maria Nikolaevna pass away?"

I gulped. Of all questions, why did he have to ask that? It was still difficult to think about Maria, let alone the night she died. I did not believe I would ever overcome her death.

"She died of a hemorrhage shortly after she gave birth to our son." I quickly replied.

Josiah shook his head. "I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine how difficult that must have been. It must be very difficult raising a son on your own."

"It is. However, I must stay strong for Paul and Maria. Though my wife may not be here physically, she is here spiritually. So I suppose she is not really gone, is she?" I asked.

Josiah did not reply. He looked down at the photo again, but then his eyes quickly shifted to the papers on my desk. He picked them up and widely grinned.

"I heard you were a poet. I would love to read these, but I am afraid do not know a lick of Russian. Some of these are in French, but I also do not know French."

"I can read them to you, if you would like. I do not mind at all."

Josiah furrowed his eyebrows. He stared at me as if I were a lunatic. I furrowed my eyebrows back at him. We both straightened our postures at the same time. Josiah shook his head again, placing a hand on his hip.

"Why are you being so kind? I feel like everyone else here secretly does not like me one bit."

I cleared my throat. "In a lot of ways, I am like you. The Tsar and Tsarina were very reluctant to let me marry Maria. Maria practically had to beg them to let us become engaged."

"You are not Jew, though. This is playing a large factor."

"No, I am not." I sighed. "But I know what it is like to do anything for a woman, even if it means risking your own reputation. I understand what it is like to feel as if you do not belong. Josiah, you must keep trying. If you love my cousin as much as you say you do, then you will not give up on her. Promise me."

Josiah gave a wan smile at me. "I promise to take care of Anastasia for the rest of my life." I smiled back at him and lightly his arm.

"You must come now. We have to have lunch and talk about politics and what not."

"I hate politics."

"Then you are going to have to learn how to like government and politics then. You must also learn about the royals across the continent. Josiah, you have much work that still needs to be done."

"I have five-days to prove myself to the Tsar and Tsarina. Do you believe I may be able to do it?"

"It is a piece of cake. Now come, before everyone starts getting agitated for being away from the family." I put my arm around Josiah's shoulders and we started walking. Based on the way his shoulders were moving, he was nervous. Having all of his fiancée's family around him must have been terrifying. Josiah truly does want everyone at the palace to like him. And when it comes to me, he absolutely has my support.