Future Shock (Initial Project)

By Sp3ctral_52

Noun: Future Shock [Mass Noun] "The State of Distress or Disorientation due to Rapid Social or Technological... More

Vol. 1 Chapter 1 - Ikarashi
Vol. 1 Chapter 2 - Chance
Vol. 1 Chapter 3 - Loyal Squads
Vol. 1 Chapter 4 - Hostile Contact
Vol. 1 Chapter 5 - The Mage
Vol. 1 Chapter 6 - Dispatch
Vol. 1 Chapter 7 - Never Bring a Sword to a Gunfight
Vol. 1 Chapter 8: What... Did I just do?
Vol. 1 Chapter 9 - End of a Guild
Vol. 1 Chapter 10 - Updates
Vol. 1 Chapter 11 - The Medium Tank
Vol. 1 Chapter 12 - New Personnel
Vol. 1 Chapter 13 - The Cavern
Vol. 1 Chapter 14 - The Goddess
Vol. 1 Chapter 15 - Some Minor Advancement
Vol. 2 Chapter 1 - United Kingdom
Vol. 2 Chapter 2 - Albatros
Vol. 2 Chapter 3 - Second Contact
Vol. 2 Chapter 4 - Negotiations
Vol. 2 Chapter 5 - Battle of Albatros (1/2)
Vol. 2 Chapter 6 - Battle of Albatros (2/2)
Vol. 2 Chapter 7 - Aftermath | Encounter
Vol. 2 Chapter 8 - Two Assasins (1/2)
Vol. 2 Chapter 9 - Two Assasins (2/2)
Vol. 2 Chapter 10
Vol. 2 Chapter 11
Vol. 2 Chapter 12 - Hilgus Valley (1/3)
Vol. 2 Chapter 13 - Hilgus Valley (2/3)
Vol. 2 Chapter 14 - Hilgus Valley (3/3)
Vol. 2 Chapter 15 - Aurora Borealis
Vol. 3 Chapter 1 - Accumulation Program
Vol. 3 Chapter 2 - Drone Down
Vol. 3 Chapter 3 - Progression
Vol. 3 Chapter 5 - Visitation
Vol. 3 Chapter 6 - Diplomacy
Vol. 3 Chapter 7 - The First Strike
Vol. 3 Chapter 8 - Confinement
Vol. 3 Chapter 9 - 'Der Wunderschlacht'
Vol. 3 Chapter 10
Vol. 3 Chapter 10.5 - Short Past
Vol. 3 Chapter 11
Vol. 3 Chapter 12 - Demonstrate
Short (and possibly useless) News
Vol. 3 Chapter 13 - Saturation
Vol. 3 Chapter 14 - Prelude to Incursion
Vol. 3 Chapter 15 - Segregation
Vol. 3 Chapter 16 - Anti-Imperialism (1/2)
Vol. 3 Chapter 17 - Anti-Imperialism (2/2)
Vol. 3 Chapter 18 - Besiege
Vol. 3 Chapter 19 - Capitulation
Vol. 3 Chapter 20 - A Rising Nation
Vol. 3 Chapter 20.5 - The Prison
Vol. 4 Chapter 1 - Spies
Vol. 4 Chapter 2 - Foreigners (1/2)
Vol. 4 Chapter 3 - Foriegners (2/2)
Vol. 4 Chapter 4 - The Monument
Vol. 4 Chapter 5 - Another Conflict
Map of Atochia (Repost)
Heheh (Nevermind...)
Vol. 4 Chapter 6 - Afral (1/2)
Vol. 4 Chapter 7 - Afral (2/2)
Vol. 4 Chapter 8 - Calm
Character Sheet 1 (Updated)
Character Sheet 2 (Short)
Vol. 4 Chapter 9 - Entry (1/2)
Vol. 4 Chapter 10 - Undetected
Vol. 4 Chapter 11 - Simultaneous Engagement
Vol. 4 Chapter 12 - A Darkened Mentality
Christmas Special - Christmas Special
Vol. 4 Chapter 13 - Their Fates Pt.I
Vol. 4 Chapter 14 - Their Fates Pt.II

Vol. 3 Chapter 4 - Modernization

1.2K 49 97
By Sp3ctral_52

It has been a few hours since I... 'Incapacitated' (to say the least) the red-haired mage, known as Akane.

I was currently by an open-area of the primary base it is still roofed, I could only describe it as a modern house balcony, The balcony railings consist of Glass, and the windows behind me were made of bulletproof glass, because... I'm more accustomed to the latest architectural designs.

Beside me was Esther, and currently she wasn't carrying her staff as per usual, this was the first time I saw her not wielding her staff, but I never got used to it as has been the basic symbol of her 'occupation'.

