Chapter 86

Adelaide was surprised to have been invited to the meeting, although she believed it was out of courtesy for Perseus. It was hosted at the Malfoy Manor, so she'd at least be able to see Draco. She didn't quite know what to expect, but Perseus said it mostly was just the Dark Lord making sure everyone was on the same page.

Adelaide slipped into a short, long sleeve black dress with black tights and black penny loafers. She delicately put in her emerald earrings that Draco had given to her last Christmas, they were truly the most beautiful emeralds she had ever seen in her life. She swiped on eyeliner in hopes it would draw attention away from the dark circles under her eyes and a bit of blush to restore color to her face that had still not fully returned since her escape from Azkaban.

Adelaide grabbed a black cloak, smoothed her hair and found Perseus, "Addie, I must warn you. The Dark Lord usually makes a spectacle out of a random prisoner for the meetings. You mustn't make a single noise or look at the prisoner do you understand me?"

She wasn't quite sure how else to react so she nodded her head quickly. He nodded, "Ok then, let's go." They spun into black columns of smoke, landing just outside the Manor. Perseus swooshed his wand and the gates disappeared as they walked through and reappeared behind them.

As Adelaide walked into the Manor, a chill raced down her spine. The foyer was no longer decorated, it had been completely stripped of any portraits or decorative rugs, the fireplace was dark, it was all stone and cold. Perseus and her quickly walked up the stone steps, noticing that the paintings that had once been on the walls were gone. Adelaide paused momentarily as she walked into the drawing room which had a large table in the middle of it, a few Death Eaters already seated and at the end of the table there was something floating.

No not something, someone. Adelaide recognized her as the woman who taught her as a child. She never had her as a teacher at Hogwarts because she taught Muggle Studies. She could feel her heart leap into her throat, but she remembered what Perseus said, don't make a single noise or look at the prisoner. She swallowed and turned her attention to the table, the Dark Lord smiled, "Ah, the Burkes. I'm glad you are here early, take a seat." he motioned towards the large table. The Malfoys were sitting incredibly stiff, not talking to each other, just staring at their hands. The other death eaters were chatting lightly as if it was just a normal day for them.

Adelaide struggled not to look up at her previous teacher who was whimpering slightly upside down above the table. It was a horrific sight to see and made the air incredibly tense. Adelaide did her best to not rush over to Draco as quickly as she could, but rather let it seem like it was Perseus' idea to sit next to the Malfoys. She gently sat next to Draco, who didn't acknowledge her presence, she didn't acknowledge his either. They both knew they needed to show little to no sign of affection for each other in front of the Dark Lord. A few more Death Eaters trickled in.

Pius Thicknesse walked into the room and sat at the other head of the table. The Dark Lord introduced him saying he was going to be the new Minister of Magic once he had settled in the rest of the key players in the Ministry to fully take over. No one in the Wizarding World knew that Rufus Scrimgeour was dead yet, they just thought he put in his resignation and was awaiting a replacement. The Head of the Magical Law Enforcement, Corban Yaxley also walked in, sitting next to Perseus. Nagini made herself comfortable behind Pius Thicknesse's chair and the prisoner hung above him.

There was light chatter, nothing more above a whisper from some Death Eaters, Adelaide slowly reached for Draco's hand under the table. She saw him slightly relax as she made contact with him and he let out a nervous shudder. He grabbed her hand back desperately, she could tell his hands were shaking.

Apparently, the Dark Lord was not too pleased with Lucius when he returned from Azkaban, he made a huge spectacle after Adelaide and Draco had snuck upstairs, yelling at how much of an embarrassment Lucius was to him and how he was lucky he was letting him live. After a few minutes of the Cruciatus Curse, the Dark Lord said the only reason Lucius was released from Azkaban was to reward Draco for his role in the death of Dumbledore. Ever since that day, she was forbidden by Perseus to return to the Malfoy Manor or see Draco, which of course she ended up sneaking out anyways and meeting him in the gardens.