Chapter 54

Adelaide groaned as she woke up for the first day of classes. She had Defense Against the Dark Arts first thing and she didn't know if she could handle the sickly sweet voice of Professor Umbridge this early.

She tumbled out of bed, quickly changing into her robes, combing her hair, putting on a light coat of mascara, brushing her teeth, and stumbling out the door. She mildly regretted staying up so late last night talking with her friends, but she missed them all so much. She met Draco in the Common Room since they were the only ones with the exception of Crabbe and Goyle in their class and they walked over. Thankfully they got there early enough to snag the table in the far back.

Slytherins almost always sat in the back of the class. Not because they wanted to get away with goofing off, but they were bound to mutter something sarcastic or snarky and wouldn't want the Professor to hear. This wasn't so much of a problem with Adelaide, but Draco physically couldn't go through one class period without complaining about something.

Draco loudly groaned when he saw the Golden Trio walk in sneering, "Why are they always in our class? Isn't there just one class I can have some peace and quiet in?" Adelaide patted his hand lightly as he glared venomously at the three who had just walked in.

As the rest of the students piled in one of the Patil twins made a beautiful paper bird that gracefully flew through the air. Adelaide glared at Crabbe as he swatted it in the air, but thankfully it recovered and continued until it burst into flames and fell onto the floor. Adelaide looked up and of course it was Professor Umbridge who had burnt the paper bird.

She gave a boring lecture about OWLs which Adelaide wasn't too concerned over. Her mind wandered off until one of the textbooks dropped onto her desk. Adelaide furrowed her brow as she saw the title "Dark Defense for beginners" and it was illustrated with children on the front cover. She glanced at Draco to see him also staring weirdly at the book.

Hermione Granger spoke up, "There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?"

Professor Umbridge giggled, "Why of course not. Why would we need to use spells in my classroom?" Adelaide honestly couldn't care less. There was very little she didn't already know because of her parents and she didn't really need to practice anything because most spells she could do non-verbally and in some cases without a wand. One less class to worry about meant more time she could focus on her task. However, a lot of the Gryffindors seemed to be really upset about it.

Harry Potter began to take the lead, arguing about needing to use spells to defend themselves. Adelaide grew uncomfortable seeing where this conversation could lead. Just as he and Professor Umbridge were beginning to get into a bit of a heated discussion about why on earth they would need to know defensive spells, he then dropped the bomb Adelaide was afraid of,

"Oh, I don't know..maybe Lord Voldemort."

Whispers began to spread throughout the classroom, Adelaide had to dig her nails into her hands to stop them from shaking. Draco softly put his hand on Adelaide's and gave it a reassuring squeeze and groaned loud enough for everyone to hear, "Here we go again." which awarded a few snickers from the Slytherins.

Professor Umbridge completely shut him down. Grilling Harry about how dangerous it is to spread these sort of lies. Adelaide relaxed as she saw the rest of the room begin to also relax with the Professor's reassurance. Potter even received a detention after he threw a complete fit resulting in her screaming at him.

"I have a feeling Potter will be spending at lot of time in detention this year." Draco whispered with a malicious smirk. The only problem with him being punished was Gryffindors were weirdly fueled by the possibility of being a martyr, if anything being put in detention will only make him act out more. She decided to keep tabs on his movements after that, see how he took the detentions.