Chapter 8

Adelaide finally gathered herself together enough to let go of George and dry themselves using a drying spell.

"Come back to the Gryffindor Common Room, you'll be safe there." 

A feeling of pure relief flooded her veins at George's offer. She didn't think she could look a Slytherin in the face, never mind enter the Common Room. She sniffled and nodded her head, giving him a weak smile of gratitude.

George wrapped his arm around her shoulder keeping her close, still paranoid that her brother would pop out of no where and try out the Killing Curse, since he was on a roll. 

His father briefly mentioned the Unforgivable curses that were banned by the Ministry, but he never elaborated on them and certainly didn't tell them how to perform the spells. He was sort of terrified that her brother used the spell so casually as if it were a simple hex. He nervously looked down at Adelaide wondering if she, too, were taught Dark Magic. 

He quickly pushed the doubts away, feeling guilty for comparing her to her brother. She was obviously picking a side against her family for a reason and he had no intention on stereotyping her into the category she was clearly trying to escape. 

Despite her red puffy eyes, she was still the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. The wave of sadness overwhelmed him again as he stared at her sad expression. As they approached the portrait, he gave out the password and was stopped by a huffing Professor McGonagall, "Now Mr. Weasley, you know you cannot bring in girls from other Houses into the-.." she stopped her rant as she saw the distraught Burke girl at his side.

Professor McGonagall was very acquainted with the Weasley boys, they had given her more trouble in the five years they had been there than she had ever experienced in her entire teaching career. Needless to say, they were her favorite students. The expression that Mr. Weasley had on his face troubled Professor McGonagall deeply, he usually had a cheerful, confident smile, but his eyes now were filled with fear and uncertainty. 

"Oh my dear, what happened." The girl let out a quiet sob, leaving Professor McGonagall dumfounded. "Help yourself into the Common Room Ms. Burke, Mr. Weasley could you come with me please?" 

Adelaide walked into the Common Room, collapsing into one of the empty chairs trying to calm herself. George nervously walked with Professor McGonagall, tucking his hands inside his pant pockets.

The Professor whipped around in the middle of the corridor, "Explain to me what happened." 

George recounted the wild events that happened, explaining Philip's accusation of Adelaide being a blood traitor of which Professor McGonagall waved off, her knowing of the harsh beliefs most pureblood families held. She stood there in complete silence, making the boy squirm in nervousness. 

"I must call the Ministry at once." she said making her way past George. 

George chased after Professor McGonagall, "Excuse me Professor, why would you call the Ministry?" attempting to control her anger she warbled out, "Mr. Burke used an Unforgivable Curse. He will be sent to Azkaban by nightfall if I can help it." George's face dropped as he realized that he just snitched on one of the most powerful wizards at Hogwarts.

His father said a common phrase that muggles liked to use was "snitches get stitches" but in this case, he knew he was in for more than just a few stitches.

"But, Professor. What about Adelaide?" George nervously asked, terrified of the thought of her going back to the snake pit.

Professor McGonagall looked down at the floor, uncertain of what she could do. She whipped out her wand and said, "Accio Sorting Hat" 

As the brown wizard hat flew into her hands she asked, "What do you remember of sorting Ms. Adelaide Burke." the Sorting Hat shifted and laughed, "The girl who would've fit in any other house, but Slytherin yet begged to be placed there?" 

Professor McGonagall exhaled in grief. She was troubled by the alarming amount of students born of prevalent Slytherin families who felt pressured to plead to the Sorting Hat to place them in Slytherin despite their personalities belonging elsewhere. 

Professor McGonagall sighed in defeat. "I'm afraid there's nothing else I can do Mr. Weasley. However, for now, I will turn a blind eye for her to stay with the Gryffindors for the night. Try to minimize anyone seeing her, hopefully we can contain this incident to keep her safe from..-"

Her voice trailed off, but George knew what she meant. If anyone in Slytherin found out about her betrayal, there would be a target on not only his back, but her's as well. 

"She has a power in her, stronger than I have ever seen. It's dark, very dark. If she continues on the path she's on, there's no doubt she will become a Death Eater." The Sorting Hat spoke, interrupting the silence.

Professor McGonagall and George looked at each other, deeply troubled by the Sorting Hat's prophetic words, creating a deeper feeling of helplessness than they had before.