She was wearing a variant of her Mage attire, only designed with the colour scheme of the Directorate, Whitish-grey, two armbands on either side; left being red, while the right being blue, in homage to her Water & Fire Magic. So far, she collectively (but actually unofficially) refers to herself as my student, so there are a few times where I decided to teach her about the History of my former-world's country, Canada, and a few other principles & Technology, that originate from my old world, I would have to often Elaborate all details and contrast/compare them with things that were developed in this world.

"Hey, Director Matthew? Are you listening?" She asked me, I realized I dazed off in my own thoughts and recollection, that I wasn't perceiving her explanation.

"Oh... Uh- I'm sorry, My focus deviated there, Umm... May you please, Continue?"

"*sigh* Ironic for a teacher not to be listening at this time."

"*nervous laugh* I'm technically not your teacher, and you unofficially referred to yourself as my student, so-..."

"Please, get used to it, Director, I really wish to learn about your history, and particularly about you, Your character always intrigues me that I often forget that you are a resurrected one."

"Indeed, You should also get used to the fact that I'am not bound by the hypothetical laws of Otherworldly Resurgent-Transmigration, or in the native term of this world; Resurrection Aftereffects."

"Yes... Let me start from the beginning." She agreed, before she continued.

"Akane, is an infamous individual, but before that she was famous, for her service and protection of the Tulirian Kingdom, she earned a Title as 'The Rose Mage, But a supposed attempted assassination on the crown prince changed her image, being the only one who didn't appear before the meeting, in-fact; she was missing. Let people to become suspicious, that suspicion eventually became claims, that she attacked the prince unprovoked, she earned a new title as 'The Crimson Witch'" she told me, to be completely honest she is a living library bearing lots of information on this world despite being formerly a nomad.

I continued listening, a lot of things seem to match or coincide with what Akane herself yelled or spoke of about in her cell.

"Some sources say she reached the nomadic regions by boat, or by traversing the land of the continent in a detour. But it all lead to the same result, She placed herself in isolation inside of a forest which is practically worthless other than the admirable views it has, no ore, no valuables, no monsters, and the water is undrinkable, she only managed to do it by using her capabilities to convert them into consumables. I encountered her once, she was quite aggressive and didn't want anyone near her-".

"-Because she suffered Trust issues." I finished, which made her look at me.

"Im pretty sure heard it a bit of what you said myself, Esther, she told as she screamed due to pressure and that fact she is now aimless and surrounded by people she can't combat. Of course you might've not known this considering the Nobility, and royalty of this world's corruption." I said.

"She was the target of exploitation and deception, and upon figuring it out, she stormed away in a fit of rage, but she never mentioned anything about attacking the prince. My guess was that she didn't want to bring it up, or the attempted-assassination was just a hoax created in-order to put more pressure on her shoulders, but were all for naught as she reached the nomadic regions." I continued

Esther stared at me in silence, before trailing her gaze away from and into the sea.

"Hmm... I'm not completely sure, but considering how she was acting before the assassination attempt, There is a chance that her being deceived and escaping, with the royalty attempting to hunt her down being the truth, but... It's nothing but my theory."

"Mhm."

We fixed our attention towards the sea, as we have our hands empty so far, the campaign progress casually.

"Hey... Remember when you told me about industrialization and Modernization?"

"Yes, What about it?"

"I suggest we do modernization and renew the lands of the region." I stopped as I turned my attention towards her, I was silent before continuing to speak "While I do want to create a more modern and familiar municipality here, There will be a few compromises, such as Concealed Criminal Activity, and the fact that Skyscrapers may serve as a beacon."

"But you don't have to create those types for now, just the less tall ones.

She said, she is referring to the more conservative short height constructions for now, Such as modern houses, Apartment buildings, Business & Corporation Buildings, Suburban Homes, Etc...

She continues.

"Right now I feel like the people here should get a fresh start, it seems quite selfish for e to ask you to upgrade it. But really, these people may be separated from conflicts and internal affairs from countries, but they are more prone to raids and harassment."

"*sigh* You know, we all are lucky that I'm a nice guy... No, self-centred motivation there, first of all. I'll think about it, Does that sound acceptable?"

"Sure, Director."

—~~—~~—~~—3 Days later—~~—~~—~~—

"You never even consulted me about this..." Esther said with shock in her tone.

"I'm pretty sure I have your consultation, Esther. And it confuses why now you are starting to hesitate, after you have been asking me." I replied with a snide remark.

"W-well... No I'm not hesitating, it's just I never expected it to be like this up close, and with such speed."

