Chapter 20

It was the day before everyone was to head home for the summer. Perseus and Adelaide were informed by Snape that their parents were currently wanted by the Ministry and that they would be going to the Malfoy's for the summer. Despite already knowing this news, her and her brother received it like a punch in the gut. It was always suspected that their parents were dark wizards that sold illegal artifacts, but the fact that it was now confirmed made it difficult for them to walk to class or eat in the Great Hall without getting stared at or whispered about. 

Adelaide knew she had to find George and explain what was happening. Her heart shredded at the thought that she wouldn't be able to see him for three whole months. He would probably forget about her by then. 

As Adelaide began to eat her breakfast, a Gryffindor boy came up to Adelaide and loudly questioned, "Did you know your parents were Death Eaters?"

Her face grew pale, everyone had stopped talking and was now staring at her for an answer.

"Of course she knew" another Gryffindor chimed in, "She's probably one herself!" 

Adelaide was at a loss for words, her voice caught in her throat, making it impossible to defend herself. It took all her energy to just not cry in front of everyone. 

Draco stood up and grabbed the Gryffindor who tried to accuse her of being a death eater and snarled, "I'd be a bit more careful with your next words."

The foolish boy decided to further dig his grave, "Oh look! Burke has herself a Death Eater boyfriend as well!" 

"That's it." Blaise yelled, slamming his fist into the table and launching himself at the Gryffindor. The rest of the Slytherin boys got up and it turned into a full on brawl amongst them and a few Gryffindors who decided to join the fight.

Adelaide bolted out of the Great Hall, so no one would see her break down.

George, seeing her, managed to slip out as well, while everyone was distracted by the commotion. He whipped around the corner and saw her walking down the hallway with her face buried into her hands. She ran into the girl's bathroom and George, knowing no one would go into this lavatory because of Moaning Murtle, chased after her. 

She leaned over the sink, letting out a loud sob, before rinsing her face with water to try and calm herself down. Everyone thought she was a Death Eater now. George wouldn't want to associate himself with her now, and she wouldn't even blame him.

As she cried, she heard a familiar voice that struck joy and deep sadness into her core, "Addie?"

She looked up into the mirror and saw George standing behind her with a devastated expression. She turned around to look at George, hoping he didn't hate her. George reached out and softly wiped a tear that was running down her face. His heart shattered into a million pieces seeing her so upset. He pulled her into his chest and wrapped his arms around her. She cried for a solid five minutes, mostly because she was relieved that George didn't seem to hate her.

"Addie, darling, don't listen to those gits. They have no idea what they're talking about." he whispered, kissing her head, "Fred and I will be sure to give them another beating if they aren't already being sent to the Hospital Wing." She laughed through her tears, finally having the courage to look up at him.

"You still want to be with me after all this?" she questioned. She thought for sure that him finding out that her parents were on the run from the Ministry would deter him from wanting to be with her. She knew his father worked for the Ministry.

"Why would you ever think that?" he sounded hurt at the accusation. "Addie, I know you don't believe in what your parents believe in. You're different. You're on the good side." 

She winced, was she on the good side? Her friends, her family, everyone she surrounded herself with was on the side of the Dark Lord. If she had half the bravery and goodness as George had, she would have left her family and friends, especially knowing that he'd be back this time next year.

"I sometimes can't tell what side I'm on George. I want to just run away from all of this, but I'm too much of a coward." she shuttered, she wasn't used to feeling insecure about herself until that moment, she never felt so weak and disgusting in her life. 

"You aren't a coward" George whispered, softly stroking her hair. They stood there in a gentle embrace, soaking up the time they had together before they had to leave each other for three months. 

"I have to stay with the Malfoy's this summer." Adelaide muttered. She looked up at George, afraid of what he was going to say. He was clearly upset about this news. "With the Malfoy's? Why them?"  

"My parents and the Malfoy's are very close. They do business together and they're my...god parents." she said slightly embarrassed now.

"Wait, so Draco's your god brother?" George let out a laugh.

She looked up at him, knowing exactly where he was going with this. "So he's basically like your brother, that's what you're saying." 

Adelaide giggled a bit, "Well George, when you say it like that." His face contorted, "Eugh, and to think you were all over him the other week. That's just disgusting Addie, really." She punched his shoulder, "Shut up, it was for the plan, you know that." laughing.

The two laughed momentarily before George tucked a piece of her soft hair behind Adelaide's ear, "You're so beautiful. Promise you'll write to me?" her cheeks warmed under his intense, admiring gaze. She smiled up at him and replied, "I'll try my best to write to you, you cannot under any circumstance try to contact me though, it's far too dangerous."

"You know I like a little danger" he cheekily smirked grabbing Adelaide's waist and pulling her closer to him. 

"I'm serious George!" she cried, blushing a bit at how close he was now to her. Ignoring her words, he looked down at her lips and said, "Mhm, so am I." and kissed her deeply. His tongue gently grazed her bottom lip making her swoon. 

She absolutely adored the boy who, in a matter of ten minutes could bring her from a puddle of tears to almost touching the heavens. She knew it was way too soon and she was falling for him far too fast, but she couldn't help but think she was beginning to love George Weasley.

"What if they find out what I did?"

"Shh..don't worry about that Addie, they won't find out. I'll get you out of this somehow, I promise."