Chapter 34

Viola and Adelaide skipped down the hall back to the Common Room in a cheerful mood. The girls were ecstatic about the ball. 

"I know it's kind of obvious I'm going with Marcus, but I kind of hope he still asks me in a somewhat dramatic and romantic way." Viola giggled. Adelaide smiled back at her, "I'll make sure I put a bug in my cousin's ear." they continued to talk giddily about what dress they wanted, how they wanted to do their hair, what shoes they were planning to wear. Adelaide, despite being genuinely excited, couldn't help but feel slightly upset. She really wanted to go with George, but knew she couldn't. The thought of going with any one else was painful, but she also really didn't want to go alone. 

As the two continued down the hall, they saw Sebestyen and Luca talking angrily and slightly shoving each other. As soon as they saw Adelaide, they both stopped and turned a decent shade red, sending dagger glares at each other. 

"Is everything alright boys?" Adelaide questioned. It was strange seeing them angry at each other knowing they were best friends. 

Sebestyen clenched his jaw one last time at Luca before giving Adelaide a handsome smile, offering her his arm. "All is well my sweet Adelaide. I believe Luca was just leaving." he said the last part through clenched teeth. Luca shot him one of his famous malicious glares before offering his arm to Adelaide's other arm, "You are mistaken Sebestyen, I wasn't planning on going anywhere."

Adelaide stood in the middle of them awkwardly as they continued to glare at each other. Viola stood off to the side, her eyes wide with excitement, soaking in the drama. She knew exactly what was going on. 

Adelaide awkwardly cleared her throat and asked, "Would you two perhaps like to join me outside by the lake? It's a beautiful day." she flashed them her most convincing, charming smile in hopes they would lighten the mood a bit.

The two's eyes softened at her proposal and immediately agreed. She relaxed slightly seeing the tension leave from their shoulders and their jaws unclench. She wasn't quite sure what happened between the two, but hopefully with some fresh air, the sunshine, and her as a mediator they could talk it out without causing a scene or fighting each other. 

As they made their way outside, Adelaide lightly asked how their day was. They were both acting overly charming to her, insisting that she tell them how her day went. She had no idea why they were acting so strange, but as she mentioned the dance class from Snape, the two immediately tensed up and quickly exchanged a panicked, desperate glare. "Speaking of, Addie, has anyone asked you to the ball yet?" Sebestyen spoke up shooting Luca a nasty glare of which Luca returned, tightening his grip on Adelaide's arm which pulled her more towards him.

Ohhhh...that's what this is about. 

Adelaide's cheeks turned pink as they sat down by the lake. "Um, well..not yet." she nervously played with the sleeves of her robe. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to go with either Sebestyen or Luca. She also didn't want them to be angry at each other if she chose one over the other because she really enjoyed both of their company and would hate seeing their friendship ruined over something as silly as this. She admitted she was closer with Sebestyen than Luca, but neither of them were even close to being George.

Just before the two could begin groveling, Draco came rushing out of the castle. He had overheard Viola loudly bragging to Flint about how Adelaide's Durmstrang boys were fighting over who got to go to the Yule Ball with her. He tried to calm himself down, but over the past few days the two Durmstrangs had pushed him over the edge and the corner of his vision began to turn red. He thought Adelaide and him had had a moment the other day in the Common Room after he was turned into a ferret, when they studied in the library together, and during the dance class. He was kicking himself, why didn't he ask her right then and there while they were dancing? He narrowed in on her as she sat with the two, chatting with her beautiful lips and deep gaze. He clenched his fists, making his way towards her, his vision now completely red.