We are currently wandering within our first Modern city, still under construction, but with such speed, so far It has the basics of a modern city Office buildings, apartments, suburban houses, all of which were built to make it 'not' act as a beacon, and of course Asphalt Roads. I even decided to use an apartment design from China, specifically the same type of building that is assembled (not constructed) in more than a day.

The one thing quite eerie but understandable aspect was that there are no civilians whatsoever and the vicinity was empty, excluding the personnel tending to the finishing touches of the buildings. However One building stood out that Esther notices.

"Everything is so different and 'Jeeyo-Metrick' was it? The only thing that looks familiar is that large structure , but it just looks so unfamiliar and foreign but Interesting."

That One building that stood out, has a connection to me, 'Centre Block' a large parliamentary building That is located within the city of Ottawa, the capital of Canada.

As a result I chose to name this city as simply; Ottawa. Of course it lacks other buildings from that city, but they will be coming soon. As for the building there is currently no major purpose, it serves as a landmark, a nostalgic reminder, as the Directorate is still in its early stages, there is no parliament.
Yet.

"Mhm, I tried to keep it as low as possible but, I wanted something that has a special place in my heart and memory."
"I see, So basically everything here was based on your city?"

"Oh no, actually so far Centre block has been the only artificial construction here that originates from my city, the other buildings here were mostly designed after artistic concepts, Foreign architecturally pleasing Cities, and Suburban areas. I have even included a nice large park somewhere."

"*laugh*" Esther laughs faintly, which made me look at her with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm sorry, What's so funny?" I asked kindly, with a lighthearted tone.

"You by far interest me the most, Matthew." She said with a grin.

"Umm... Sorry, I'm not interested in anyone below the age of 18." I replied with sincerity.

"W-what? N-No, thats not-! *ahem* That's not what I meant. I mean you act, See, and value differently than most Documented Male Resurrected ones, Unlike them who desire glory, popularity, and power, you chose to be secluded, Humble, and aim for Creation rather than destruction."

"Well, Yes... Creation was essentially what I'm obsessed about, this mostly derives from my father being an architect himself, and my uncle being a Construction manager."

"So it's a lineage Attribute?"

"Well... Something like that, It's more like a cerebral genetic trait, most of us have an interest in technology, be it domestically, scientifically, or militarily, I For one is a combination of all three, but I spent most of my time focusing on science, and related or derivative fields."

"With all this knowledge it is almost unbelievable... You are practically a one-and-only type of prodigy."

"Not really, in-fact I could only say that I pale I'm comparison to the greatest minds in my world's history. I'am really just one of many intellectuals... In my world our brain's had to adapt to the new influx of information. The complexity, and sociality, the mental capacity of the people in my world, can be compared and contrasted with your people, such as; the knowledge the people of this world that can be learnt in Forty years, can be learned in just approximately Five in my world."

"F-Five...?!" She responded.

"Yes... In this world, everything socially, technologically, and economically would be equivalent to past centuries."

"It's why it's very compelling for me to remain as your student, Director."

"*faint laugh* Well... That is still unofficial, but I guess I do teach at random intervals."

Just then my radio became ecstatic.

["Director!"] It was Kara.

"Kara, What is the situation?"

["A Defence Force Task Company, and two Security Enforcement Squadron Platoons, Were attacked by an unidentified Army numbering up to 10,000."]

"W-what?"

———

Kara was by a Recently Constructed Outpost, having just arrived 30 minutes ago, she was immediately under the control of the Defence Force, she wanted the consultation of Director, for this attack. The attack conducted by an unidentified army, which can only be described as having armour that can be described as that of Medieval Western Europe, and the Roman Empire.

"An unidentified Army Attacked A DFT Company, and Two SES Platoons."

["What's their current status?!"]

"Several have been Killed In Action and more are Wounded In Action this was mostly because we were caught Off-Guard, and they attempted a peaceful approach, only to be met with hostility, I was calling you for your command, as this may cause problems in the future, this looks to be a legitimate army."

———

I was no pondering, this may as well be the forces of the United Kingdom, the same country that undercover princess I saved originated from, But... For what purpose...?

"Esther, I know you are technically a nomad, but is the United Kingdom a Warmongering and expansionist Nation?"

"Well not exactly, in the past they were partially expansionist, but war wasn't something simply for Defence, some nobles currently are peacemakers, while others still hold on to the past such as the northerners. But as of now, they don't want to cause tension, and waste precious resources over a war, they already have enough land."

"..." I remained silent as I processed her information.

"Esther, There was an Attack on one of my groups, I'm going to ask Kara their appearance, so please listen attentively and tell me if their description matche that of the UKP. Alright?"

"Yes, Director."

"Kara, What is the uniform they wore?"

["They are mostly cladded with armour, but a more distinguishing feature was that they all wore Red capes, and their helmets resembled that of roman Soldiers, but their armour was slightly different."]

