The Buddy System. *Complet...

By Caffinated_Mama

Back to Hogwarts, Raelyn felt like she was starting all over again. No family, no friends. She was destined t... More

Cast Ideas
Return to Hogwarts
Conversing with Snakes
The Buddy System
Can't Sleep
Potions Class
Classroom antics
Meeting Her
An Unexpected Meet Up
Painting
The Broom Cupboard
Knowing You Better
WOW
Getting Out
While I was sleeping
The Makeover
Apologies
Opening Up
Kissing
Flashback
Hanging with Snakes
The Battle talk
The Date - prt 1
The Date - prt 2
Meetings & Greetings
Leap of Faith?
The Memory
Dean Thomas
Initiations to the Snake Club
Morning After
Like Old Times
Seeing Stars
Azkaban
Dancing
Dearest Azaleah
Breakfast
Shopping
Lucas
Love and War
Quidditch
Hexing & Humour
The Party
News
Packing
Preparations for Arrival
Reunited
Catch Ups
Letters
Trying to Understand
Healer
New styles and stories
Draco
Our Song
The Tree
The prick arrived
Letters
Vulgar Talk
Three Letters
A Letters Request
Lagos
Wren
Home Truths
The Real Teeny
Prick!
Sorting Out Our Issues
More truths
What Ifs
Supermarket
Spice Men
Good Ole Dad
What Needed To Be Said
Christmas Past
Christmas Presents
Castle Escape
Sunrise
Unexpected Meetings
Gifts
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Getting To Know You
Reunion
New Years Eve
Party Prep
Happy New Year!
Minister Visit
St. Mungo's
Plot Twist
Planning
January Blues
New Term
Hospital Wing
Bleeding
Theory
Burn
The Tower
You Heard Me
Pain!
Read My Mind
Trouble Finding Me
Appeal
Fucking Creep
Imperious Curse
Are They Always Like This?
The Answer?
Lucius Malfoy
A Book
To your health
Getting Organised
Blackmail
Toothache
First Year
Kissing
Theodore
Bed Rest
Bolting
Heart to Heart
Round Two
A Trip Down Memory Lane
A Trip Down Memory Lane - part II
The Tape
Lestrange
Celebrating
Unusual Proposal
Buddy Session
Future Plans
Epilogue 1
Epilogue 2

Dancing in the rain

29 1 0
By Caffinated_Mama

By the time I was setting my quill down I was sobbing

Draco and Theo had abandoned their latest game to console me.

"It's OK doll. At least she now knows that you are supporting her."

"Draco is right. She will be so delighted to hear from you and for her paintings."

"Do you want to read the letter?" I sniffed leaning my head on Draco's shoulder as I held Theo's hand.

"Absolutely not. That is private between you and your best friend. No one else needs to read it."

"Theo how can you be so brave?"

"Oh I am a mess. Bloody cry myself to sleep every night. The only reason I was even able to come back here was you Rae. I knew you were here so I hoped I wouldn't be alone. And I'm so glad I'm not."

He squeezed my hand.

"My heart is broken for her. In that bloody dreadful place."

"I know but we are working on getting her out love which is the most important thing. She will be thrilled with how much you and Theo are doing for her."

"We have a bit of time before curfew. I am going down to the owlery to post these. I won't be long."

"Want me to walk with you?" Draco offered.

"No you finish your game. I am fine. I won't be long I promise."

"You sure? I don't mind."

"Honest," I smiled at him. "I will be back in a few minutes." I kissed him and made my way out of the portrait hole with both paintings and my letter.

The school was awfully quiet for being before curfew. Not that I minded at all. I enjoyed the peace.

I slipped out of the front door of the castle and down the steps. The stones crunched under my feet as I walked towards the viaduct.

It just started to rain as I made my way along the wooden viaduct. I stood at its edge for a few minutes contemplating whether to make a run for it or to wait it out.

In the end though I chose neither. I simply stepped out and let the rain hit my face. It was actually quite refreshing.

The owls were hooting in annoyance at the rain as I entered the owlery. If you could get over the smell, it would be one of the best places at Hogwarts. At least one of the most underrated places anyway.

I set my packages on the work bench that sat in the far corner the the circular tower.

