Chapter 23

The silence in the study was deafening. Philip rushed over to Adelaide, catching her before she fell. He stared into his father's eyes with a cold, hatred that could've dropped the temperature 20 degrees.

"Father, I accept this with great honor and appreciation, but why Adelaide and Perseus too? Surely I can be sufficient for the family."

Perseus cut him off and snapped, "Speak for yourself Philip."

Adelaide stirred, looking up at Philip

What happened?

During their Occlumency and Legilimency training, Philip and Adelaide had learned how to separate off a part of their mind as a form of silent communication between the two. He made her promise if she were ever in trouble to contact him using their form of communication. 

"Fine, Perseus and I, but we should leave Adelaide out of it." Philip's voice cracked, holding his poor sister in his arms. It was the only time she had heard Philip somewhat plead for anything and show true emotion in his life.

Their father launched towards Philip, causing him to drop Adelaide onto the ground. He grabbed his shirt collar and bringing him unbearably close, his hands shaking and hair a wild mess. Adelaide held her breath helplessly on the ground, trying to stay conscious enough to make sure her father didn't try to actually kill her brother, "Do you want to tell that to the Dark Lord Philip, huh?" he shrieked, shaking Philip's collar roughly. Philip's jaw clenched and a look of promised death exuded his eyes. His father threw Philip away from him while turning away and running his hands through his hair in frustration.

"Go upstairs now and get some rest. We have an early morning. And Wear something nice!" he hissed flinging the door open with a flick of his hand. He grabbed his glass of firewhiskey, chugging it dry while his eyes crazily whisked back and forth, mumbling to himself.

Perseus helped Adelaide up from the ground. The three made their way out of the study and as Adelaide began to weakly make her way up the stairs to her room a soft hand rested on hers. She looked up to see her mother looking at her sweetly. She managed to tuck in her crazy a little better than her father did, but her hair was kept slightly more disheveled than usual and bags clung to her brilliant, rich brown eyes. "I have something for you Addie." she reached into her pocket and brought out a velvet bag. Inside rested a necklace with a glowing green jewel, a snake wrapped itself around the jewel. "It's a family heirloom, gifted to one of your ancestors by Salazar Slytherin himself. It's said to be able to bewitch the mind of anyone you so please, they'll do whatever you want if you just ask." Adelaide gulped as she carefully took the necklace into her hands. She gave her mother an empty smile, "Thank you, it's beautiful." 

Before she continued to go upstairs her mother grabbed her again, this time with a harder, desperate grip, "I mean it Adelaide, anyone." she released her grip and looked around, paranoid. As her mother looked to the right, Adelaide noticed a deep bruise on her neck, "Mother, who did that?" as she reached out, her mother grabbed her hand, with a look of anger and fear mixed together. The anger flew out of her eyes, replacing it with shock, sadness, and confusion, "It's nothing dear, don't worry about it." and she walked away silently. 

She knew her father was becoming more stressed by the day, but she didn't acknowledge how truly violent he was becoming until then.

----

The next morning around 3AM the three Burkes reluctantly walked down, her brothers wearing all black suits and Adelaide a short black blazer dress. She was thankful the long sleeves hid the bruises she had on her arms from all the fighting she had been doing. 

None of them spoke to each other, no one other than her father was awake in the house. He impatiently huffed at the bottom of the stairs, encouraging them to come down faster. The moonlight shone on Adelaide's face and Philip's stomach seethed in hatred seeing how scared she looked. He spent his whole life protecting his little sister from harm and suddenly he was expected to walk her into the middle of her worst nightmare? He couldn't protect her from this and it infuriated him. He hated this entire summer not being in complete control of the situation, his anger so strong he would begin shaking as soon as he was alone.