"Red capes... The United Kingdom's cape and flag colour is different shades of Blue."

"Wait... Flag? Kara, do they have a flag? if they do please describe it."

["Their flag is red, With Styled Golden Borders, and there is a symbol of a Crown with Two diagonally-positioned Daggers on either side."] Just as she said that, Esther's eyes went wide...

"A crown with two daggers...?"

["Yes, Why?"]

"Director..." her face is now spilled with worry.

"That's The Reichian Empire, the only other Superpower of this continent, they are a prideful and powerful nation, that is currently at war with the UKP, rumours say they are trying everything they can to corner the UKP into submission." She explained, a superpower... That is not good, large swaths of landmass area, excessive numbers, and high influence. That's a bad sign...

"If they are attacking the nomadic lands... I believe they are trying to surround the Capital regions of the UKP."

I was now stuck in thought, but... Even if I were to let them pass and head for the borders of the UKP it is likely they will see our weapons as tempting, and go to war either way... And again, I just saved a princess and this UKP is under constant warfare, draining them of remaining resources, after being cut off by the Empire. I would only be delaying the inevitable, even if I do have advanced technology, I have to be wary of their numbers... and the fact that slavery exists, all prisoners would be treated inhumanely, especially all personnel, and the towns and villages I was trying to restructure and protect...

"Kara... Have the forces engage, and do everything to lower casualties, If they don't surrender... I'm leaving the next actions completely left to you."

A moment of silence passed, before Kara replied, but I did hear a bit of noises in the background

["Affirmative, Sir"] Her tone had a hint of Support and agreement, as-well as being determined. She might have wanted for me to give her the liberty of doing what she wants in the battlefield.

"Esther, Whatever happens... I'am not letting these people destroy more lives within these regions... These people will be under the protection and jurisdiction of the Directorate."

—————

"Forwards!"

"Tch... What is this?! How did these nomads even get their poor hands on Firearms!?"

"Who cares, they aren't a match for the glory of the empire! Their weapons may be fast, but they clearly lack skill, and they are even keeping their distance, they are afraid! Just like the barbarians they are!"

"You see! Everyone, follow me! I shall lead all of you to-" His voice cut off, as a loud boom from the distance Reduced his head into Chum, the Commander's body fell from his horse.

"W-what?!" Another soldier met a similar fate, another boom resounded as it impacted his torso, blowing him in half.

The SES & DF, getting the clear for complete retaliation, Even though Kara was ordered to not cause too much casualties, She was furious for the massacre of The directorate's personnel, at one point three SES female personnel were captured raped, only to be rescued by the DF, However one died caused by three arrows striking her vital organs.

The soldiers under her command were her comrades & responsibility. She radioed for; 'Complete Retaliatory Fire, Cause them to surrender no matter what, Unleash Hell.'

Recoilless rifles, Anti-personnel weapons, and automatic fire, occurred all in unison.

"W-what the hell is this?!" One of the Imperial soldiers yell, as they are now being decimated rapidly.

"Don't stop, keep fighting!"

"What is this speed?! Don't they need to reload their muskets!?"

———

The forces were being steadily pushed back, some were deserting, while most were attempting to continue forward, Two individuals got an idea.

"Hans..." one of them spoke

"Get... Ze... Flammenwerfer!" He yelled, which caused his comrade Hans by his side, to rise from Exit his fortification, passing him. Holding the infamous Flammwerfer in his hands.

"Rieche die Asche!" He yelled as he release fire, freely. The pains and screams of the imperial soldiers traversed the landscape, as one man tears through their formations, spraying fire like a dragon.

"Screw this!"

"Cowards! These Barbarians, are nothing in comparison, You hear me! Charge at them, for the glory of the Emp-!" Him and his horse were ripped from existence, as a HEAP (High-explosive Anti-Personnel) Shell from a Leopard 1A3 Tank struck where they stood.

"Say hello to whoever this world's Satan is for me..." One woman in an SES Uniform said, as she fixes her hat.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.1K 1K 31
Noun: Future Shock [Mass Noun] [ /ˈfyo͞oCHər SHäk/ ] "A state of distress or disorientation due to rapid Social or Technological change." - Oxford En...
105K 1.6K 15
High School DxD: Bullet Hell DxD (OP Reimu Trap Reader x Harem) You, the protagonist. After having been killed, you were sent to another world. This...
2.5K 173 76
It was horrible, everything was in flames, everything was either destroyed or burned. The corpses of his father, his aunt and his uncle as well as th...
34K 1K 23
Reincarnated in Another World With the Ability to Create a Modern Country Dariel a senior high school student who died because of a traffic accident...