A measuring tape rose off the table and began measuring the package but it floated to the scales to be weighed.

As it did a book opened in front of me. On the page was a list of birds that were up for the delivery based on the package weight and size.

I chose a large grey owl. The package was tied to its leg as I gave it a treat from the jar on the table.

The owl opened it's wings and gave an impatient hoot. Probably annoyed at me for giving it a delivery in that weather.

"I'm sorry. I know you are going to get wet. Maybe you want to wait to its eased off a little?"

The bird looked even more annoyed.

"I think you just insulted it," some said from behind me.

Harry was standing there with an envelope of his own.

"Bit late for mail?" He asked.

"I might say the same to you."

He held up the envelope. "Mail ordering Hermiones Christmas present."

"Well that's nice of you."

"Actually it's from Ron. He tried sneak away to send it and she wanted to come with him. So I offered.'

"Mine is a letter for Azaleah and some paintings I did."

"Azaleah?"

"The friend I told you about that killed my other friend? Turns out that's not exactly what happened."

"Eh...ok?"

"I'm not supposed to talk too much about it but she deflected a killing curse and it hit Teeny instead."

"So it was an accident?"

"Yes it was."

"You're sure?"

"Yip saw it with my own eyes - well a memory I mean."

"Wow. Well then how horrible for your friend. Being locked up for something you didn't even do."

"I know. So I thought I would write and beg for forgiveness."

"Anyone would have done the same in your shoes. Even Azaleah. Even me."

"Doesn't make me feel any less guilty."

"Well at least you are doing something about it now you writing to her to support her."

"I just hope its not too late."

"She needs her friends right now. It won't be too late. I'm sure she will be glad to hear from you."

"Have you always been this wise?'

"Who me? Absolutely not. Hermione will tell you I am what they call a dumbass. I would have been killed long ago if not for her."

I laughed. I had heard the stories.

"So where is Ginny this evening?"

"She has a test in Muggle Studies so she is revising."

"Muggle Studies?"

He posted off his own letter and stuffed his hands into his pocket. "Yeah. I think she thought she would learn enough so that she would know the things Hermione and I talk about."

"And doesn't she?"

"No. Its quite funny. She is learning the strangest material. The function of a bicycle and how to wire a plug. Things she will never need. Although she did learn what a pen was and was quite impressed."

"Haha they are useful."

"How come you know so much about muggles when you are PureBlood?"

"Well Teeny was muggleborn and we lived in a muggle populated area. Plus I went to a muggle primary school for a bit."

"You did?"

"Yip. That's where I learnt to read and write and about television and toys and muggle food and things."

"That's a good thing that your parents sent you and Cedric -"

"Oh not Cedric. He was homeschooled by private tutors. He learnt fascinating things like Latin and Runes and wandwork all before attending Hogwarts."

"So why weren't you homeschooled."

"Waste of money in my dads eyes."

The owl that was huffing with me, flapped its wings, gave a hoot and then flew off, out of the doorway and into the night.

I watched the stunning bird as it soared high into the sky and behind the clouds until it was out of sight.

The rain had not let up. I fact if anything it had gotten worse.

"We may be here for a while," Harry sighed.

"With that smell? Sorry Harry but I couldn't stay here much longer even with The Chosen One."

He rolled his eyes, smiling as he pointed outside. "But look at the rain. We will get soaked."

"Or we could remember the we are wizards and do this," I held up my wand and muffled a spell. As I did an invisible umbrella emerged from the end of my wand.

I stepped out into the night and although you couldn't see my umbrella, the rain was deflecting off it and pouring down the sides. Completey avoiding me.

"Cool!" He smiled.

I explained the spell to him as he repeated my actions and stepped out as well. "I love magic."

And so we set off. Our pace was incredibly slow as we descended the owlery steps both afraid that we would slip at any given moment and fall flat on our faces.

As we headed down the path, I began to sing sort of forgetting Harry was with me.

"Someone told me long ago
There's a calm before the storm
I know
It's been coming for some time
When it's over so they say
It'll rain a sunny day
I know
Shining down like water"

"So you sing?" Harry smirked. "It's good."

"Best singer there is," a voice came from the viaduct.

I knew it instantly. Draco who standing with Ginny Weasley.

