Chapter 2

Philip wrapped a protective arm around Adelaide's shoulder and redirected her to the other train compartment, shooting the two Gryffindor students a deathly glare who shrunk into their seats. She was used to her brothers constantly shielding her from half blood families, blood traitor families, and muggle-born families. 

Her family coddled Adelaide so severely, they feared she would be sorted into Hufflepuff her first year for her sweet, gullible disposition. Thankfully, she was able to silently bargain with the Sorting Hat and was placed in Slytherin against its better judgement. 

There was no hiding the fact that the girl was adored amongst her peers and elders. The Daily Prophet even wrote a piece on the Burke Family, labeling Adelaide "The Sweetheart of the Wizarding World." She was extremely popular in the Slytherin groups, getting along with practically everyone, never being teased or bullied like some of the other students. She sometimes wished people were a little more rough around the edges with her, she felt that she had to maintain this formal interaction with people, only letting her guard down around her brothers and her close-knit friends.

Last year, a boy in Gryffindor slipped Love Potion in her drink, making her uncontrollably swoon over him. Her brothers, confused at her sudden fascination of the boy of whom she never even met before, did some investigation and found what he had done. Needless to say, the boy ended up being found tied to the womping willow the next day, unconscious and barely alive. Once she came around, she was deeply embarrassed by the situation. No one ever dared approach the girl after that, leaving her extremely lonely at times. 

She wasn't too upset however, she loved her friends in Slytherin. Draco Malfoy, Vincent Crabbe, Greggory Goile, her cousin Marcus Flint, and her best friend Viola Richmond were in her year and made incredible friends. 

She sat down in the empty train compartment and her brothers stood outside the door chatting with Graham Montague about the upcoming Quidditch season. She rolled her eyes as Graham shot her a wink and smile. She shifted her position to look outside the window, petting her black cat, Lucia. 

The Malfoys had given her the beautiful cat for her 14th birthday and she felt obligated to name the cat partially after her godfather, Lucius Malfoy. Speaking of, the blonde hair boy came strutting into the compartment giving her a smirk, "Hello Addie-Loo, how was your summer?" Adelaide glared up at him for the nickname she despised, but eventually broke a smile up at her friend. She'd known him most of her life and overlooked his cruel behavior towards others due to his soft nature towards her, "It was splendid! Mum and I spent a few weeks in Greece. Perseus and Philip helped Dad with some business while we were there. How about yours?" 

Draco was about to answer when Crabbe and Goyle came stumbling in like a bunch of blind elephants. "Oh for Merlins sake, sit down you clumsy oafs." Draco sneered, ripping the back of their sweaters down to take a seat. Brushing off the sudden outburst, Draco smoothed back his hair and replied, "My summer was pretty alright. How do you like Lucia?" he giggled, the naming of the cat after his father was one of the funniest things he had ever seen. His father had a soft spot for his goddaughter and knew she was the only one who would dare name a cat after him.

 The cat jumped off Adelaide's lap and rubbed its head on Draco's pant leg purring and looking up for permission to jump on his lap. His eyebrow raised into a silent snare, not wanting the cat to get hair all over his shirt. Adelaide giggled, sweeping up the cat from the ground, "I absolutely adore her. She is so so sweet" she cooed kissing the cat's head, "I especially love how she despises Perseus. She gets super angry around him, probably because she senses his dislike towards her." 

She set the cat next to her as her best friend Viola came in, her jet black hair sitting perfectly on her shoulders, along with her boyfriend, Adelaide's cousin, Flint.