"Well come on, keep going." Harry encouraged as he stood on the edge of the viaduct with Draco.

I was mortified but all three looked at me expectantly with the cutest faces on them.

So I sang more.

"I get up in the evenin'
And I ain't got nothin' to say
I come home in the mornin'
I go to bed feelin' the same way
I ain't nothin' but tired
Man, I'm just tired and bored with myself
Hey there, baby, I could use just a little help
You can't start a fire
You can't start a fire without a spark
This gun's for hire
Even if we're just dancin' in the dark"

"You are going to catch your death," Ginny giggled. "Come on."

I smiled at the three of them staring at me, probably thinking I was crazy.

"My mum used to have a saying - Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."

So I pocketed my wand. Instantly the rain began to bounce off my hair and clothing which were already slightly damp.

Now I was soaked. But I didn't care. I began to dance as I hummed.

"Come on...you can't leave me out here alone. Dance with me."

"Absolutely not!" Ginny laughed.

"I usually find it's easier just to go with it when she does this," Theo said walking towards us. He didn't stop as he stepped out into the rain to join me. "It's actually pretty fun."

He began to dance around, singing the next part of the song, tilting his head back to catch rain drops on his skin.

Then it was Harry's turn. He took Ginny by the hand and pulled her out, wrapping his arms around her waist and dancing with her as she giggled and was swung around.

Draco didn't budge but I wasn't going to push him.

Instead I sang again.

"You sit around gettin' older
There's a joke here somewhere and it's on me
I'll shake this world off my shoulders
Come on, baby, the laugh's on me

Stay on the streets of this town
And they'll be carvin' you up alright
They say you gotta stay hungry
Hey baby, I'm just about starvin' tonight
I'm dyin' for some action
I'm sick of sittin' 'round here tryin' to write this book
I need a love reaction
Come on now, baby, gimme just one look.

You can't start a fire
Sittin' 'round cryin' over a broken heart
This gun's for hire
Even if we're just dancin' in the dark
You can't start a fire
Worryin' about your little world fallin' apart
This gun's for hire
Even if we're just dancin' in the dark
Even if we're just dancin' in the dark."

Draco was smiling as he watched Theo tango with me around Harry and Ginny before Theo challenged Harry to a dance off as Ginny and I sang the song again.

By the time we headed back into the castle, there was a puddle following us and our shoes squelched under our feet.

In the entry way, Draco turned to each of us and muttered a spell instantly drying our clothes and hair and warming us up again.

"Learning to dance in the rain was fun. Thanks for teaching us Raelyn. We better head before Ron sends out a search party," Ginny waved as she and Harry headed off to thir dorm.

"That was fun Rae. It's been ages since I did that," Theo smiled as we stepped through the portrait hole and into our own dorm. "Thanks for the dance," he winked as he headed off to his room.

"Maybe next time I can get you to dance with me?" I asked as I threw my arms around Draco.

"It was fun to watch to let your hair down and be carefree for a few minutes."

"Would have been more fun with you."

"Yeah but Theo needed it more than I did. I will have plenty of chances to dance with you," he whispered as he pushed my hair over my shoulder and leaned in. "And kiss you," he kissed my neck moving up to my ear. "And touch you," he kissed me across my cheek and down my nose. "And tease you."

This time he caught my lips as he pulled me closer to him. "And do all the things that I am about to do to you," he growled as he reached behind my knees and scooped me up so I was straddling him and carried me off to my room.

Where we danced between the sheets.

Merlin that was corny Raelyn!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.3K 1.6K 33
Yazmin Nessa works as a full time nanny for Niklaus Mikaelson's daughter Hope Andrea Mikaelson. Yazmin has been helping Klaus as he's struggling with...
Tudor Rose By brynn

Historical Fiction

178K 3.6K 45
King Henry VIII is arguably one of the best known English monarchs, particularly for his six wives and the Reformation. But what if it happened diffe...
5.3K 917 24
{Editing} ~Goktug Love story~ Daughter of Tekfur Thomas was very humble and amiable. She was a youthful, admirable women which many men adore. Elenor...
22.6K 331 14
Your name is Y/N Y/L/N, and you're great with kids, so you babysit for parents who can't be with their kids 24/7. You've been in the babysitting jig...